Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pweighill

United Kingdom
453 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  09:27:49  Show Profile
Just kidding, but seriously, if you are going to use v3.4 and apply lots to mods to it, might it be better to wait for first fix release?

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  09:30:05  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I guess sinceyou have posted so many bug reports, that it was entirely a waste of time going live for a week.

why did you not report these before ?
Go to Top of Page

pweighill

United Kingdom
453 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  09:30:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

I guess sinceyou have posted so many bug reports, that it was entirely a waste of time going live for a week.

why did you not report these before ?

I didn't have access to the source code before!
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  09:37:41  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
you don't need access to the source code to find the bugs you reported
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  09:38:44  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
pweighill,

Why don't cool it down just a little bit man? This is something people do on their free time, with the best of their will, and sincerely I don't think that all this pressure can do any good to anyone.

I'm sure that noone feels the need to remove these tiny pesky bugs more than the Dev Team. Now please give them some room to do it, will ya?

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

Aaron S.
Average Member

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  09:39:47  Show Profile  Visit Aaron S.'s Homepage
quote:

Considering the number of serious security bugs that were fixed, I'm shocked you would say this.

I am thankful to any of the Snitz volunteers that track down bugs... no matter when they find them. Anything to make the code more bulletproof is a positive in my mind.

--Aaron

DOWNLOAD GREAT NEW MODS HERE
Go to Top of Page

Aaron S.
Average Member

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  09:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Aaron S.'s Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ruirib

This is something people do on their free time, with the best of their will, and sincerely I don't think that all this pressure can do any good to anyone.

Exactly, Rui! So why does that give Huw the right to ask pweighill why he didn't report those bug sooner.

He asked a legit question, and according to Richard, there is a legit answer to his question (I'm just not sure if I can post that answer yet).

--Aaron

Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  09:56:09  Show Profile
Will you all please calm down a bit

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  09:56:21  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Aaron, let's not make an argument out of this. If you guys take a moment just to think how all this "bug rush" can be seen by these guys who worked on this for such a long time, with a highly remarkable result, in spite of these small issues, maybe you can understand that some frustration cannot be avoided.

I believe Huw's reaction is just an expression of that frustration. Hey, when you give so much of yourself, that must be understood, IMO.

We all need a bit of restraint here people. Things will be worked out, as soon as it is possible.

Go to Top of Page

pweighill

United Kingdom
453 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  10:02:00  Show Profile
quote:

you don't need access to the source code to find the bugs you reported

It helps to have the code, a database to look at the results and also be able to run it on your own machine to find the sort of bugs I'm posting about now.

I posted about quite a few minor/cosmetic bugs whilst the code was been tested on forum.snitz.com.

I'm now looking at the SQL code now that I have access to the ASP code and I'm finding a few more bugs that will need fixing. I'm also supplying the fix for most of these as well.

Most users won't be see anything out about these bugs in the bugs forum since I'm emailing Richard Kinser directly (due to the nature of these bugs) and just posting some comments on them to the bugs forum. These posts are still hidden at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron S.
Average Member

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  10:05:05  Show Profile  Visit Aaron S.'s Homepage
I am definitely not arguing with anybody. Everyone has done an excellent job with this release.

When the developers ran the code on their sites, they found some bugs... when it was released for us to use on this site, we found more... when everyone can install it, we found even more.

That is to be expected in any software release.

I am excited that we are squashing the bugs now, instead of finding them months down the road.

I am excited that Snitz is becoming more bullet-proof than ever.

No developer (working on any project) should take the existance of bugs personally... it is going to happen - no one writes perfect code.

Most developers don't have a QA organization consistenting of hundreds of users... this gives Snitz a great advantage in the market.

All I am saying is... if someone reports a bug, thank them. We sure are thankful of the Snitz team for delivering such a high quality product.

--Aaron

Go to Top of Page

pweighill

United Kingdom
453 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  10:08:35  Show Profile
quote:

If you guys take a moment just to think how all this "bug rush" can be seen by these guys who worked on this for such a long time, with a highly remarkable result, in spite of these small issues, maybe you can understand that some frustration cannot be avoided.

I wasn't trying to be rude or pushy with the original post.

Yes v3.4 is a lot better than v3.3.

I just think that it would be wise to release another version in about a week or so with all the bugs that have been found after the inital release.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  10:12:09  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Aaron, agreed on most counts . Anyway even when a bug is reported, patience is needed until we can have a new release, which Richard has already said he'll do today or tomorrow.

Given the fact that that was already posted by Richard, repeatedly asking about the time for the new release can only add to the existing pressure and, as I posted, that can do no good to anyone.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron S.
Average Member

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  10:18:42  Show Profile  Visit Aaron S.'s Homepage
quote:
Given the fact that that was already posted by Richard, repeatedly asking about the time for the new release can only add to the existing pressure and, as I posted, that can do no good to anyone.

Great! Richard and I discussed this over email, but I did not know he had made a general announcement yet.

--Aaron

Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  10:29:45  Show Profile
Aaron, we talked about that on hidden forums a couple of hours ago.

A good working (not rapidly changing) v3.4 will also speed up the v4 project, but just be patient .

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page

pweighill

United Kingdom
453 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  10:46:37  Show Profile
The main point to my original post was that if you re going to add lots of mods to a 3.4 forum, you should consider waiting a week rather than rush straight in otherwise you might have to do it all again.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07