Block anonymous email server addresses
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

iwps
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 21 March 2002 :  08:58:03  Show Profile
Ok people, this is my first MOD, so please be gentle. I tried my best.

I'm sick of trolls who sign up for 25 Yahoo and 50 Hotmail accounts flooding my boards with trash, so I wanted to block them. The result is this MOD. {If I had to rate it in difficulty, I'd give it 4 out of 10}

DONT COPY THESE FILES AND OVERWRITE YOURS. I'VE GOT OTHER MODS INSTALLED THAT YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE. THE ATTACHED READ ME GUIDES YOU A BIT. All of the code related to this MOD has the words "Anonymous Email Domains MOD" with it. There's also a database update that has to be run (very simple), one field added.

In "Email Server Configuration", you can add a string of email servers you want to prohibit your users from being allowed to post from. I used the vertical bar as the separator, so an entry would look like this:
Yahoo.com|hotmail.com|hushmail.com

It IS NOT case sensative, and neither does it care what the user puts in, it will still catch it.

Now, users are forced to use their REAL email address that is both tracable and enforcable (ISP's don't like spammers using their servers). It works for me.

http://iwps.com/block_anon_email.zip

I hadn't seen this done before, and this was my way of doing it. If it's a duplicate, I appologize. I'm just learning ASP so it was an interesting experiment.

Thanks for your time!

Oh, one thing I forgot. I've got this combined with "EMAIL RANDOM PASSWORD", which makes it a pretty secure board!

Edited by - iwps on 21 March 2002 09:02:41

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 21 March 2002 :  09:20:38  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
looks like a very useful little mod. I have my mail server take care of this.

There is also a list somewhere on the net of known spam relay servers which it may be worth looking at too.

Go to Top of Page

iwps
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 21 March 2002 :  09:28:47  Show Profile
Thanks for the "heads up" on the spam relay server lists that are most definitely out there. I'll do a search for them and add them to my list.

You're lucky about your email server doing the work for you; I'm running this thing from my server at home (formerly an @HOME person), so I have little choice but to use their SMTP server; they've got port 25 blocked from the outside world.

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 21 March 2002 :  12:17:06  Show Profile
ORBZ just recently closed...

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article/0,,10_995251,00.html
Go to Top of Page

Toetag
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 21 March 2002 :  20:27:04  Show Profile
Though I despise such "black-lists", there's another.

ORDB

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 21 March 2002 :  22:18:19  Show Profile
Well I use both a Yahoo and a Hotmail e-mail account. I am neither anonymous nor a Spammer. Why are you calling Yahoo and Hotmail Anonymouse e-mail servers?

I use my Yahoo Address when signing up on forums, because, in most cases, my e-mail address ends up on a Spammer's list somewhere and I do not want Spam on the e-mail address I get from my ISP, or on the e-mail addresses associated with the Domains that I own. Just something to think about before you go and block all e-mail addresses from a certain domain.
Go to Top of Page

iwps
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 21 March 2002 :  22:57:02  Show Profile
I called both of them "anonymous" because that's essentially what they are. You can lie through your teeth about every single question they ask, and present yourself with a false identity. I call that "anonymous". But I'm not trying to offend you!

I'm using a Yahoo account too, but I'm providing forums for others who are getting viciously attacked, and I needed to provide them some form of relief.

The guests have a choice: Give their ISP assigned email address, or don't sign up. It's a free country, and it's their choice.

Moreover, I have the "block email address MOD" in place, and as you may know, "block" is the default setting. Therefore, the users shouldn't be that concerned about others finding their email address out.

Lastly, when I used to run an SMTP server, I was amazed at the hits I was logging; with servers running through every name in the dictionary (bob, steve, pete, bill, john, frank...) trying to punch through to at least one valid address. It was always successful (my name is Dave). In other words, the anonimity of the address assigned by your ISP is only good until someone hits the random sequence that doesn't force an autoresponder to comlain about "user unknown". Then, you're on their list.

This mod was only to help others, if interested. I wasn't trying to put people's choice of mail services down.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07