New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 24 August 2002 :  23:13:37  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
Spell Checker for Snitz 3.4 - 3.4.02 by @tomic 8/24/02
Original MOD by Huwr and Da_Stimulator

http://www.skepticfriends.org/download/privatemessages3_4_02.zip

Demo available at: http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum2/

User Name: demo
Password: demo

This is how it looks in action:

How to install the Spell Checker

Upload the following files to your forum directory"

pop_spellcheck.asp
icon_editor_spell.gif

Upload the following to the directory you keep your dabases in.
No writing uccurs so read rights should be enough.
Before going for help do make sure that the database permissions are set to read. This database was saved in OfficeXP so if you have any difficulties opening it this could be the cause.

dictionary2000.mdb

The following files will need to be edited:
inc_post_buttons.asp
inc_header_short.asp
inc_header.asp

On a difficulty scale of 1 - 10 where 10 is most difficult I give this a 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------

inc_post_buttons.asp
Look for this at line 68:

Response.Write " <a href=""Javascript:showcode();"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconEditorCode,"Insert Code","align=""top""") & "</a>" & _
"<a href=""Javascript:quote();"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconEditorQuote,"Insert Quote","align=""top""") & "</a>" & _
"<a href=""Javascript:list();"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconEditorList,"Insert List","align=""top""") & "</a>" & vbNewLine

Replace it with:

Response.Write " <a href=""Javascript:showcode();"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconEditorCode,"Insert Code","align=""top""") & "</a>" & _
"<a href=""Javascript:quote();"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconEditorQuote,"Insert Quote","align=""top""") & "</a>" & _
"<a href=""Javascript:list();"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconEditorList,"Insert List","align=""top""") & "</a>" & vbNewLine & _
" <a href=""JavaScript:OpenSpellCheck('pop_spellcheck.asp')"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconEditorSpell,"Spell Checker","align=""top""") & "</a>" & vbNewLine

inc_header

Look for this on line 277:

"function openWindowHelp(url) {" & vbNewLine & _
" popupWin = window.open(url,'new_page','width=470,height=200,scrollbars=yes')" & vbNewLine & _
"}" & vbNewLine &

Immediately under it add:

"function OpenSpellCheck()" & vbNewLine & _
"{" & vbNewLine & _
"var curCookie = ""strMessagePreview="" + escape(document.PostTopic.Message.value);" & vbNewLine & _
"document.cookie = curCookie;" & vbNewLine & _
"popupWin = window.open('pop_spellcheck.asp', 'preview_page', 'scrollbars=yes,width=650,height=400')" & vbNewLine & _
"}" & vbNewLine & _

inc_header_short.asp

Look for line 79:

".spnMessageText a:active {color:" & strForumActiveLinkColor & ";text-decoration:" & strForumActiveTextDecoration & "}" & vbNewLine & _

Immediately under it add:

".spnSearchHighlight {background-color:" & strSearchHiLiteColor & "}" & vbNewLine & _

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Download it here:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/download/spellcheck2002.zip

Please direct questions to the Snitz forum but if you feel a need to or just want to
say "hi" you may email me at atomic@skepticfriends.org

@tomic

SportsBettingAcumen.com

Edited by - @tomic on 11 September 2002 11:57:16

NOTONEOFUS
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2002 :  00:55:13  Show Profile
You've forgotten to add this to the inc_iconfiles.asp file:

Around line 61:

Const strIconEditorStrike = "icon_editor_strike.gif|23|22"

Underneath that:

Const strIconEditorSpell = "icon_editor_spell.gif|23|22"

Edited by - NOTONEOFUS on 25 August 2002 01:08:26
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2002 :  01:05:13  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
It has it's own connection in pop_spellcheck.asp

@tomic

SportsBettingAcumen.com
Go to Top of Page

NOTONEOFUS
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2002 :  01:12:05  Show Profile
You've also forgotten to tell us that you should change the database path in the pop_spellcheck.asp to where our database is located.
Go to Top of Page

festerhead
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2002 :  04:50:03  Show Profile  Visit festerhead's Homepage
Super mod!

FesterHead Radio - Rush, King Crimson, and more !!!
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2002 :  05:35:09  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
This has been updated for the database path in pop_spellcheck.asp and for the reference to the image in inc_iconfiles.asp

@tomic

SportsBettingAcumen.com
Go to Top of Page

Azaniah

United Kingdom
1004 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2002 :  10:02:30  Show Profile  Visit Azaniah's Homepage
Atomic does this do suggestions? I've been slowly workin on some code that might be able to suggest alternate spellings

Eagles fly!, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2002 :  10:22:22  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
no it doesn't.

but thanks for the update @tomic, saved me doing it
Go to Top of Page

Azaniah

United Kingdom
1004 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2002 :  10:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Azaniah's Homepage
okies I'll still keep bashing away on the suggestive code.. dont' hold your breath though...

Eagles fly!, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2002 :  14:06:08  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
quote:
okies I'll still keep bashing away on the suggestive code.. dont' hold your breath though...

Suggestive code? How risque will it get? But seriously...no I haven't done anything in this direction but would love to see it!

@tomic

SportsBettingAcumen.com

Edited by - @tomic on 25 August 2002 14:06:39
Go to Top of Page

Darthsteven
Starting Member

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2002 :  14:41:23  Show Profile  Visit Darthsteven's Homepage
Spell checking words is very quick, but if you start suggesting words the execution time will rocket.
A. Any suggestion code will have to be very neat
B. I expect you'll need to stop spell checking halfway through, show whats been checked and offer up some suggestions in addition to 'Ignore' 'Replace' buttons.

I say this from my own experience, mine can check a word from a list of 105,000 words in less than one second (binary search + JS array), but suggesting can take from four seconds to ten (six average) on a Althlon XP 1700

Regards
Darthsteven

Edited by - Darthsteven on 26 August 2002 14:42:41
Go to Top of Page

alex042
Average Member

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 05 September 2002 :  00:36:40  Show Profile  Send alex042 an AOL message  Send alex042 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
pop_spellcheck.asp
icon_editor_spell.gif

How about adding an admin page to add custom words to the dictionary? You might add another field in the table so these custom additions can be used with or excluded from the main dictionary. This could actually be used to create custom libraries for specific applications. This should be a fairly easy addition, but if you REALLY wanted to go all out, you could add definitions and a thesaurus along with suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

bobbart

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 05 September 2002 :  01:38:30  Show Profile  Send bobbart an ICQ Message
will this work with mysql?
Go to Top of Page

goldfish

82 Posts

Posted - 05 September 2002 :  05:17:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bobbart

will this work with mysql?

I was just going to ask the same about SQL server... colour me dumb, but I don't get involved in the sharp end of databases, so it tends to go over my head... :)

Simon
Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell
Access 2000 Support Moderator

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2002 :  13:05:52  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
If this is the same spellchecker I remember, it uses an access database which contains all the correctly spelled words. It could probably be ported to SQL Server or MySQL but doesn't go right out of the box. It's not something that is used very often (only when posting/replying IF chosen to be used), so leaving it as access should not be a big deal.

Dave Maxwell
Barbershop Harmony Freak
Go to Top of Page

bobbart

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2002 :  21:23:58  Show Profile  Send bobbart an ICQ Message
My host only supports mysql so I will have to change this. How hard will it be to get it to use the same connection string as the forum and just add a new table to hold the words?

Could someone help me do this or is it going to be a pain?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07