V33(.02) BUG+FIX: Screen width of messagebox
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trippynet
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2001 :  14:17:39  Show Profile
Seeing as I can't seem to post in the previous "Some essential features for you" thread, I'll have to continue here instead. sorry!

Anyway. Thanks for that code Ribkick, my point though, is that I personally don't run the forum. This is down to someone else. If that code there really does allow replies to be automatically addressed to people, then it should be handy for me to point out to our forum administrator, just how easy it is to implement that feature. My main point about this, was to see how possible it would be to implement those features into the source code for Snitz as they really are almost essential features for large communities and useful features in smaller forums too. Thanks for the code though, I'll experiment with it and see what I can do with it.

As for the 800x600 edit box saga, I have asked the guys on the forum to knock their res's down to 800x600 and to knock the box down to 800x600 and to let me know the results. The results are that 100% of them experienced overflowing text boxes and so I must insist that this is a potential bug in Snitz that NEEDS sorting as it makes the forum's coding appear "sloppy" in a way, as the feature obviously hasn't been reasonably tested. For your viewing pleasure, here are a selection of screenshots and quotes from the people who tried out the sizing changes.

Hmmm..you're right. Is this enough evidence?

Same in Opera:

Same here

"different PC configurations can alter the size of the box so that it fits some times, but not others."

Yes...if you're configured at 1024x768 it doesn't overflow, but a different configuration, e.g. 800x600... well...
Is this the same as "Lifetime guarantee" - the lifetime of the product?

As you can see, everyone who checked it out, had problems. Therefore, instead of it being me who is unlucky in having a PC Setup which causes the box to overflow, I think it is more likely that you are LUCKY in having a setup which doesn't make the box overflow. Basically, in the source code, about 3-4 characters need removing from the size of the box as it has now caused overflowing problems on 7 successive PCs and this is a little too much to be coincidence.

Dave!!

Moved by Gor...

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2001 :  17:23:19  Show Profile
These changes are to be made in post.asp

On line #169

change 80 to 60

On line #178

change 80 to 60

On line #378

change 80 to 60

This seems to work well with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 beta

Not sure about other versions of IE or Netscape & Opera.

I personally never use 800x600 so I've never seen this problem before now.
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2001 :  17:39:42  Show Profile
Well, I could have told you, that the message box was a bit too big width size, since I use 800x600.

But Rich, the size you recommended is a bit too small. In my humble opinion.
I tried 70 or 75, and it fits quite well.
But from 80 to 60 is a big jump since it's only about 3 characters over.

But you said it looks/works ok with IE6 beta. I'm using IE5.5. Don't know if there would be a difference in the way it shows the message box in each version.

- David
Go to Top of Page

Trippynet
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2001 :  18:00:31  Show Profile
quote:

These changes are to be made in post.asp

On line #169

change 80 to 60

On line #178

change 80 to 60

On line #378

change 80 to 60

This seems to work well with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 beta

Not sure about other versions of IE or Netscape & Opera.

I personally never use 800x600 so I've never seen this problem before now.

hehe! I wouldn't either if I didn't have such a lousy monitor. Oh, andall the computers at college run 800x600 too unfortunately.

Thanks for pointing out those changes, I'll approach our forum admin with them and see what he can do with them. Meanwhile, are these changes going to be made to the source code of a possible future release of Snitz?

Dave!!

Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2001 :  16:16:25  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
Width changed to 70 where it was 80 in source of version 3.3.03

Pierre
Join a Snitz Mailinglist
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07