Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Caspoory
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 07 March 2002 :  12:01:00  Show Profile  Visit Caspoory's Homepage
Dear All

If you want your forum not to be accessible to the world, i.e. restrict the access to your forum, then you are in the right place.

With this mod, members can access the forum, and also if you like you can give a special guest account to people you would like them to access the forum but they are not members.

You can also enable specific IP Addresses to access the forums without authorisation. You can turn this feature ON/OFF from the admin options.

I have implemented it on our extranet to give the employees who work at home or in clients' site access. As well as enabling all office users to access the forum (using the IP Addresses).

However, with this module you don't have to worry about the membrs, as they will always have access.

Control Forum Access Mod for Snitz Forums 3.3

This has been tested on Snitz Forum 3.3 on SQL 7.0 & Access.
It has been tested on the db authorisation ONLY.

Please do not replace your files with the included files,
if you do so please back up your files first.

Description:
==========
This mod allow you to restrict access to the forum. Registered Membrs, however,
will always be able to access the forum regardless of the authorisation
level selected.

You can also disable this feature and everyone can access and see your forum,
just as if the mod is not installed.

On The Other Hand when the feature is ON, registered members as I said
will not be effected. However, other people will not be able to see/access
the forum. To them its a password protected forum UNLESS:

OPTION 1: They have the details (username & password) of the authorised guest
account. Which is an account you can use to allow non registered members to access
the forum. This account can be disabled by leaving the username and password BLANK.
You can configure this account from the Control Forum Access Config in the admin
options.

OPTION 2: You can specify certain IP Addresses to have access to the forum, and
users from these IPs will access the forum as guests (authorised). You can also
disable this by leaving it blank or add the IP Address: 000.000.000.000

I have developed this Mod for my company so that people from the Offices
will have access (identified by their IP Addresses and/or by them being members).
And also for employees who work from home or client sites, they can access the forum
either by using their membership details or the guest account details (which can be
changed regularly).

With this mod I can protect the forum from being accessible to the outside world,
even though it is accessible from any where if you are a member or have the guest
account details.

New Feature:
===========
OPTION 3: Similar to option 2, i.e. the forum has restricted access only to authorised members. But also added to that is the option to register and to become a member.

The policy & registration pages are accessible to the public, and if this option was selected, the user will have a link to the registration process.

Files Added:
==========
- admin_config_access_control.asp
- dbs_access_control.asp
- login.asp

Files Modified:
============
- admin_home.asp
- config.asp
- inc_functions.asp
- inc_top.asp
- inc_top_short.asp

Instructions:
==========
1. Upload the new Added files (3) into the forums directory.

2. Go to the Admin options and click on MOD Setup.
Select Control Forum Access Mod and click Update.

3. Edit the following files

IMPORTANT: DO NOT REPLACE YOUR FILES WITH THESE!!! ALL CHANGES ARE COMMENTED AND MARKED WITH
'########## Control Forum Access Mod

- admin_home.asp - One line added
- config.asp - One line added PLUS a block of 6 lines
- inc_functions.asp - One block of 41 lines
- inc_top.asp - One block ob 5 lines
- inc_top_short.asp - One block ob 5 lines

MOD Download for Snitz v3.3: http://www.ipsuk.com/swap/control_access_mod_v1_1.zip

MOD Download for Snitz v3.1 SR4: http://www.ipsuk.com/swap/control_access_mod_v1_1_for_v31sr4.zip
(PLEASE read the readme.txt in the zip file for the instructions of this version as they are different )

A.Mosa : IPS Studio :: iNCiA

Edited by - caspoory on 09 March 2002 14:09:02

Edited by - caspoory on 11 March 2002 10:22:05

BogieMan

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 07 March 2002 :  13:21:28  Show Profile  Visit BogieMan's Homepage
can folks register some way with this turned on? Or apply to be registered some how...

Go to Top of Page

Caspoory
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 07 March 2002 :  15:35:44  Show Profile  Visit Caspoory's Homepage
No, UNLESS they know the Authorised Guest Username and Password.

If they know that account details (Guest Account), then they can access the forum just like accessing any forum without being a member.

It is meant to serve the forum to be password protected (e.g. for internal use). But in a way, that you can either use your existing membership details or the guest details.

However, If they are accessing it from one of the Authorised IP Address (from the office), then they will be able to register because they will be considered as authorised guests.

Edited by - caspoory on 07 March 2002 15:36:50
Go to Top of Page

Caspoory
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 07 March 2002 :  19:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Caspoory's Homepage
quote:

can folks register some way with this turned on? Or apply to be registered some how...

BogieMan,

YES, Just added this functionality

I guess I won't need the feature myself, but could be useful if you want to force people to register before accessing the forum.

Edited by - caspoory on 09 March 2002 14:03:33
Go to Top of Page

BogieMan

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 09 March 2002 :  15:33:03  Show Profile  Visit BogieMan's Homepage
Thanks! Its easy to install too!

Go to Top of Page

keston
Starting Member

Netherlands
49 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  06:00:15  Show Profile
This is just what i needed, fantastic!!
Do you know if this available (or customizable) for 3.1.sr4??

Keston

Go to Top of Page

Caspoory
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  06:09:10  Show Profile  Visit Caspoory's Homepage
quote:

This is just what i needed, fantastic!!
Do you know if this available (or customizable) for 3.1.sr4??

Keston

Sorry, but this is only available version of the code and I don't know if it will work on 3.1 or not (as I don't have that version and never used it, i.e. I don't know about it). Please feel free to customise it though.

I would try and install it, as the installation (and uninstall) is easy and simple. If it doesn't work then let me(us) know, as I am sure someone could help.

