One user, multiple alias?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maddwizzard
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2002 :  16:37:01  Show Profile

Hello. I checked through the board, but I couldn't find anything for this situation.

I am putting up two boards that share a database. One board is for general issues and out of game posting. The other board has to deal with characters and such (the site is for a roleplaying game). I want the players to be able to register, and then add their pseudonyms (there can be a more than one per person).

Is there a MOD that deals with this, or should I just try and code something myself (I'm not that good)?

James

snaayk

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 10 April 2002 :  12:28:26  Show Profile  Visit snaayk's Homepage  Send snaayk an AOL message  Send snaayk an ICQ Message  Send snaayk a Yahoo! Message
hmm....perhaps I shouldn't help, you might be some competition for me . I have actually already created a MOD that does this for my roleplaying site. I can give you the source code that I have, its for 3.3, but since 3.4 was coming out 2 months ago I stopped working on it because it may be unusable with the upgrade, so, in its current state it has a lot of things that need to be worked out.

If you like, when 3.4 comes out and I redo the MOD I will probably release it as an official MOD. This will be high on my priority list when 3.4 comes seeing as how important it is to a roleplaying enviorment (YOU know what I mean). However, it won't be for the faint of heart. The more I worked on it the more I realized how much more I needed to do. Almost every page will need some changes.

If you want to attack it yourself, let me know and I will give you a few suggestions on what I have found while trudging through the code.

Go to Top of Page

maddwizzard
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10 April 2002 :  15:35:22  Show Profile

I'm pretty sure I'm no competition. I run a LARP out in the Midwest, and I want people to be able to post as thier character. I've got an idea, but it'll take a bit of testing. Too bad I have to have it ready in a couple days... :P

James

Go to Top of Page

XavierSlater

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 10 April 2002 :  16:00:02  Show Profile  Visit XavierSlater's Homepage
I still want the Alias MOD Snaayk.

I can wait for 3.4 though...

I have just been "hired" to support a new RP association in the UK. And they want this one badly.

Regards,
Stuart

Go to Top of Page

snaayk

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 10 April 2002 :  16:13:29  Show Profile  Visit snaayk's Homepage  Send snaayk an AOL message  Send snaayk an ICQ Message  Send snaayk a Yahoo! Message
quote:

I still want the Alias MOD Snaayk.

I can wait for 3.4 though...

I have just been "hired" to support a new RP association in the UK. And they want this one badly.

Regards,
Stuart

I was wondering if you were still around.
No problem. Like I said this is high on my priority list, so when 3.4 comes I will soon after be working on it.

Go to Top of Page

mangran
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10 April 2002 :  17:56:47  Show Profile  Send mangran an ICQ Message
quote:

[font=Tahoma]
[size=2]
Hello. I checked through the board, but I couldn't find anything for this situation.

And all this time I thought I was wierd... ;)

I did this for my own site http://erpa.2y.net (or the link to the boards http://erpa.2y.net/boards ) and as far as I know I got it working. Now the kicker is this. I started out with that anonymous posting mod and took advantage of that (if you put something in the nickname field, it uses that), so all I did was basically turn off the anonymous posting features, but then added code to set that nickname field with the user's alias of choice. There is an "alias manager" in the profile editing section. The alias is chosen when posting from a dropdown. If the user creates no aliases, the user's username is used instead.

Of course, the usernumber is stored in the traditional way, so you can still track who posts what. However, as long as the user has at least one alias, his/her username does not appear anywhere (except in the moderator list for moderators, which only mods and admins see). I even removed the "members" command from the menu because I actually wanted to try to let people hide their usernames (since some people play good and bad characters and don't want people knowing their alternate characters).

We just started using these forums (we were able to transfer the database from our old ones which is why it's full) so there may be a bug or two lurking around, but so far no complaints.

Now like I said, I started out with downloading the Snitz 3.3.03 that actually had the poll mod, anonymous posting, random password and ip ban already done. I've made all my changes to that code, so if you're able, you might want to start with that to make it easier for us.

So get in contact with me ( paladin_tillek@hotmail.com ) and we'll see if we can make it work. (And maybe turn it into a bonafide mod so others can share).

Just in case you're interested, I also added the ability to have separate forum pictures based on a URL, and an "ALL" option to show all pages in a topic at once (provided there aren't more than 32767 replies).

(Also, I really don't come here often, I usually only do when I'm looking for something, so it's better to contact my e-mail than to reply here if you need help with something).

Go to Top of Page

snaayk

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 11 April 2002 :  13:26:50  Show Profile  Visit snaayk's Homepage  Send snaayk an AOL message  Send snaayk an ICQ Message  Send snaayk a Yahoo! Message
I never looked into the anonymous Mod, I might have, it may save me some coding or debugging.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.43 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07