Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2002 :  02:20:16  Show Profile
goto the admin_login.asp page and login there. Then go back to the default.asp page.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeton
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2002 :  03:12:23  Show Profile
That worked! Thanks. So it seems as if they were able to get in as admin, change the password, change the site status to 'down', modify the down.asp to show their message (Hacked by...). How do I prevent this in the future?

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2002 :  04:19:07  Show Profile
Have you applied the fixes listed in this forum:

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=118
Go to Top of Page

James
Average Member

USA
539 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2002 :  21:30:31  Show Profile  Visit James's Homepage
quote:

The default global.asa file that is put in the root web
<snip>

Thanks Richad. BTW, could you update the IPs as needed in this post or another one?

-
*Interested in Radio Control*
*The RC Web Board - http://www.rcwebboard.com/*
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2002 :  21:52:04  Show Profile
Those are just the IPs that have attempted to hack this site. That's the only ones that I have put in there. My suggestion would be to install the MOD that foo wrote so you will be e-mailed the IP Address when someone tries to hack your forum, and then just update the IP Address list in the global.asa file as you get them. Most of these IP Address are dynamic, so the person doing the hacking won't have the same IP Address everytime.
Go to Top of Page

MDGamezz

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2002 :  22:55:21  Show Profile  Send MDGamezz an AOL message  Send MDGamezz an ICQ Message
Richard ,
Is it possible to ban a block of IP's using global.asa ?
Example being 195.175.???.??? .

I currently use the ban ip mod.
It's very limited on space though.
Thank you.

MDGamezz
Go to Top of Page

alex042
Average Member

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2002 :  08:51:46  Show Profile  Send alex042 an AOL message  Send alex042 a Yahoo! Message
Banning IP's is not the answer. This will end up being a time consuming and fruitless venture and will end up punishing legitimate people who just happen to pull the same DHCP number of a banned IP while the hacker pulls a new number and rehacks the site again.

The best disaster recovery program will prepare for the inevitible to happen. Keep regular backup copies of the entire site just in case something happens. I found this out the hard way when my ISP's server crashed and they didn't have an adequate disaster recovery program initiated. I ended up losing my entire website.. almost 500mb, 100's of files because their backup wasn't recoverable. Fortunately, I had most of the files on my hard drive, but it's taking me several weeks to rebuild it back to what it was before the server crash. Now, I keep a backup copy locally.

In the meantime, the best we can do is learn how the hackers got in and close each hole as they find them.

Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2002 :  18:40:15  Show Profile
I got one as well from this mod..

213.45.51.201 - 6/15/2002 11:36:08 PM

The owner if the IP is Telecom Italia Net. Just a regular joe trying to be funny me thinks.. Maybe not after I reported him/her.

I would still love to know what the code is to try it on my site. *hint, hint*

quote:

hehe....I´ve got one from the hackpatrol:

62.xx.128.xxx - 5/10/2002 2:11:23 AM

Morten (x´s by me)

Edited by - morten on 09 May 2002 21:18:09

Cheers,

Clasicmotorcycling
Go to Top of Page

Dan Martin
Average Member

USA
528 Posts

Posted - 18 June 2002 :  01:49:30  Show Profile  Visit Dan Martin's Homepage  Send Dan Martin an AOL message  Send Dan Martin an ICQ Message  Send Dan Martin a Yahoo! Message
I've been running this for about a month, and suprisingly only had two hits. Either way, great idea on the mod. Even though I've not found any good use for the IPs, I'm sure it gave the wannabee hackers a scare.

Go to Top of Page

raw
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 18 June 2002 :  10:45:31  Show Profile
I have my own anti hacking measure but it's not on the fly.

In inc_top.asp I added this

<!--#INCLUDE FILE="inc_redirect.asp" -->

Then created a page caled inc_redirect.asp and it contains this

<%
if request.ServerVariables("remote_addr")= "24.57.33.27" or request.ServerVariables("remote_addr")= "192.127.94.7" or request.ServerVariables("remote_addr")= "64.218.161.249" then
response.redirect("http://www.fbi.gov")
window.open("http:/www.fbi.gov")
end if
if request.ServerVariables("remote_addr")= "203.108.88.169" or request.ServerVariables("remote_addr")= "216.0.189.130" or request.ServerVariables("remote_addr")= "144.132.100.189" then
response.write "<script>alert ('owned')</script>"
end if
%>

I will admit it's childish but I scared off a hacker trying to post a URL (which is in my bad words list now) that stole cookie information. Myself and the other admin were on the site at the time and changed our passwords immediately.

This hacker used an img src=blah onerror=window.open('url') so if you opened a thread he snagged your password. We ended up playing him for a fool and net sending some messages to his machine.

Anyway this is what my bad words list consists of now.

:glow|<TH>|<script|<object|onload|144.132.100.189|onerror

Go to Top of Page

E*DAVE
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 18 June 2002 :  10:49:36  Show Profile  Send E*DAVE an ICQ Message
Yeah, that guy was easy

Go to Top of Page

raw
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 18 June 2002 :  10:50:40  Show Profile
Speak of the devil. Here's my other admin.

Edited by - raw on 18 June 2002 10:51:06
Go to Top of Page

Dan Martin
Average Member

USA
528 Posts

Posted - 22 June 2002 :  16:43:38  Show Profile  Visit Dan Martin's Homepage  Send Dan Martin an AOL message  Send Dan Martin an ICQ Message  Send Dan Martin a Yahoo! Message
I like your use of the bad word filter. Can I ask, why <TH>? And what is :glow?

-Dan

Go to Top of Page

fillup07
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2002 :  14:40:55  Show Profile
I just found this site and I think I'm gonna switch my site from Yabb (www.yabbforum.com) to Snitz because it is ASP based.

I was curious about something... (my YABB forum got hacked as well), how exactly do they find/get in and change the admin password? And what does this patch do to fix it?

Go to Top of Page

blackinwhite
Average Member

Turkey
657 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2002 :  15:19:24  Show Profile
quote:

I just found this site and I think I'm gonna switch my site from Yabb (www.yabbforum.com) to Snitz because it is ASP based.

I was curious about something... (my YABB forum got hacked as well), how exactly do they find/get in and change the admin password? And what does this patch do to fix it?

The general security hole that was recently came to surface was a "sql injection" kinda thing.

this is a common method that most of the SQL-using codes exposed. You can search in google about the issue.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07