If you like send me a copy of the snitz 3.1 and I will test for you. (Can I get a copy from the Snitz site, test it on?)

Go to Top of Page

keston
Starting Member

Netherlands
49 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  06:16:59  Show Profile
quote:

I would try and install it, as the installation (and uninstall) is easy and simple. If it doesn't work then let me(us) know, as I am sure someone could help.

I made the changes in 3 pages...but also there were 2 pages (top-pages) which had to be altered in a way that isn't possible in 3.1......those pages differ too much.

Tried to do the mod implementing but without the admin_mod_dbsetup.asp (used in 3.3) I found it really hard to setup.

Kezz

Go to Top of Page

Caspoory
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  07:45:51  Show Profile  Visit Caspoory's Homepage
quote:

quote:

I made the changes in 3 pages...but also there were 2 pages (top-pages) which had to be altered in a way that isn't possible in 3.1......those pages differ too much.

Tried to do the mod implementing but without the admin_mod_dbsetup.asp (used in 3.3) I found it really hard to setup.

Good News

I got it working on v3.1sr4. Just give me sometime, I will document it and uploaded shortly.

Go to Top of Page

keston
Starting Member

Netherlands
49 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  09:29:16  Show Profile
quote:

Good News

I got it working on v3.1sr4. Just give me sometime, I will document it and uploaded shortly.

Thats great news!! Whats your plan? Are you gonna post it somewhere or place an additional file in your download?

kezz

Go to Top of Page

Caspoory
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  10:26:58  Show Profile  Visit Caspoory's Homepage
quote:

Thats great news!! Whats your plan? Are you gonna post it somewhere or place an additional file in your download?

kezz

Guess what! Its there for download. Scroll back up to my original post I added a link to the new MOD (for Snitz v3.1 sr4).

Good luck, and it should be easy to install and stuff. Let me know how it goes.

Go to Top of Page

cklemmer
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 15 March 2002 :  15:51:46  Show Profile
Hey, this is great. Pretty much what I needed. Is there any way to turn off registration once a user is in the forum? I don't want one registed user to be able to register another.

Go to Top of Page

Caspoory
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 16 March 2002 :  05:40:05  Show Profile  Visit Caspoory's Homepage
quote:

Hey, this is great. Pretty much what I needed. Is there any way to turn off registration once a user is in the forum? I don't want one registed user to be able to register another.

Well, that has nothing to do with this MOD, right? The forum always has the register link at the top, however you can either take it out from inc_top.asp as long as you turned on the access level to option 3 where people can register before hand.

Or you can use this:

if (chkUser((strDBNTUserName), (Request.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User")("Pword"))) = 0 ) then
' Do Nothing
else
if strAutoLogon <> 1 then
Response.Write " |" & vbNewline & _
" <a href=""policy.asp""><acronym title=""Register to post to our
forum..."">Register</acronym></a>" & vbNewline
end if
end if

But in any case users can always logout and register unless you add a cookie to prevent them. And this is risky, because if I access the forum from your machine and then you liked it and want to register, you can not register becuase of the cookie

Edited by - caspoory on 16 March 2002 05:43:08
Go to Top of Page

cklemmer
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 18 March 2002 :  12:44:05  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

Well, that has nothing to do with this MOD, right? The forum always has the register link at the top, however you can either take it out from inc_top.asp as long as you turned on the access level to option 3 where people can register before hand.

Or you can use this:

if (chkUser((strDBNTUserName), (Request.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User")("Pword"))) = 0 ) then
' Do Nothing
else
if strAutoLogon <> 1 then
Response.Write " |" & vbNewline & _
" <a href=""policy.asp""><acronym title=""Register to post to our
forum..."">Register</acronym></a>" & vbNewline
end if
end if

But in any case users can always logout and register unless you add a cookie to prevent them. And this is risky, because if I access the forum from your machine and then you liked it and want to register, you can not register becuase of the cookie

Edited by - caspoory on 16 March 2002 05:43:08

OK, thanks for the help. Does this mod cause a problem with the smiley popup? I get the following error now on the several forums on two different servers I have moded:

HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
Internet Information Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Error Type:
Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A000D)
Type mismatch: 'authXcess'
/kdrtau/forum/inc_top_short.asp, line 60

Browser Type:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Q312461; .NET CLR 1.0.3705)

Page:
GET /kdrtau/forum/pop_icon_legend.asp

I seem to be able to fix this if I include this block of code in the top of pop_icon_legend.asp:

<!--#INCLUDE FILE="config.asp" -->
!--#INCLUDE FILE="config.asp" -->
<% '########## Control Forum Access Mod %>
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="inc_functions.asp" -->
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="inc_top_short.asp" -->

Does that look like the right fix?

Edited by - cklemmer on 18 March 2002 12:53:24
Go to Top of Page

Caspoory
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 18 March 2002 :  13:04:15  Show Profile  Visit Caspoory's Homepage
quote:

I seem to be able to fix this if I include this block of code in the top of pop_icon_legend.asp:

<!--#INCLUDE FILE="config.asp" -->
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="inc_functions.asp" -->
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="inc_top_short.asp" -->

Does that look like the right fix?

Absolutely spot on! This is the right fix, which is adding the line to include the inc_functions.asp.

Another way is to take out the authorisation (undo the changes) from the inc_top_short.asp, as I don't believe it is necessary to authorise on the pop ups.

Or even a better way, is to include the inc_functions.asp in the inc_top_short.asp, which means you only need to edit one file

NOTE: It looks like you have included config.asp twice in the fix code! I think its a copy/paste issue .

Thanks for the fix.

Go to Top of Page

cklemmer
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2002 :  08:20:07  Show Profile
OK, thanks. I guess now all my pop-ups are happy. Again, nice mod. Just what I needed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07