Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cel
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2001 :  11:50:19  Show Profile
I have setup our board with a few private forums on it. I changed the Auth Type to "Allowed Member List" and then moved them from the left-hand column (Forum Members) and to the right-hand column (Select Members). Up until now, it's worked ok but there were a couple bugs. For instance, sometimes, it wouldn't add the name but would instead add just a blank field. Once you have 2 blanks, it would give you an error so you'd have to keep trying till it worked. Again, buggy but it eventually worked. This was using v3.302B4.

Today, I just upgraded to v3.303. When I added a new member to one of my private forums, the name moved over no problem. However, when I opened the forum properties again, the entire list was now erased from the Select Members field. I re-added them all and it seemed to take effect but when I went back into the properties again, they were all gone again. What gives? Why is it not saving my changes now??

Cel
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2001 :  14:53:42  Show Profile
Am I the only one having this problem? This is serious as none of my members can access the forum now b/c the Selected Members list is now wiped and it won't save any changes I submit. Again, this started after I upgraded to v3.303 earlier today. Please help! Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Cel
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2001 :  22:22:41  Show Profile
Still no response.

Maybe a better question is to ask how to properly downgrade back to a more stable version? I've checked, re-checked and checked again my installation of the new version and as far as I can tell, I've done it all correctly. Everything else works fine but this so until I see a more definitive answer, I'm going to assume that this is a bug in the new version.

If I have to choose between a finicky authorization list that sometimes works and one that doesn't work at all, I guess I'll take the former.

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2001 :  22:27:35  Show Profile
I'll check this out... I'll reply back in a little bit.

What database are you using?
Go to Top of Page

mclek

Australia
50 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2001 :  22:41:24  Show Profile
I've been playing with this also.

I was happy as I'm forced to use IE4 and the old code to move selections between the 2 list did not work. The current code moves the selections properly in IE4.

The problem now is that the selection is not saved.

I've noticed that 3.3.03 now uses a selectbox.js file in place of the old code which used to move the selections.

The code still has an onClick event to call a function named selectUsers. With all the changes this function no longer exists, which is probably the cause of the problem.

I'm now getting out of my depth, but I hope this helps someone figure out what should happen.

Thanks,
Kym.

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2001 :  22:44:17  Show Profile
Yes, I noticed the .js file as well, that is new to me. I'll have a look at it and if I come up with a fix, I'll post it here.
Go to Top of Page

baseball

57 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2001 :  22:54:46  Show Profile
hey richard, can u check your mail. I sented it. thanxx

Copyright © 2001 Extra Baseball®. All rights reserved.
Go to Top of Page

mclek

Australia
50 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2001 :  00:40:30  Show Profile
I have made the following changes to post.asp, which seem to fix the problem:

1. Modified line 936 from:

if not(Instr("," & tmpStrUserList & "," , "," & rsMember("MEMBER_ID") & ",",1) > 0) then

to

if not(Instr("," & tmpStrUserList & "," , "," & rsMember("MEMBER_ID") & ",") > 0) then

2. Replaced lines 967-974, namely:
		set rsAllowedMember = nothing
if tmpStrUserList <> "" then
%>
<option value="<% =tmpStrUserList %>"></option>
<%
end if
%>
</select>

with:

set rsAllowedMember = nothing
%>
</select>

3. Replaced 940-945, namely:

loop
if tmpStrUserList <> "" then
%>
<option value="<% =tmpStrUserList %>"></option>
<% end if %>
</select>

with:

loop
%>
</select>

4. Added the following function around line 186:

function selectUsers()
{
selectAllOptions(document.PostTopic.AuthUsers);
}

The member lists seem to work perfectly now. Can someone confirm that these fixes work for them?

Thanks,
Kym.

Edited by - mclek on 21 August 2001 00:41:26

Edited by - mclek on 21 August 2001 00:43:05

Edited by - mclek on 21 August 2001 01:10:32
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2001 :  01:34:51  Show Profile
I was just about to post this...

I have the fixed file here: http://kinser.121hosts.net/link-it/default.asp?catid=3&cattitle=FILES

it's just called post

mclek, that's basically what I did. Looks like the conversion to use the selectbox.js file was started, but never really finished.

btw. Excellent troubleshooting!
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2001 :  02:13:21  Show Profile
I added sorting to this also.

Basically when you move a user from one box to the other, it was putting it at the end of the list. I used the sortSelect function from the selectbox.js file to have it automatically sort the target list.

you can download it here: http://kinser.121hosts.net/link-it/default.asp?catid=3&cattitle=FILES

It's named post2
Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2001 :  02:20:09  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage

And I was so proud of myself that I found that (free to use and include) script.
I liked the script so much that I included it completely so there are a couple of unused functions in it.
If you look in the file, you'll also see the url of the site it came from, there are a couple of excelent examples of how to use the script on that site.

Richard,

I knew about the sorting thing, I didn't use it because it would cause the box to time-out on the site here. Sorting is nice on small sites but if it has to sort a list with 8,000+ items (which is the case here at the site), the browser hangs.

Cel,

Nice catch, thanks

Pierre
Join a Snitz Mailinglist
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2001 :  02:33:53  Show Profile
I figured the sorting would be very intensive on a large site, just included it just in case anyone wanted it.
Go to Top of Page

mclek

Australia
50 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2001 :  02:50:44  Show Profile
Well, even though the code wasnt' quite right, it has helped me heaps, since the previous versions didn't work at all under IE4. So thanks Gor.

Go to Top of Page

Cel
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2001 :  03:45:00  Show Profile
Thanks alot guys! I downloaded the post2 fix, uploaded it and everything works like a champ now. Appreciate the help!

Go to Top of Page

Hopper

192 Posts

Posted - 24 October 2001 :  13:07:28  Show Profile  Send Hopper an ICQ Message
Would it be possible to get the code changes you did documented so that those of us with other mods installed that effected Post.asp could implement the fixes?

quote:

I added sorting to this also.

Basically when you move a user from one box to the other, it was putting it at the end of the list. I used the sortSelect function from the selectbox.js file to have it automatically sort the target list.

you can download it here: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/richard_kinser

It's in the the MODS folder, named post2

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2001 :  23:34:03  Show Profile
Hopper,

Easiest thing to do would be to replace all of the code in your file that is in between the following:

'#################################################################################
'## Allowed User - listbox Code
'#################################################################################

'## Allowed User - End of listbox code

With the same code in the file I have for download. Then just replace the following line (which is a few lines down from the '## Allowed User - End of listbox code:

Response.Write	" onclick=""selectUsers()"""

with this:

Response.Write	" onclick=""selectAllOptions(document.PostTopic.AuthUsers)"""
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07