MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 Changing the character length of Signatures
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GenerationEdge

105 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2002 :  18:28:49  Show Profile
Did a "quick" search but came up with nothing. Know how to increase the length on the Signatures from 255 characters to say "500"? I use the signature preview if you need to know this info also.

Jason

Edited by - GenerationEdge on 03 May 2002 06:10:22

blackinwhite
Average Member

Turkey
657 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  09:58:00  Show Profile
you need to change the field type in your database.

Go to Top of Page

GenerationEdge

105 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  13:14:42  Show Profile
quote:

you need to change the field type in your database.

Can you give me some ideas on how to do that?

Jason

Go to Top of Page

vesse

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  16:21:06  Show Profile  Visit vesse's Homepage  Send vesse an AOL message  Send vesse an ICQ Message
Putt the following into a new text file and save as dbs_siglenth.asp or something beginning with dbs_:

Increase Signature Length
[ALTER]
MEMBERS
ALTER#M_SIG#memo#NULL#
[END]

Then upload the file to your forum directory, go to MOD Setup and select that file and run it. It should change the field type of signatures and give you room for much longer signatures.

Note: I personally have had some problems in the past with getting the ALTER command to work but hopefully the code above should successfully modify your databse.

Building Web Systems for a new Generation @ http://www.vdesign-studios.com
webmaster@vdesign-studios.com
rvesse@hotmail.com
rvesse@dhtmlshock.com
Go to Top of Page

GenerationEdge

105 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  16:31:07  Show Profile
I'll give it a shot veese

I opened a copy of my database just to see if I could change the characters to more than 255. I went into the FORUM_MEMBERS Table. The data type "text" is set for only 0-255 characters and the "memo" is set for 0-65,535 characters. Will I screw the database up if I change it from the "text" to the "memo" and run it? Maybe I should just go your route and leave the database alone.

Jason

Go to Top of Page

blackinwhite
Average Member

Turkey
657 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  16:40:09  Show Profile
hýmm, I am late :(

when you cahnge it to "memo", the max character for the type doesn't need to be entered.

Go to Top of Page

GenerationEdge

105 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  16:46:47  Show Profile
quote:

hýmm, I am late :(

when you cahnge it to "memo", the max character for the type doesn't need to be entered.

I noticed that there is no field type to enter the character amount when switching it to "memo" but I just want to make sure if I change it to "memo" when the default is "text" that the database will NOT malfunction. Of course if it does it will use the backup I made.

Jason

Go to Top of Page

Tmpj

Denmark
467 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  17:00:29  Show Profile
Try this:

Increase Signature Length
[ALTER]
MEMBERS
ALTER#M_SIG#longtext#NULL#
[END]

This should make the field to a Longtext field witch not have a limit for data input!

------------------------------
Magic is an Orange
http://www.nintendo4you.dk/tmpj/
Go to Top of Page

GenerationEdge

105 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  23:06:07  Show Profile
veese & Tmpj

Neither one of the codes to place in a text file as dbs_blah worked. Still getting the maximum 255 character error when trying to submit a signature. I was going to alter the database direct but don't have Microsoft Access on my computer at home so do you have any other ideas?

Jason

Edited by - GenerationEdge on 04 May 2002 00:22:01
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2002 :  00:48:39  Show Profile
you have to also edit pop_profile.asp and register.asp and take out the check for the length of the signature (or change it to a different #). You should be able to find them by doing a search for 255 after opening each file.
Go to Top of Page

GenerationEdge

105 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2002 :  08:29:23  Show Profile
quote:

you have to also edit pop_profile.asp and register.asp and take out the check for the length of the signature (or change it to a different #). You should be able to find them by doing a search for 255 after opening each file.

You da man Richard!

With using dbs_siglength.asp and editing the pop_profile and register.asp I have got it to work. Way to go guys!

Since you jumped on this post Richard, I got a question about your Advatar MOD. Just the Advatar v2.0 MOD not the upload MOD. I have modified the code so I can get 100X100 size images to work. My question is, can you make it to where I can select the size of the image for each individual member? I get so many different image sizes ranging up to 100X100 and when someone gives me a image say 80X60, of course it stretches it out to 100X100. Do you have a fix for the distortion of images in the advatars?

Jason

Edited by - GenerationEdge on 04 May 2002 18:53:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07