DEV Discussions (Oracle)
 invalid bookmark value
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rahanini
Starting Member

35 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2002 :  00:10:44  Show Profile  Send Rahanini an AOL message
I have been having a recurring issue with data not comming back from my database as the correct type. I am starting to think it may have something to do with the getrows() function as this seems to be the primary ADODB method of bringing information back from the database throughout the forum.

My latest error is as follows:

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E0E)
[Oracle][ODBC]Invalid bookmark value.
/dgv2test/forum.asp, line 308

the following line in bold is the portion of forum.asp giving the problem:

set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs.cachesize = strPageSize
rs.open strSql & strSql2 & strSql3 & strSql4, my_Conn, adOpenStatic
if not rs.EOF then
rs.movefirst
rs.pagesize = strPageSize
inttotaltopics = cLng(rs.recordcount)
rs.absolutepage = mypage '**
maxpages = cLng(rs.pagecount)
arrTopicData = rs.GetRows(strPageSize) iTopicCount = UBound(arrTopicData, 2)
else
iTopicCount = ""
inttotaltopics = 0
end if
rs.Close
set rs = nothing

Thank you for any assistance you can offer me.

Rahanini<

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2002 :  00:57:03  Show Profile
maybe it has to do with oracle? also, the line you have in bold looks like it's on the same line as another statement. was that a typo?<

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~

Edited by - Nikkol on 03 October 2002 00:57:27
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2002 :  01:03:27  Show Profile
Why do I put up with Visual InterDev? Because of the debugger, you can single-step through your code and verify the values, and you should be able to pinpoint the problem very quickly.

Without the debugger, you can put some selective response.write statements in the code to show you critical variable values.

One possibility is that the Oracle driver doesn't provide a recordset that supports bookmarks.
<

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page

Rahanini
Starting Member

35 Posts

Posted - 06 October 2002 :  22:35:24  Show Profile  Send Rahanini an AOL message
i think you are write that the oracle driver is having some problems with retrieving the records.

I am curious if the getrows() function has something to do with this. As what is happening is that whenever data is brought back from the oracle database via getrows(), the ODBC driver interprets all the data coming back as strings. I found in some obscure discussion forum that there is a way to control how data is brought back in ASP, I however am still figuring out how to do this. I want numbers to be brought back as numbers and characters as characters.

If you have any insight on the getrows() function and how this might affect data brought back please share.

Thank you ,
Rahanini<
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 06 October 2002 :  23:34:34  Show Profile
AFAIK getrows() is an ADO function not a database function. You must create and populate an ado recordset prior to executing getrows(), which copies the recordset data into an array. If the data is all string data I don't think getrows() is the problem.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/mdmthgetrows.asp<

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page

toast
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 30 December 2002 :  18:41:48  Show Profile  Visit toast's Homepage
OMG I killed it.
Some of my users told me they couldn't log in. I started looking arond and noticed on here some one mentioning that the database had gotten corrupt and suggested doing a compact and repair. So..I went and did that to my DB and a new table showed up named MSysCompactError. it refered to the FORUM_MEMBERS table so I looked in there and a secion of about 7 consecutive users information had all been filled in with ######### for every field. I logged into the forum and looked on the members page and it showed up all ######### for those users there too. I tried to delete some of them but it said someting about URL has been modified Possible hacking attempt. Scared I started looking around for my last backup. I figured that I might be able to copy the users from the old DB into the new one. So I copy and past but..the fields I past don't autonumber for some reason. I think maybe it will autonumber if I just close and reopen the DB..that didn't work. So next I try to log into the forum to see how it looks there...all the users are back..and..I test one..they can log in but then when they try to view any topics it says they have successfully logged out. So next I figure I lost some users anyways I might as well try things so I copy the entire FORUM_MEMBERS table from the old DB and overwrite the one in the new DB. now I can't even view the members page. Over the course of several DB backups I have the records for all 27 members to my forum. How would I go about putting them back together. Also..in one of my backups I noticed that the autonumber skips from 10 to 12 so...does that mean that a user was deleted or something..how do I recreate this..if I have the same user name in a new table I create with a different primary key will the forum know that this person is still the same person or will it think they are some one differrent.

Sorry for being so long winded but I'm really cheesed that my forum is busted.<
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 30 December 2002 :  18:49:30  Show Profile
sorry to hear of your problems, but you really should have put this in a new post. you're problem has nothing to do with oracle.<

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

toast
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 30 December 2002 :  23:17:31  Show Profile  Visit toast's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Nikkol

sorry to hear of your problems, but you really should have put this in a new post. you're problem has nothing to do with oracle.

oops...sorry..Guess I will copy and paste in a new post...any idea where it should go?<
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07