MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)
 MOD: ALIAS
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snaayk

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 09 December 2001 :  15:11:30  Show Profile  Visit snaayk's Homepage  Send snaayk an AOL message  Send snaayk an ICQ Message  Send snaayk a Yahoo! Message
NAME: ALIAS MOD
AUTHOR: Tony Basallo, aka snaayk
VER: 1.01
TESTED ON: Snitz 3.3
DB: ACCESS (haven't tried anything else)

DOWNLOAD FROM: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/snaayk

Included in the Zip are 3 files:

topic.asp
post.asp
post_info.asp
alias_readme.txt (read it before you try)

I will be going on vacation Monday. When I return I can help out with any problems as well as start on the dbs file to automate the db changes.

WHAT IT DOES: Adds a field to post.asp to add additional information to the db. This info is then displayed on topic.asp. In this case the info is an alias to the username. So instead of always saying snaayk as the author it could say "joe".

A table is needed to hold registered alias. the form that adds the info should check to make sure that the alias does not exist as an alias or as a user already.
I have made a form already that yo can use. This form was made using Dreamweaver and it checks both M_NAME and ALIAS_NAME to make sure that a new alias does not already exist. The form is at the above link. You will need to place <%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT"%> at the top of whatever page you put it. For it to work properly it should have strDBNTUserName defined. I did this by including the page in a setup such as:

<!--#INCLUDE virtual="/common/config.asp" -->
<!--#INCLUDE virtual="/common/inc_functions.asp" -->
<!--#INCLUDE virtual="/common/inc_top.asp" -->
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<tr>
<td width="100%"><!--#include virtual="/common/alias_form.asp"-->
</td>
</tr>
</table>
<!--#INCLUDE virtual="/common/inc_footer.asp" -->

You might substitute /common/ for /forum/ depending on your setup.

I don't think I missed anything. The readme should answer any questions. If not just ask.

Enjoy my first MOD.

Edited by - snaayk on 09 December 2001 15:11:54

snaayk

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 09 December 2001 :  15:15:12  Show Profile  Visit snaayk's Homepage  Send snaayk an AOL message  Send snaayk an ICQ Message  Send snaayk a Yahoo! Message
For the next version I plan on adding the following:

TITLE: The alias can have its own title.
AVATAR: The alias can have its own avatar
PRIVATE: The alias will have a secret owner. nobody but admins and moderators will know who the owner of the alias is (it currently displays it on the bottom of each post)

In case you were wondering

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07