DEV Discussions (General)
 Description of ALL database fields
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bax

141 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2002 :  00:52:07  Show Profile
Is there anywhere a list that describes all of the database fields? Obviously, most of them are self-explanatory. However, as a new user to Snitz, it took me 45 minutes yesterday to figure out the difference between M_NAME and M_USERNAME. It would be nice if the "Description" properties within the db were actually filled in with meaningful information.

Now, I know that would be time-consuming, but I think it would be very helpful, so that one can understand the DB without having to actually go to the forum interface itself. Has anyone done this? For instance, just looking at the FORUM_MEMBERS table, it's hard for me to know what M_STATUS and M_LEVEL are. I assume they have to do whether the user is using the site, and their permissions level (admin, moderator, etc), respectively. However, I now have to go into the actual site code to determine this. If the descriptions fields existed, it would be jim-dandy.

Sincerely,

Bryan Ax

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2002 :  01:14:25  Show Profile
if you get v3.3.05, the access DB does have the descriptions on most of the fields.

for v3.4, I used a script (almost exactly like the script used for MS SQL Server) to create a new database so they don't have descriptions in there.
Go to Top of Page

bax

141 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2002 :  01:17:17  Show Profile
Gotcha. I'll go back and look at the old version, tho I suspect (as you saw in my other post) that many of the fields I'm unclear on are new additions to 3.4.

Thanks, Richard, for this wonderful product. I know lots of us ask, "Where's this, what's this?" However, the functionality in this product is amazing. I just need to tweak it a bit to integrate with an existing site. However, I really am very appreciative of the product, and am going to recommend to the purseholders at the company to make a contribution to your efforts.

Sincerely,

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2002 :  05:29:58  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
I also believe a MOD writer's guide, or similar document, is being written by Davio (currently on vacation) where the fields will be described.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2002 :  05:32:57  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
that is correct, he and frutz are working on it.

Nathan Bales
CoreBoard | Active Users Download
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2002 :  07:26:46  Show Profile
This is like waiting for the v.3.4 release - a real MOD guide and I can get started on some idea's
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07