Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4207 Posts

Posted - 25 September 2002 :  16:56:58  Show Profile
There are some areas which aren't hidden which have messages within them. I'll try creating a completely open forum (no login required) to see if that's the issue.
Go to Top of Page

jay_v

85 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2002 :  06:35:07  Show Profile
I don't get this mod. So the static pages are created. How are they going to get spidered?
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2002 :  07:31:45  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by jay_v

I don't get this mod. So the static pages are created. How are they going to get spidered?

simply because they exist
Go to Top of Page

jay_v

85 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2002 :  07:39:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

quote:

SHouldn't something link to them first?
Go to Top of Page

antracit
Starting Member

Sweden
33 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2002 :  08:02:09  Show Profile  Visit antracit's Homepage
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

quote:

SHouldn't something link to them first?

They are liked to their Topic's i think

johan
Go to Top of Page

jay_v

85 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2002 :  09:22:00  Show Profile
yes they link to their topics but what links to them?? how will the spiders find them in the first place?
Go to Top of Page

snaayk

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2002 :  11:38:14  Show Profile  Visit snaayk's Homepage  Send snaayk an AOL message  Send snaayk an ICQ Message  Send snaayk a Yahoo! Message
spiders find pages by "spidering" the web. Crawlers, robots, thats what they do. They can't find dynamic page topics because they are stored in the db. So this script will create static html pages that CAN be indexed by the crawlers. When people go to the indexed static page they will get redirected to the dynamic asp page.
Go to Top of Page

jay_v

85 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2002 :  16:13:58  Show Profile
Yes it's clear to me that the static pages are indexable. But from what I understand, search engines are able to add pages to their database only by jumping from link to link and indexing each new page as it is found. But if the static pages aren't linked by anything, how can the search engine find it?
Go to Top of Page

cyclingdude

68 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2002 :  17:16:55  Show Profile
I just added this MOD and I looked at the files it created in my Topic folder. Why is it outputting the topics from my private forum? I have "Al Visitors Allowed" in my public forum... and "Allowed Members List (Hidden)" for my private forum. TopicMaker is outputting topics from all my forum, including the Hidden one. Why is that?

2nd Question: If I try to view the contents of my TOPICS folder from the web (http://www.SampleSite.com/Topics/) I get the message: "Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed."

Will this cause a problem for Spiders? I had asked my webhost to make that folder Read/Write accessible. What else should I be doing?

Edited by - cyclingdude on 28 September 2002 17:19:12
Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2002 :  18:53:58  Show Profile
Cyclingdude...

No Idea why this is happening, whereas carefee was unable to do this. I will look at it and see why..
quote:
Originally posted by cyclingdude

I just added this MOD and I looked at the files it created in my Topic folder. Why is it outputting the topics from my private forum? I have "Al Visitors Allowed" in my public forum... and "Allowed Members List (Hidden)" for my private forum. TopicMaker is outputting topics from all my forum, including the Hidden one. Why is that?

This is common. In IIS you need to have a name specified to get a default page, when none is given, and if it can not find any from the list in IIS, it will give the directory listing denied message (which can be turned on if you want the directory listed). The spiders/web crawlers or what ever you want to call them will still find any file in that directory, they crawl.
quote:
Originally posted by cyclingdude

2nd Question: If I try to view the contents of my TOPICS folder from the web (http://www.SampleSite.com/Topics/) I get the message: "Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed."

Cheers,

David Greening
Go to Top of Page

cyclingdude

68 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2002 :  19:16:45  Show Profile
I got the folder set to be viewable (directory contents) from web, althought my Host told me this was not advisable as it could pose a security concern. I'll just make sure to put files I want out there into this folder - no problem. However, I do still have the problem of the MOD dumping ALL my "Allowed Member List(Hidden)" Forum topics out to the folder. Obviously this isn't a good thing. Looking forward to any ideas...

Some details:

Running 3.4.03 will all bug/fix updates added.
Database: Microsoft Access 2000
Mods: Photo Album, IPGate, Forum News, Spell Check, Topic Maker

Thanks guys.

P.S. I'm not an .ASP programmer, but I didn't see anything in the code of this MOD that indicates it differentiates between Hidden and Public forums. I see where it determines whether or not it's the Admin who runs the routine.. but then it just seems to pull all the topics out of the DB.

Edited by - cyclingdude on 28 September 2002 19:39:34
Go to Top of Page

James
Average Member

USA
539 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2002 :  11:58:13  Show Profile  Visit James's Homepage
quote:

Yes it's clear to me that the static pages are indexable. But from what I understand, search engines are able to add pages to their database only by jumping from link to link and indexing each new page as it is found. But if the static pages aren't linked by anything, how can the search engine find it?

Jay, you can submit the directory that the files are in to the search engines, or you can link that directory from the homepage with a single underscore such as _ that is placed in an unused part of your homepage. Additionally, I adapted a program to use with a previous version of this mod (for 3.3 forums) that would make a index page for the topics directory and link to each topic. This way I only had to link to that index from my homepage to give the bots a path to follow to each link. This is helpful if your site doesn't allow directory browsing. I'm not sure if it'll work with the current version but you can get it http://www.rcwebboard.com/ftp/adaptedfloyd.txt and the original file is at http://www.rcwebboard.com/ftp/floyd.zip. Note it's pretty sloppy and that you'll have to change a few things in the adaptedfloyd file (inc_top is now inc_header, etc.) and put in the path from your website. Plus, I think that the new version now stores topics in domain.com/topics instead of domain.com/forum/topics and this means you'll have to edit for that. The original floyd.asp file will output a directory tree of your site and display it for you.

*Interested in Radio Control*
*The RC Web Board - http://www.rcwebboard.com/*

Edited by - James on 24 August 2003 02:11:05
Go to Top of Page

cyclingdude

68 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2002 :  13:28:22  Show Profile
What would be the proper ASP code to determine the following:

If the Category ID = 1 then go ahead and output the topic
Else don't output the topics.

The reason I ask is because in this MOD, it outputs ALL my topics, even the ones in my private forum. Now, I noticed that my private forum is Cat_ID 2 - and all the public stuff is CAT_ID 1 - so could someone here with ASP knowledge show me how to Mod this MOD to make it only output my Cat_ID 1 topics?

Or any other way to make it differentiate between public and private topics - before it writes the files.

(I have the concept - but no knowhow to do this)

Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

cyclingdude

68 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2002 :  21:42:14  Show Profile
I tried referring to some ASP programming resources, but no luck. I just don't have enough Snitz/ASP experience to try my hand at programming - or Moding this MOD quite yet.

I just need a routine that basically says:

Hey, if this particular topic is a hidden one, then don't do the next step. If it's a members only topic - or open to all visitors - then it's OK to do the next step.

That's my common english goal of what I need this TOPIC MAKER Mod to do :)

Edited by - cyclingdude on 30 September 2002 22:56:06
Go to Top of Page

eggyfarts

New Zealand
200 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2002 :  22:28:02  Show Profile
Why are some of the lines commented out? This is not working for me.

Cheers,
WeeVaa.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07