Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  11:43:47  Show Profile
I have decided to write a Snitz Forums MOD Guide for the mod authors and users who are deciding to create mods. I have already started it and already put a lot of work into it. But it still has a lot work left to do before it is completed. And it is too much work for me to complete.

So, instead of the Snitz Team here work on it, I decided I will let the community help with it. After all, this is not just the Snitz Teams forum. It's your forum.

This will be an official MOD Guide for the forums. I am not looking for new ideas (although they are welcomed), I am looking to finish what I have started.

Here is what I have started so far: http://www.dsilvera.com/misc/mod_doc.htm
Most of the content are place holders to put in for later.

I would appreciate mod authors or other dev team members and moderators to help out in providing the content for each topic posted there. You will post what topic you are willing to write on, that you feel you can contribute to and write what knowledge you have on that topic. You will write this in a .txt file, upload it your server/website and post a link to it so I can view it. You can write as much as you can, or as a little as you can.

I would prefer members who have been around Snitz for a while to participate in this.

For the database fields, the functions and subs, if you believe you have enough experience to write descriptions on these, please go ahead. This is for advanced users though. You will see I have a description for 2 functions as an example so far.

If there are any questions, please let me know. Please keep any new ideas you might have to add to this to a minimum.

Support Snitz Forums

Edited by - Davio on 12 September 2002 12:01:15

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  11:54:36  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
Your link is dead.

@tomic

SportsBettingAcumen.com
Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  11:56:26  Show Profile
Davio the link is showing - HTTP/1.1 404 Object Not Found
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  12:02:27  Show Profile
quote:
Your link is dead.
What? Did you kill it? Do you see who did?

It's fixed, sorry about that.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  12:07:43  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
The butler did it!

@tomic

SportsBettingAcumen.com
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  12:08:36  Show Profile
Did you lose the file I sent you with the descriptions of some of the functions (and files names where the functions could be found), or was it as worthless as I thought it'd be?
Go to Top of Page

burthold

USA
426 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  12:11:02  Show Profile  Visit burthold's Homepage
do you want to break up the functions table's and cookie/subroutines up so people don't work on the same chunk as someone else? I am already going through the fucntions now and would LOVE to help with this project! I love the page layout too.

Wes
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  12:11:07  Show Profile
No I didn't lose it Frutzle. I still have it. But there is a lot more functions and subs there that needs to be done. I haven't worked on this since I came back, so the info you gave me hasn't been included yet.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  12:12:43  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
I did a super long breakdown of getCurrentIcon:
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34148

I would add some of these coding tips:
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34586
(explicitly destroy objects, connection pooling etc)

@tomic

SportsBettingAcumen.com
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  12:14:29  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
Oh, and how to code to protect against SQL injection attacks would be usefull.

@tomic

SportsBettingAcumen.com
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  12:15:52  Show Profile
quote:
do you want to break up the functions table's and cookie/subroutines up so people don't work on the same chunk as someone else? I am already going through the fucntions now and would LOVE to help with this project! I love the page layout too.
You can do a few functions and/or subs at a time and post which ones you are doing. I will gradually integrate the info I get from everyone into the document.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

burthold

USA
426 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  12:16:29  Show Profile  Visit burthold's Homepage
I've got functions coded to protect against sql injection attacks.
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  12:20:58  Show Profile
The DisplayUsersAge and DOBToDate functions I have already done to show you an example of what it is going to be like. (For those users who are willing to work on the functions).

Tomic, think you can put the content you have on those pages into a .txt file? It makes it much easier for me to organize what everyone is offering by downloading the .txt file with the info so i can do the work offline. It would be appreciated.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

burthold

USA
426 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  12:31:27  Show Profile  Visit burthold's Homepage
http://www.wesworld.net/mods/files/sqlinsertfunctions.txt

here are two basic string validators to prevent some basic insertion attacks.

Wes
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  12:38:15  Show Profile
We already have functions that prevent sql injections. The ChkString() function prevents such attacks. I believe tomic was saying that the document should include what mod authors should do in thier mods to prevent such a thing. Passing any user input into a sql query needs to go through ChkString function to prevent that.

That will be part of the doc.

Support Snitz Forums

Edited by - Davio on 12 September 2002 12:40:07
Go to Top of Page

alex042
Average Member

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2002 :  13:11:42  Show Profile  Send alex042 an AOL message  Send alex042 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
I would prefer members who have been around Snitz for a while to participate in this.

I may not be a veteran, but I thought I'd leave my 2 cents. There doesn't seem to be much on what should be included in the readme.txt files included in MODs, so for my 2 cents, I think the MOD authors should include some standards info like: MOD Name and copyright info, version info, features, and installation instructions including how difficult the MOD may be to implement. Standard versioning might some something like v99.99.99 (major version, minor version, bug fixes) Implementation ease should probably be somewhat objective with some guidelines because what an author might think is easy, the person adding it might not. For example, just a link might be a 1, but if database fields need to be created, this might add a couple more difficulty points, etc. I don't know if I should write up something or if someone can take this and run with it.

As for the actual coding, I could provide some input there, but it looks like there are some veterans who have already volunteered.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07