Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  14:26:12  Show Profile
quote:
here's an idea to a really good logging mod G. I was thinking of checking the date and creating new logs for every month of the year
which will slim down the size of the log file and conveniently would
offer separate files for reviewing by month. my log file is already
5 megs in a matter of 2 weeks.

Yeah I had been thinking that too. That will be easy. you can name the logfile to include monthname and year. So that will keep a file for each month automatically. Will post the changes.
quote:
oh yeah, as a side note, I review this log quite frequently andctually found someone trying to get to my admin areas several times
which allowed me to eventually ban them by ip.

I too look at contents of this file and is really a usefull log file.

www.forumSquare.com - GauravBhabu - It is difficult to IMPROVE on Perfection, There is no harm in Keep Trying.
Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  14:27:24  Show Profile
quote:
I also have the same problem I have the latest version of the active users build (I think rewritten by nathan not your build)
I have looked in to the log file and I do not see where the user is. I have looked in the inc_top.asp file but I do not have the line

strScriptName = Request.servervariables("script_name")

Let me know if you would like to see any of my files

Then just add this statement immediately before the code for the log file.

www.forumSquare.com - GauravBhabu - It is difficult to IMPROVE on Perfection, There is no harm in Keep Trying.
Go to Top of Page

Kong

100 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  16:18:02  Show Profile
Add it where?

I (and I think SimonT) have Active Users Mod 3.5 installed and don't see that line anywhere inc_top.asp. You say to add it with the rest of the coding but I'm assuming you mean with the rest of the coding for the inc_top.asp.

I have active users intalled and wanted to use the other coding. Should I just add that line in the inc_top.asp anyway?

SimonT

United Kingdom
202 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  17:11:04  Show Profile

'Log file settings
dim iplg, logFile8
set iplg=server.createObject("scripting.FileSystemObject")

is there any way that when the page is logged it can show the full page eg post.asp?method=Reply&TOPIC_ID=1910.. not just post.asp ?
Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  17:26:25  Show Profile
quote:

Add it where?

I have active users intalled and wanted to use the other coding. Should I just add that line in the inc_top.asp anyway?

Just add that one line above the script which is mentioned under Active users Mod Installed

Go to Top of Page

Kong

100 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  18:31:36  Show Profile
K maybe it's just me but I'm having a hard time figuring out what is going on in this thread.

I have Active Users v3.5 installed, I do not have the line strScriptName = Request.servervariables("script_name") in my inc_top.asp.

I have put the following lines (as instructed above) in to my inc_activeusers.asp

dim iplg, logFile8
set logFile8=iplg.openTextFile(server.mappath("/forum/FOLDERNAME/IPLOG.txt"),8)
logFile8.write strOnlineCheckInTime & Chr(9) & strOnlineUserIP & CHR(9) & strScriptName & CHR(9) & strOnlineUser & vbCrLf
logFile8.close
set logFile8=nothing
set iplg=nothing

It all seems to work. It shows me the date and time, userip and username. However, it does not show me where they visited.

Now, my questions are as follows...

The line - strScriptName = Request.servervariables("script_name") - which is supposed to be in the inc_top.asp, what does it do? Is it needed if you have Acive Users Mod installed? If yes, where does it belong?

Also, Do you know why it isn't showing me what pages people are viewing?

I'm sorry if this is getting repeatative but I need to know and so far I don't have a clue... I'm having a hard time understanding what questions the answers which have been given belong to.

Edited by - Kong on 03 February 2002 18:35:17
Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  19:23:36  Show Profile
May be this statement is not in v3.5. Just add it as shown and you will be all set.

dim iplg, logFile8
set logFile8=iplg.openTextFile(server.mappath("/forum/FOLDERNAME/IPLOG.txt"),8)
logFile8.write strOnlineCheckInTime & Chr(9) & strOnlineUserIP & CHR(9) & strScriptName & CHR(9) & strOnlineUser & vbCrLf
logFile8.close
set logFile8=nothing
set iplg=nothing

Go to Top of Page

Kong

100 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  20:21:22  Show Profile
Excellent. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I have only one more questions.

Now that it is showing where they are viewing, is there a way to dispaly the Name of the page and not the URl. eg Topic: I have a headache.

The same way it displays it in the active users area.

klombardi
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2002 :  22:59:19  Show Profile
ok,

I have Active Users Mod 3.5, and the following lines do not appear anywhere in inc_activeusers.asp.

'CHECK IF USER NAME AND IP ADDRESS MATCH
set rsWho = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

Was this code removed as part of a newer version of the Active Users Mod. I did a search for that code through all the Snitz Forum code that was on my server, and it didn't appear anywhere. We are using Version 3.3.03 on our server. Any chance you could tell me where to put the User Log code with the newer versions?
Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2002 :  23:23:54  Show Profile
It is around Line 160 in inc_activeusers.asp

Go to Top of Page

Kong

100 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2002 :  03:34:19  Show Profile
A few posts up I had asked if there was a way to display the Title of the page and not the URL. Thinking about it I figure that's probably too hard to set up or it would take too long to write.

Would it be possible to set it up so that it displays the full url?

eg. http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19108
and not just http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp

klombardi
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2002 :  11:53:15  Show Profile
Rakesh, I put the code in around Line 160, works like a charm, thanks :)

To the other people trying to find out how to add the code in that shows what page the user is viewing, you can change the following code to get that information into your logs. If you are using Active Topics 3.5, go into inc_activeusers.asp and change strScriptName to strOnlineLocation in the following line and you will see the page accessed and not just the script name. I did it in mine and it's works very nicely.

Thanks again Rakesh for this great code, it's going to help out a lot.

- Kevin Lombardi
Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2002 :  12:26:22  Show Profile
quote:

Would it be possible to set it up so that it displays the full url?

eg. http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19108
and not just http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp

Add the text in red as shown

logFile8.write strOnlineCheckInTime & Chr(9) & strOnlineUserIP & CHR(9) & strScriptName & "?" & Request.querystring & CHR(9) & strOnlineUser & vbCrLf

if you have active users Mod installed then use this

logFile8.write strOnlineCheckInTime & Chr(9) & strOnlineUserIP & CHR(9) & strOnlineLocation & CHR(9) & strOnlineUser & vbCrLf

Edited by - GauravBhabu on 07 February 2002 12:31:26

Edited by - GauravBhabu on 07 February 2002 16:30:34
Go to Top of Page

Kong

100 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2002 :  16:00:55  Show Profile
quote:

if you have active users Mod installed then use this

logFile8.write strOnlineCheckInTime & Chr(9) & strOnlineUserIP & CHR(9) & OnlineLocation & CHR(9) & strOnlineUser & vbCrLf

In order for me to get it to work I had to add str before OnlineLocation like so:

logFile8.write strOnlineCheckInTime & Chr(9) & strOnlineUserIP & CHR(9) & strOnlineLocation & CHR(9) & strOnlineUser & vbCrLf

It wasn't working without it. The only weird thing about it is that it adds hyperlink coding to the text but since it's a text file it displays the code.

Like so...
20020207153446 209.91.129.184 Kong <a href="default.asp">Forums</a>

To View it I wrote a small ASP file which displays the TXT file and it works that way.

Thanks for helping me out.

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2002 :  16:31:30  Show Profile

Okay use this, then

logFile8.write strOnlineCheckInTime & Chr(9) & strOnlineUserIP & CHR(9) & strScriptName & "?" & Request.querystring & CHR(9) & strOnlineUser & vbCrLf

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07