New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  18:50:58  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
could people please stop cluttering the forums with questions regarding the status of mods for 3.4.

There is already a topic posted to track them, read it.

Most Mod writers are NOT releasing their MODS until we have a stable 3.4 release, so don't waste everyones time by asking repeatedly

Jim Riley

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  02:07:25  Show Profile  Visit Jim Riley's Homepage
Agreed. The first two weeks or so after a new release put an incredible pressure on the Dev team and Moderators as they support us through the new features and teething problems.

It would be nice to see more topic views rather than topics at this stage - if only to prove that we are all carefully searching recent posts to find answers to questions already asked.
Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  03:35:43  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
I thought if you can't read you can't write.... Hmmmmm wonder how all these people are writing asking about MODS for 3.4....

Test Site:
EastPasco Huw's Code 3.3.10 SQL 2000
Huwr's Modified Code
Email
Go to Top of Page

joatham

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  04:31:26  Show Profile  Visit joatham's Homepage
This topic should tell you all you need to know about the status of MODS and version 3.4, and as Huw points out, most will not be released/supported until 3.4.01 is released, and then you should be patient; some of the more complex MODS will require a lot of familiarisation with the new code before they are ready for release.

If you run a heavily modded previous version of Snitz, and require all the mods, I suggest that you wait a while before upgrading until the mods you require are announced as ready. As Jim points out, the Dev team and Moderators have a lot of work supporting new features, and many MOD developers will also be devoting time to support in addition to re-writing their code to fit in with the new version; the last thing they want is to be bombarded with "when will your mod be ready" questions.

John
Go to Top of Page

seven

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  11:37:32  Show Profile  Visit seven's Homepage
What if someone posted a topic listing all the "popular" mods in them and their status with a link to the download page. (for the future). You can make it a sticky and edit it when he status changes.
Just lock the topic from replies...

quote:
Originally posted by joatham

This topic should tell you all you need to know about the status of MODS and version 3.4, and as Huw points out, most will not be released/supported until 3.4.01 is released, and then you should be patient; some of the more complex MODS will require a lot of familiarisation with the new code before they are ready for release.

If you run a heavily modded previous version of Snitz, and require all the mods, I suggest that you wait a while before upgrading until the mods you require are announced as ready. As Jim points out, the Dev team and Moderators have a lot of work supporting new features, and many MOD developers will also be devoting time to support in addition to re-writing their code to fit in with the new version; the last thing they want is to be bombarded with "when will your mod be ready" questions.

John

Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  12:21:24  Show Profile
99% of the MODs, especially the popular ones, get uploaded to the Snitz Exchange. No need to create seperate links to all of them. A simple update saying something like "for download" should be enough if there's a link to the Snitz Exchange present too.

Then again, knowing how many people fail to understand the idea of a search, it would probably be safer to link directly to the MOD's ZIP file
Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  13:29:30  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage
quote:

John

Couldn't agree more ... and, that's exactly the path I have taken. I have a heavily modified forum & have no plans to upgrade it until I can do so with at least most of the mods I have installed there. Instead, I set up a new forum - something I was going to do anyway - with a clean version 3.3.05, just so I could upgrade it to version 3.4 - a trial run, so to speak. I will add mods to that new forum, after the release is stable.

I really am surprised at what I'm seeing here. Gimme, gimme, gimme ... faster, faster, faster. My word ... be patient already! There are developers here working furiously to GIVE us a free product ... anybody ever sit back & think about that?? I shouldn't really be surprised; I've experienced the same via my own site. The more you give, the more folks want ... sad, but true.

Just rememember, Richard, HuwR, and everyone else who work to perfect the software & maintain this site ... there are MANY who appreciate what you all do ... take your time.

Rich
[size=1]A Complete Idiot's Guide to MOD Implementation || On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

joatham

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  14:27:19  Show Profile  Visit joatham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by FrutZle

99% of the MODs, especially the popular ones, get uploaded to the Snitz Exchange.

I know that the Snitz Exchange is still up, but didn't Nathan stop supporting it after he was hacked earlier in the year? Perhaps it would be worth someone offering to take ownership of the Snitz Exchange project if Nathan wants a rest from it?

<edit>Aha, I think that this answers that question. Look forward to seeing it FrutZle! </edit>

Edited by - joatham on 22 August 2002 18:32:20
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  19:06:35  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
How about...if a new topic title has the word "when" and "3.4" in it the topic is rejected.

@tomic

SportsBettingAcumen.com
Go to Top of Page

joatham

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  19:55:43  Show Profile  Visit joatham's Homepage
now there's an idea.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07