Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 24 October 2001 :  02:56:22  Show Profile
See here: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36596

Edited by - Davio on 09 October 2002 07:00:47

Hopper

192 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2001 :  16:54:30  Show Profile  Send Hopper an ICQ Message
I installed your poll mod and there are a few quirks that im having.. wondered if you could give me some insight.

#1 When you vote on a forum it goes to display the results but it doesnt show the vote you just made.. if I create a poll, then vote on it myself it doesnt show my vote when it goes to the view results screen. and if I try to refresh to see my vote displayed it says I can only vote once. If I leave the poll after I vote and then go back into it, it shows my vote registered correctly.

#2 When you delete the poll from the forum, it does not remove the poll # from the M_Poll field in the members table. As more and more polls are added this would make a rather cluttered field and a potential problem given that the field is a character field with a length of 255.

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2001 :  00:24:03  Show Profile
quote:
#1 When you vote on a forum it goes to display the results but it doesnt show the vote you just made.. if I create a poll, then vote on it myself it doesnt show my vote when it goes to the view results screen. and if I try to refresh to see my vote displayed it says I can only vote once. If I leave the poll after I vote and then go back into it, it shows my vote registered correctly.
I know about this bug. It's unique only to SQL users. I went into in-depth debugging of that bug with 2 other members before the forums went down. Got confirmation it worked for one of the users, didn't get the confirmation from the other user, for the forum went down. I'll put the fix in, in the next update.
quote:
#2 When you delete the poll from the forum, it does not remove the poll # from the M_Poll field in the members table. As more and more polls are added this would make a rather cluttered field and a potential problem given that the field is a character field with a length of 255.
Good point. I will think about adding that in the next update.

- David
Go to Top of Page

danhayes
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 28 October 2001 :  09:53:03  Show Profile
To Davio,
I have a Forum up and running but I wanted your mods so I downloaded your new packaged clean install into a new folder. I set up config.asp and all is well.

I am interested mainly in setting up the board so that no one has to register. I went into the Admin option area and saw the pic list where there are 4 mods to choose. I chose the register mod but I don't know if I should have chosen the Anonymous mod.

Anyway I received back a message of a few lines in red...stating that I had failures. So I reloaded the clean install again and am now back at that pic list text box. I don't think that I know what I am doing because I have not been privy to earlier forum postings.

Did I choose the correct mod in my first try? All I want to do is allow members to enter only their username and password...no registration.

I would like it if they didn't have to enter their email either but that's another story.

I would appreciate if Davio or someone can tell me if I click on that Anonymous mod, rather than the register, mod to accomplish what I want to. So I will wait until someone answers before I proceed.

This new clean install with the dbs mods has 214 files in it. Is that the number of files that I should have in this clean install? The 214 files is the number of files after you unzip the tools file.

cheers,
Dan

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 28 October 2001 :  17:11:28  Show Profile
You shouldn't have posted your message in this topic.
You are reffering to the Anonymous Mod I posted. Doesn't have anything to do with the poll mod.

To answer your question, if you download the Anonymous Package, all the mods are already installed. Don't need to install anything else. The Register mod removes the Register link from the top of the page, so you users can't register.
The anonymous mod allows unregistered users to post to the forum. Only thing they enter to post is a nickname.

Please don't post here again if your post has nothing to do with the poll mod.

- David
Go to Top of Page

Hopper

192 Posts

Posted - 28 October 2001 :  23:52:42  Show Profile  Send Hopper an ICQ Message
How long do you figure till the next version comes out so I can let people use this mod.

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2001 :  01:25:43  Show Profile
Let people use this mod??

I don't think i understand you. I would think you mean you want to know how long you're going to have to wait for the next update, before you install it on your forum.

Is the "quirks" that you have with it, so serious that you can't use the mod?

I don't know when I will get around to updating it. When I have some time to do so. Shouldn't be to long (like a month or more). Don't like leaving bugs in my mods. And there is a few in my other mods that I need to fix as well. Not to mention the new features I am including in it. But I really can't give you a definet time frame. Maybe within the next 2 weeks I can narrow it down to.

If you really really really need the fix for the voting not being tabulated after you vote, before the next update, I can give you the fix for it.

- David
Go to Top of Page

Hopper

192 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2001 :  14:21:42  Show Profile  Send Hopper an ICQ Message
hehe.. yes, I mean before I make it active on my forum.. its already installed for the most part.. im not so worried about the tabulation after creation/voting.. my main worry is the way mod checks to make sure the user has voted. And how it doesnt delete the index numbers from that field when the poll is deleted and how it uses a text field of 255 characters which will cause errors as more and more polls are added over time.

If you want, I can make some changes and give them to you for review.

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2001 :  14:43:17  Show Profile
That's ok, I know the changes that need to be made to fix those.

Alright, you've convinced me, I'll update the mod today.

- David
Go to Top of Page

Hopper

192 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2001 :  16:36:34  Show Profile  Send Hopper an ICQ Message
*nod* would be easily fixed.. just add a new table for poll answers holding the id field, poll key field and the user ID field.. that would make it simple to track and also delete with no worry of overflowing a text field. Would also make it easy for admins to show statistics on who voted for what if they wanted to.

Go to Top of Page

VodkaFish
Average Member

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 30 October 2001 :  13:49:44  Show Profile  Send VodkaFish an AOL message  Send VodkaFish an ICQ Message  Send VodkaFish a Yahoo! Message
quote:
quote:
I know about this bug. It's unique only to SQL users. I went into in-depth debugging of that bug with 2 other members before the forums went down. Got confirmation it worked for one of the users, didn't get the confirmation from the other user, for the forum went down. I'll put the fix in, in the next update.

I'm not sure if this changes anything, but I was running into this exact same error, and I am using Access, not SQL. I'd love for this bug to be fixed. I'll then take that and reinstall it fresh.

v ø d k â f ï § h
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 30 October 2001 :  14:18:50  Show Profile
Vodkafish, I only use access for my forums and I have never ran into that bug.
And how come you never reported it before?

Couldn't finish the update yesterday. Ran into some problems.
And it's gonna take me longer than a day to do the updates.

- David
Go to Top of Page

Kenno
Average Member

Cambodia
846 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2001 :  04:44:13  Show Profile  Visit Kenno's Homepage
Good poll mode. It drove me crazy. heehhe.. You know I stayed up till 4:30am, though I have class at 9am. It took pretty long to change all the files. Then after I vote, I can't no longer vote again... it only displays the results... I did not know that one IP is supposed to vote only one time. LOL... Anyway, it's just me....

÷§÷ Kenno ÷§÷
Go to Top of Page

VodkaFish
Average Member

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2001 :  15:15:55  Show Profile  Send VodkaFish an AOL message  Send VodkaFish an ICQ Message  Send VodkaFish a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Vodkafish, I only use access for my forums and I have never ran into that bug.
And how come you never reported it before?

Couldn't finish the update yesterday. Ran into some problems.
And it's gonna take me longer than a day to do the updates.

- David

Honestly, I thought I did. Sorry

Anyway, I just started playing with it again. I guess I'll just wait for you to complete tinkering with it if you are now. Thanx.

v ø d k â f ï § h
Go to Top of Page

nomadturk
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 04 November 2001 :  07:06:17  Show Profile
Good script allright;

But I cant install!!!

Do I have to extract the files and overwrite?

I did but When I install I cant see Guestbook link at top...

Can u explain me how to istall?

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 04 November 2001 :  18:02:41  Show Profile
I am helping you here http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16949

- David
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07