Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Help Groups for Snitz Forums 2000 Users
 Help: General / Classic ASP versions(v3.4.XX)
 Upgrading and re-adding mod's
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2002 :  17:51:20  Show Profile
This thought has been bugging me for a while now, but I couldn't form it properly in my mind. I'm about to start testing it for real but I thought someone else may be able to provide me with a faster answer - although I'll post my test results here as well. The problem is ...

I have v.3.3.05 with AU and PM mod's installed (maybe a few others I can't think about at the moment). When I upgrade I understand I'll need to re-add the mod code to the existing 3.4.03 ASP code, but ..

1. Won't the fields/tables for the mod's still exist in the database ?

2. When I do mod setup, some of the 'alter table' commands may error (the fields are already there) - that's ok, but what happens with the redundant fields ?

3. Will this adversely affect the upgrade at all ?

Anyone like to share their experiences ? .. I did a search, but I couldn't find anything close to this.

Thanks

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2002 :  17:58:08  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by laser

1. Won't the fields/tables for the mod's still exist in the database ?

Yes.

quote:

2. When I do mod setup, some of the 'alter table' commands may error (the fields are already there) - that's ok, but what happens with the redundant fields ?

I guess you can delete the fields that you will be no longer needing. Make sure to backup the database before you do any changes.

quote:

3. Will this adversely affect the upgrade at all ?

It's possible, yes, but it can also bring no problems. You probably need to try and post here for help on any specific issues.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too

Edited by - ruirib on 21 September 2002 17:58:58
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2002 :  18:01:53  Show Profile
All tables will stay, some might be updated or get new fields to accommodate new options in the forums. Also the Hide Email MOD and Email Validation MOD are standard now, and either one of those two (I think it's the Email Validation MOD) requires the table, if there already is one, to be deleted first. Make sure that if you have either of those two MODs installed, that you have no pending members.

You will get errors if you already have a MOD installed, but no fields should get deleted unless the MOD's database installation file is setup to do that. Redundant fields will therefore still be there, but will stay empty. You could go into the database and manually delete those. They'll be added again if you install the same MOD for 3.4.xx again though so deleting those fields might not really be necessary.

It shouldn't affect the upgrade at all for the reasons I named above. I might've missed something or left something out though, but that's mostly because I really have to go to the bathroom but want to finish this first
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2002 :  18:13:51  Show Profile
Thanks guys . I can't remember installing the Hide Email mod, but I know my users can hide their emails (I've only ever used Snitz 3.3.x, that might explain it). Anyway, thanks for the tips, I'm going to start the upgrade soon.
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2002 :  18:24:26  Show Profile
Hopefully poll mod users won't delete thier poll mod fields. As I will have an upgrade script to update thier database with the new poll mod. Otherwise they will lose thier polls.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2002 :  02:38:32  Show Profile
Well, the upgrade went well - to a point. I'm SURE the Active Users mod was working before I tried to add the HTML formatting I need on my site. When I got the formatting working the AU mod didn't work any more. Also, I couldn't get a proper include statement to work in inc_header.asp.

I've abandoned the upgrade for now, I'll figure out what went wrong and try again, but if anyone has any ideas that would be great
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07