Archived topics idea for a SQL database
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

seven

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 16 July 2002 :  08:23:31  Show Profile  Visit seven's Homepage
I had an idea related to using a MS SQL DB for your forum and archiving topics.
Most hosts I have seen limit your SQL DB size to a certain small size. Currently, the forum archives topics to another table in the same database.
What if we could have the option to archive topics to a seperate access database on the server?
Of course, you would need the ability to turn this option on or off, because not everyone might have the ability to support both.

Just a thought... let me know what ya'll experts think.

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 16 July 2002 :  11:04:02  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
technically, your archives would generally be larger than your normal data, so it would make more sense to do it the other way round

It would not work, since only 2 of the tables are duplicated for archiving, to do it in a seperate db would require most of your tables to be duplicated across the db's something which wouldbe difficult to maintain

Go to Top of Page

seven

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 16 July 2002 :  13:24:11  Show Profile  Visit seven's Homepage
I do understand the archives would be larger, but they would be in the access db, which would only be taking up disk space not SQL database space that is restricted on size.

I see your point though on the duplicate tables.

quote:

technically, your archives would generally be larger than your normal data, so it would make more sense to do it the other way round

It would not work, since only 2 of the tables are duplicated for archiving, to do it in a seperate db would require most of your tables to be duplicated across the db's something which wouldbe difficult to maintain

Go to Top of Page

MotoX

201 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2002 :  08:13:01  Show Profile
I use a SQL Database on my forum. My hosting provider allows me to use Enterprise Manager to manage my DB. This is how I handle my archiving.

I create a blank access db on my local system
Then I use "Export Data" (DTS) to Export the FORUM_A_TOPICS and FORUM_A_REPLY tables.
Then I issue the follwoing statement to delete everything from the SQLtables above

use forumname
delete from forum_a_topics
go
delete from forum_a_reply
go

after that I run the Archive forums utility in Snitz to put the "new"-old topics in the archive area.

I know it sounds convoluted, but it works well and doesn't take that long. I only need to do it every few months. In the end I end up with a smaller online DB and an archive of topics and replies in access db's that I can keep and burn to CD should I ever want or need to bring them back.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07