Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 18 November 2001 :  04:14:46  Show Profile
Hello,

I have been playing about with the Newsletter mod (from http://freeaspcode.net/snitz/details.asp?id=24) and added so that the user knows the e-mail address they are subscribed with.

In nlEmail_List.asp you need to change the following line;
					strMessage = strBody & vbcrlf & vbcrlf & "If you want to unsubscribe from this list, please go to: " & strForumURL & vbCRLF %>

to

strMessage = strBody & vbcrlf & vbcrlf & "If you want to unsubscribe from this list, please go to: " & strForumURL & "." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "You are subscribed as: " & strRecipients & vbCRLF %>

Thought that I would share it as some people like to know what they are subscribed as.

Regards,

Webmaster @ Classic Motorycling Australia
Classic Motorcycling Australia

fickle

83 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2001 :  17:50:40  Show Profile
is there a way to import all the emails from FORUM_MEMBERS? the db you get to start off with is blank. so that would mean i would ahve to manually put everyone in the db myself.. there has goto be a easier way

Go to Top of Page

kc070697
Starting Member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2001 :  21:55:14  Show Profile  Visit kc070697's Homepage
I have to agree with you, fickle. There must be a way to populate & refresh the newsletter emails from the database.

--KC
Go to Top of Page

fickle

83 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2001 :  11:02:09  Show Profile
im not to keen on asp but with the knowledge i do know, i dont think its possible. this mod when installed should ahve been installed in the begining of installing snitz. therefor the db would populate every time a new user is created. (maybe huwr can make this mod part of the new install of snitz)

i think there is someone who is creating an add-on for this mod whihc puts the new emails in the news table when a new user is created (with the option to actually remove themselves from list)

i have yet to hear from this developer however..

hopefully this developer is still working on it

Go to Top of Page

barky81

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2002 :  20:40:22  Show Profile
Shouldn't this be re-thought?

It seems to me that there should NOT be a new e-mail table separate from the member table.

There should simply be a yes/no field added (linked?!?!) to the member table for subscription. Then re-write the actual newsletter admin script to simply query the table and build a list of subscribed e-mail addresses.

This would have the added advantage of "auto-updating" if the member changes their e-mail address. (Combined with the e-mail random password mod, you would then always have a valid address, and the possibility of e-mailing the list.

Users could then "manage" their subscription by updating their profiles, right?

Finally, it "forces" registration for newsletter subscription; or in my case (a controlled access forum), prevents non-members from being able to receive the e-mailed newsletter directly. Right now, any address can be plugged in, whether they are a member or not, right?

Go to Top of Page

Quadrifoglio
Starting Member

Belgium
32 Posts

Posted - 17 January 2002 :  05:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Quadrifoglio's Homepage  Send Quadrifoglio an ICQ Message
Yes, newsletter- and forum membership are totally independent if you install the "Updated Newsletter Mod". However, someone has posted some code on the snitz forum that signs new forum members automatically up to your newsletter.

Go to Top of Page

barky81

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 17 January 2002 :  10:47:17  Show Profile
quote:

Yes, newsletter- and forum membership are totally independent if you install the "Updated Newsletter Mod". However, someone has posted some code on the snitz forum that signs new forum members automatically up to your newsletter.

True, but isn't all the extra code does is "automate" the posting of the signup e-mail address to the "newsletter db table"? Unfortunately, the two tables still are not linked, and so it really doesn't address the issue. And once the e-mail address is stuffed into the newsletter table it loses all relation to the user's *actual* e-mail address (as stored in the members table?

My question is, since there already is an M_Email field in the user table; so why don't these mods work with it?

Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 17 January 2002 :  14:15:33  Show Profile
Barkly81,

It would be nice to have it so new users have the option at registration to join the newsletter, but only having members able to join the newsletter isn't that clever.

Think about it, you have non-members getting your newsletter; you are in turn advertising your site/service to not only your members that have joined your forum, but others as well. Also if someone decides they no longer wish to receive the newsletter and you delete their details from your member list. It is good to have the details of the newsletter separate to that of the forum members just in case you delete member’s details by mistake.

I also personally like non-members the ability to receive the newsletter and maybe they will join the forum when they get some news in a newsletter e-mail they receive.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,

Go to Top of Page

barky81

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 17 January 2002 :  14:30:23  Show Profile
quote:

I also personally like non-members the ability to receive the newsletter and maybe they will join the forum when they get some news in a newsletter e-mail they receive.

I don't disagree with that, but....

Look at how it works for members:

They have an e-mail address in their profile, this is the one used for password purposes (if you use those mods, etc.), other user contact (send message, etc.).

Then they have an e-mail in the newsletter list, but it could get out of sync with their "official" e-mail address. Right now, they have to input their current newsletter address and unsubscribe; then input their "real" address and subscribe. Hopefully everything gets typed right, is remembered etc.

Now, what about just stuffing newsletter-only subscriptions into a linked table? Then they don't mess up your member table, but your member's are managed in sync with the rest of their profile?

My setup is a pre-registered members-only forum. (Members cannot register themselves; they are registered by the admin...) I am trying to implement a subscribe/unsubscribe newsletter component, as well as just a mass update the members mailing function. The current mod is totally inappropriate to that and before doing something totally different, was just wondering if the two uses could co-exist...

I do understand your point of view...

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 17 January 2002 :  16:40:58  Show Profile
Barkly81,

If you look at Auto-Newsletter Topic, it shows you how to implement it to auto update your member's e-mail in the Newsletter DB when they update their email address, so that should help in what you are saying needs to happen. Should it not?

Regards,

Go to Top of Page

barky81

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 17 January 2002 :  17:49:53  Show Profile
quote:

it shows you how to implement it to auto update your member's e-mail in the Newsletter DB when they update their email address, so that should help in what you are saying needs to happen. Should it not?

Actually, no, not really. All it does it auto-stuff the e-mail into the mailing list (although I am not clear what happens when there *isn't* an e-mail address)... Also, with that mod, how do you UNsubscribe? It is supposed to be an optional subscription (even if you start out subscribed)...

And that mod appears to assume that you have both the auto-stuff new registrants method and the non-registered subscription form... Which to my mind could lead to a real mess unless there were some serious checking...

In other words, they are "auto-stuffed" at registration, but after that, it's back to the form (i.e., what happens if they unsubscribe? And later want to re-subscribe...)

It's just that nothing seems more trackable/manageable than a yes/no check box to subscribe in the profile...(at least for registered users)?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07