DEV Bug Reports (Closed)
 Admin: Update Counts is timing out
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rigger82

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2001 :  11:49:49  Show Profile  Visit Rigger82's Homepage  Send Rigger82 an AOL message  Send Rigger82 a Yahoo! Message
Admin: Update Counts is timing out every time. Just cant get it to run completely without an SQL Server (Im on 2k) timeout.
---------------------
Mark Christianson
Gulf War Veteran (82nd Airborne Division)
Owner/Operator of www.paratrooper.net
Rigger@paratrooper.net

Edited by - Rigger82 on 18 August 2001 12:17:47

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2001 :  11:54:51  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
Answer to 3)

This is caused by code in inc_top.asp, if you open admin_home.asp, and change the link for admin_count to this

<a href="javascript:OpenWindow3('admin_count.asp')">

that should stop it timing out.

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2001 :  11:55:47  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
It would help greatly if you only posted one problem per post, that way the different fixes do not get mixed up or lost

Go to Top of Page

Rigger82

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2001 :  12:10:01  Show Profile  Visit Rigger82's Homepage  Send Rigger82 an AOL message  Send Rigger82 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Answer to 3)

This is caused by code in inc_top.asp, if you open admin_home.asp, and change the link for admin_count to this

<a href="javascript:OpenWindow3('admin_count.asp')">

that should stop it timing out.

Well... I changed this... and got the same timeout
quote:

Updating Counts

Topics: ................................................
Topic Replies: ................................................................................
................................................................................
................................................................................
Forum Replies: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e31'

Timeout expired

/aotw/commo/admin_count.asp, line 267

as before... just its now in a smaller pop-up window.

---------------------
Mark Christianson
Rigger@paratrooper.net
Go to Top of Page

Rigger82

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2001 :  12:40:26  Show Profile  Visit Rigger82's Homepage  Send Rigger82 an AOL message  Send Rigger82 a Yahoo! Message
Well, in an odd twist of events, I was testing and trying out the Archive functionality and after it tries to archive, it re-runs the forum counts... the wierd part is that on the ARCHIVE part, the forum count update ran with no timeout and so my problem with the Topic Replies is worked out (all showing properly again).

Dont know the difference in the two bits of code yet.

---------------------
Mark Christianson
Rigger@paratrooper.net
Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2001 :  17:13:46  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
In version 3.3.03 both the update counts codeparts will be updated/changed.
For the normal update count the change means that the page reloads 4 times, each time for one step. That means that it can use the 60000 miliseconds for each step and you can see where it possibly times out.
I tested it on a database with 50,000 posts and, though it took long on step 2 it didn't time out.

As far as the archiving goes, the current code updates the counts of all forums and not just of the forums involved in the archiving.
So if you archive only 1 forum it still updates the counts of all forums
I changed the code so it only updates the count of those that are actually archived, which speeds up that process considerably also.

The code for version 3.3.03 looks stable, so I expect to release it Sunday evening.

Pierre
Join a Snitz Mailinglist
Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2001 :  17:24:36  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
quote:

Well, in an odd twist of events, I was testing and trying out the Archive functionality and after it tries to archive, it re-runs the forum counts... the wierd part is that on the ARCHIVE part, the forum count update ran with no timeout and so my problem with the Topic Replies is worked out (all showing properly again).

So I can close that one ?

Pierre
Join a Snitz Mailinglist
Go to Top of Page

Rigger82

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2001 :  17:29:02  Show Profile  Visit Rigger82's Homepage  Send Rigger82 an AOL message  Send Rigger82 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

quote:

So I can close that one ?

Pierre
Join a Snitz Mailinglist

Looks like it... hopefully between the other topics posted and the update you are going to put out... things will get fixed up before my monday rush.

Thanks.

---------------------
Mark Christianson
Rigger@paratrooper.net
Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2001 :  18:21:12  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
quote:

Looks like it... hopefully between the other topics posted and the update you are going to put out... things will get fixed up before my monday rush.

Well...I kinda have a problem with the couple of posts you made in this forum.
You made the changes to the database by hand, which makes the problems (almost) impossible to reproduce here or at any other site.
So I would rather move them all into the help forum, since I won't be able to deal with them here and/or post fixes for them.

Pierre
Join a Snitz Mailinglist
Go to Top of Page

Rigger82

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2001 :  18:41:25  Show Profile  Visit Rigger82's Homepage  Send Rigger82 an AOL message  Send Rigger82 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

quote:

Well...I kinda have a problem with the couple of posts you made in this forum.
You made the changes to the database by hand, which makes the problems (almost) impossible to reproduce here or at any other site.
So I would rather move them all into the help forum, since I won't be able to deal with them here and/or post fixes for them.

Pierre
Join a Snitz Mailinglist

Whatever you want... I was COMPLETELY unable to upgrade via the regular code... one of the suggestions I have for the setup is that instead of throwing some number error code out... the team should look into error handling so that we can actually figure out WHERE and WHY the setup failed.

---------------------
Mark Christianson
Rigger@paratrooper.net
Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2001 :  18:56:12  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
quote:

Whatever you want... I was COMPLETELY unable to upgrade via the regular code... one of the suggestions I have for the setup is that instead of throwing some number error code out... the team should look into error handling so that we can actually figure out WHERE and WHY the setup failed.

Mark,

Don't get me wrong if I say that you don't know what you are talking about if you say that.
ADO returns identical error-codes with different textual descriptions for quite some errors.
The most obvious and those that can be identified are displayed as nice errormessages, for all the others there is nothing more we can do in ASP then display them, and display where it occured.
I haven't seen that in any other ASP related software yet, and don't think you can get it better than that.

I'm sorry upgrade didn't work for you, understand that you are upset about that, but also understand that I can only start looking for a problem if I have something to look for. "it didn't work and so it did it by hand, but you should fix it anyway" isn't something I can work with.

Again, don't get me wrong, I'm not flaming, just explaining.

Pierre
Join a Snitz Mailinglist
Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2001 :  04:48:33  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
Just pointing to a topic that is usefull in light of our discussion:
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15335

Pierre
Join a Snitz Mailinglist
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07