Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Intrepidone
Average Member

Canada
515 Posts

Posted - 04 February 2002 :  21:42:33  Show Profile
Title: HTML Add-on MOD - for NewsLetter MOD

Author: Intrepidone

NOTE: You MUST have hoff_s NewsLetter MOD installed first, if you do not have it, you can download the (Updated) Newsletter MOD here

This MOD will only work if your forum supports either ASPEMAIL, CDONTS, or JMAIL. There is no support for other mail settings as I could only test it with these 3

Download: the MOD here. (with fix)

Screen Shot of NewsLetter received with Eudora here

Support: Help: MOD Implementation

Ease of Installation (1-Hard, 10-Easy): 8
2 files to edit, nlEmail_List.asp with 1 line and inc_mail.asp just 1 code replacement.

Features:
This MOD will give you the option of sending a NewsLetter in plain text or in HTML. It also takes advantage of the Enhanced Formating Mod and Post Buttons MOD. Also added code so if a person wishes to unsubscribe from the NewLetter, when they click on the link at the bottom of the NewsLetter, their subscription will be deleted automatically.

All the Post Buttons insert HTML in the text box when clicked on. It also uses the Basic and Prompt MODE: and a Preveiw can be seen before it is mailed. The NewLetter is emailed with the default Snitz look and feel and the tables are hard coded in the nlEmail_List_html.asp file. You have the option to change what will be in the Header of the NewsLetter, the Category Cell and all the HTML you insert will be put in the 'Main Body'. There is a text box for a Closing Message: and a text box for the Copyright/Footer:

Also hard coded in the file is the code for a person to unsubscribe.

It was tested on OutLook Express, OutLook, Eudora, Hotmail and all produced the same results. I could not get my Netscape Mail setup ...lol .. will test it on that sometime.

Thats about it, if anyone can think of any other Post Buttons they would like to insert HTML with let me know. I tried iframe and flash, they worked with Outlook Express but not with Eudora, so I took them out, whats the use of inserting code in a NewsLetter if some people may not be able to see the whole NewsLetter. Let me know how it works

Intrepidone

Edited by - Intrepidone on 05 February 2002 06:50:03

Edited by - Intrepidone on 05 February 2002 18:26:55

Edited by - Intrepidone on 06 February 2002 20:12:02

Edited by - Intrepidone on 07 February 2002 06:08:47

nathansym

163 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2002 :  00:10:06  Show Profile  Visit nathansym's Homepage  Send nathansym an AOL message
OK .... I couldnt wait until tomorrow to install the MOD!!!!

I tried to install it and did everything (edited the 2 files and uploaded the others)

But when I click on the link to "nlEmail_List_html.asp"

I get an Internal Server error

==================================

The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Open the www.oogaba.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Click Search to look for information on the Internet.
You can also see a list of related sites.

HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer

==================================

PS ... the text newsletter link still works fine.

- Thanks
- Nathan
- www.oogaba.com

Edited by - nathansym on 05 February 2002 00:12:14
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2002 :  01:28:55  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Use this page : http://www.morningz.com/mz/crystal/quick/friendly/friendly.asp to see the actual errors.

Nathan Bales - Romans 15:13
---------------------------------

Snitz Exchange | Mod Resource
Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2002 :  03:35:05  Show Profile
Intrepidone,

Nice add on to the newsletter mod. Worked first go for me. Just a matter of now getting the registration during sign-up happening. Great work.

Regards,

Webmaster @ Classic Motorycling Australia
Classic Motorcycling Australia
Go to Top of Page

Intrepidone
Average Member

Canada
515 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2002 :  05:14:17  Show Profile
nathansym,

Make sure you follow the link provided by Nathan for Turning Off "Show Friendly Errors"

I just went to your site and entered nlEmail_List_html.asp and if it worked, or was there it should have asked me for the admin login, but it is saying The include file 'inc_code_html.asp' was not found.

Try uploading 'inc_code_html.asp' again to your Forum directory.

Thanks Classicmotorcycling,
I was working on the registration part but got so lost my hair turned grey faster

Intrepidone
Go to Top of Page

nathansym

163 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2002 :  08:42:14  Show Profile  Visit nathansym's Homepage  Send nathansym an AOL message
Yes Intrepidone it worked.

Im a dummy!

Awesome mod!!!!

yes would be awesome if they automatically signed up on registration .... today Im gonna go through and enter in each members email addy .... unless there is a simpler way????

- Thanks
- Nathan
- www.oogaba.com
Go to Top of Page

Intrepidone
Average Member

Canada
515 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2002 :  20:09:41  Show Profile
Ok, Hmmmm!!!

I just found a little bug with this MOD. When someone registers or an email is sent from the forum in any other manner, pop_send_to_friend, or a subscription, etc... the email is not sent properly.

All the text is there but a hyperlink will not show and there are no breaks, etc....

I do not have a clue why it is doing this, I am trying to do all I can to fix this.

Intrepidone
Go to Top of Page

hoff_s
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2002 :  20:16:39  Show Profile
Intrepidone, great work and well done.

Hoff_s

Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2002 :  01:41:34  Show Profile
Intrepidone,

OK, found a quick easy fix for it. What I have done to get a fix is create a inc_mail_html.asp with the change you need to do to the inc_mail.asp and left the inc_mail.asp alone.

I then changed the nlEmail_List_html.asp at line 75 and changed that to call the inc_mail_html.asp and that is it. Almost as easy as the mod it's self. Well actually you can include the inc_mail_html.asp with the mod and that only will leave the nladmin.asp file to alter.

Hope that helps you out.

quote:

Ok, Hmmmm!!!

I just found a little bug with this MOD. When someone registers or an email is sent from the forum in any other manner, pop_send_to_friend, or a subscription, etc... the email is not sent properly.

All the text is there but a hyperlink will not show and there are no breaks, etc....

I do not have a clue why it is doing this, I am trying to do all I can to fix this.

Intrepidone

Regards,

Webmaster @ Classic Motorycling Australia
Classic Motorcycling Australia
Go to Top of Page

Intrepidone
Average Member

Canada
515 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2002 :  06:06:03  Show Profile
Thanks Classicmotorcycling, thats exactly what I did. Actually I feel about this big, my wife walked up to me last night and said "Why don't you just create a new inc_mail file with just the code for the NewsLetter." I felt so stupid

FIX: On line #75 of nlEmail_List_html.asp change this
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="inc_mail.asp" -->
to this
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="inc_mail_html.asp" -->

Restore your inc_mail.asp file back to it's original (I supplied it in the updated .zip file here)

I created a new file named inc_mail_html.asp, just put that in your Forum directory. The nlEmail_List_html.asp will now call inc_mail_html.asp which just contains the code for aspemail, cdonts and jmail.

If you want to change other parts of your Forum to send out email in HTML, like register.asp, you can have it call inc_mail_html.asp instead of inc_mail.asp

Intrepidone
Go to Top of Page

Intrepidone
Average Member

Canada
515 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2002 :  06:47:51  Show Profile
quote:

Intrepidone, great work and well done.

Hoff_s

Hoff_s, thank you for this NewsLetter MOD, it's a great MOD for any Forum.

Intrepidone
Go to Top of Page

nathansym

163 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2002 :  08:05:06  Show Profile  Visit nathansym's Homepage  Send nathansym an AOL message
Thanks for the fix!

Again, great MOD!!!!

- Thanks
- Nathan
- www.oogaba.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07