New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spooky
Development Team Member

New Zealand
320 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2001 :  03:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Spooky's Homepage
Im looking for some good real world information on the issues I will strike changing MS based asp to Unix based.
chilisoft have only so much documentation.

Things like asp components that are compatible, the subtle differences between code, where to get ADO upgrades, VB upgrades.

All the basic stuff Im so used to with NT and have to start from scratch with, to get code up to running on both versions :)

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2001 :  04:45:38  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
Don't know the answers to all you questions, but am very interested in what others might have on info on this.

That fact that Snitz Forums 2000 runs on Chili!Asp means that the ASP implementation itself must be good, I haven't noticed codedifferences in the code itself.
The ADO support is something totally different. If we recieve error reports about Snitz running on Chili!Asp it almost always has to do with codelines that access the database.
One of the easy ones to find was the rs.Cachesize (isn't supported), but there are others that are bugs in Chili!Asp that we can't fix.

See a couple of problems posted at their support forums:
ADODB.Recordset.1 error '80004005'
Problem setting up database on Cobalt RaQ4- HELP!! (see the last reply in that thread).
ADO 2.5 objects required
Please help!!! ADODB.Connection.1 error '800a0bb

Pierre
Join the Snitz WebRing
Go to Top of Page

sogoth

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2001 :  05:08:06  Show Profile  Visit sogoth's Homepage
Hi

I'm currently running on a server using Chilisoft's ASP and have found it rather unstable. If the system encountered an error there was a fairly good chance that the Chilisft services would stop running on the system rather than offer helpful advice on where the error is located. Apparently this is a "feature" as it stops the code calling something supposedly "Dangerous". I killed it with a spelling mistake in an SQL query!

This was especially nightmarish when trying to setup snitz as I couldn't test it before installing it onto the live server. I've had to remove snitz and start looking for an IIS host instead.

then again that could just be my host's setup ;)

Paul

Complete Muppet, Borderline Feeble!
Go to Top of Page

Spooky
Development Team Member

New Zealand
320 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2001 :  21:20:48  Show Profile  Visit Spooky's Homepage
Thanks Gor, sogoth.
Certainly Im interested in what others have found or what is possible.
Im not sure how application or session type code performs on Unix.
Its interesting to hear how the forum runs, as that probably answers most questions any way!

What do people using Chili do for email? or is that function just left out.
Can sendmail be performed via asp?

I certainly want to look at minimum support - VB2.0 and ADO2.1

Go to Top of Page

Id

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2001 :  22:14:18  Show Profile  Visit Id's Homepage
chilisft comes typically bundled with it's own e-mail set up called chilimail, it functions very similarly to the cdonts mail object, in fact if i remember right, i believe you can call it with the same line of code, someone correct me on this if i'm wrong though

Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2001 :  00:54:05  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
quote:

chilisft comes typically bundled with it's own e-mail set up called chilimail, it functions very similarly to the cdonts mail object, in fact if i remember right, i believe you can call it with the same line of code, someone correct me on this if i'm wrong though

No, you are correct, even Snitz has support for it build in
The only "bad" thing is, that if you test for it using ASP code, it reports back the same as CDONTS, even though the syntax it supports isn't 100% the same.

I don't know if you can use sendmail, have never been able to find anything of using it in combination with ASP since the number of ASP on Linux/Chili!Soft developers is limited (or so it seems).

Pierre
Join a Snitz Mailinglist
Go to Top of Page

sogoth

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2001 :  03:33:14  Show Profile  Visit sogoth's Homepage
The mail component for Chilisoft's asp doesn't come bundled with the main software package, it's a seperate add on pack that's quite expensive if I remember correctly.

I know my host had found various problems with the generic install and had had it customised and patched to death so beware

on that happy, smiley note .. ;)

Paul -
Complete Muppet, Borderline Feeble!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07