Posted - 08 June 2001 :  16:25:33  Show Profile  Visit mfindlay's Homepage
Title: SuperSearch
Author: Mark Findlay (mfindlay)

Current Version: 2.3
Updated to 2.3 on June 17, 2001

Demo: http://www.sagecomputerservices.com/

Screenshots: (below)

Overview:

SuperSearch is a revolutionary enhancement to the search mechanism for Snitz forums. The most prominent feature is the search results screen which presents results as a listing of hyperlinks to just the posts containing the search criteria. All posts in the search results also link directly to the PREVIOUS and NEXT post containing the search criteria. This allows the user to move forward and back through only the postings containing the search criteria. Once a link is selected, the user is placed at the exact post selected, within the normal topic view page. But there is much more to SuperSearch:

SuperSearch has the following features:

*Provides hyperlinks directly to all messages found!
*Searches by date occur based on all REPLY dates as well as original topic posting date!
*Much improved SQL over the base Snitz search.
*Ability to limit returned hits to x rows.
*Hyperlinks provided directly to forums where forum name or description has search hits.
*Each displayed message provides jump links to PREV and NEXT find items containing your keywords, instead of having to search for next hit item! Even across pages! (Note: within topic) So you can jump directly from msg to msg containing your keywords and ignore the rest.
*Color coding of keywords
*Admin configurable color coding settings
*Admin configurable max number of keywords to allow any single search on
*Admin configurable max input length of search edit box for any single query
*Can restrict search results to just posts from specific members.
*Search results displays date each message was posted, not the last post date for a user.
*Can select multiple individual forums and members from search criteria listbox.
*Maintains search jump links even when using page numbers at top and bottom of page to move from page to page instead of the jump links.
*Hyperlinks to found msgs provided on search results page in both the "topic title' and 'Post date' columns
*Can customize what user sees in the search results. Either a fixed message or the beginning x characters of the found posting.See Customizing Defaults.
*Enhanced debugging option provided to Admin on the Search Entry page to show all queries that execute for the search. Admin can also turn this feature on for all users in case a particular user is having a problem and wants to work with the Admin to view the specific query used in the search.
*Help popup provided from the search form describing each field and how to formulate searches.
*Contains a couple other fixes for the original Snitz search.

Download: http://www.sagecomputerservices.com/downloads/supersearch.asp

Documentation (also in the download): http://www.sagecomputerservices.com/forum/docs/supersearch_documentation.htm

Note: You can also register to automatically receive email notices any time I update SuperSearch. Just use the form on the download page listed above. Your email is not distributed or used in any way except this notification. Those who have already registered have already been sent their 2.3 release notices!

Screen Shots:

SuperSearch search form:

SuperSearch search results:

Selected message: (Note the color coding of keyword and PREV and NEXT search hit icons)

Edited by - mfindlay on 30 July 2001 11:41:11

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 08 June 2001 :  18:16:38  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Couple of problems... I can't get it to install into the topic.asp and I get this error in the inc_top.asp file:

Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a03f9'

Expected 'Then'

/forums/inc_top.asp, line 474

if lcase(strDBNTUserName) = "<your name here>") then
----------------------------------------------^

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
HuwR's SR4 release. Colors and Graphic scheme done by Richard Kinser.
Go to Top of Page

mfindlay

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 08 June 2001 :  18:25:31  Show Profile  Visit mfindlay's Homepage
quote:

Couple of problems... I can't get it to install into the topic.asp and I get this error in the inc_top.asp file:

Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a03f9'

Expected 'Then'

/forums/inc_top.asp, line 474

if lcase(strDBNTUserName) = "<your name here>") then
----------------------------------------------^

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
HuwR's SR4 release. Colors and Graphic scheme done by Richard Kinser.

It should read:

if lcase(strDBNTUserName) = "<your name here>" then

Note the removal of the closing quote. Also, replace <your name here> with your username of course.

The download file has been updated. Sorry I missed that.

Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 08 June 2001 :  22:13:41  Show Profile
mfindlay,

wouldn't the <your name here> in;

be better off with;

if lcase(strDBNTUserName) = "<% =ChkString(rs('M_NAME'),'display') %>" then

rather than just one name listed in the search?

Just thought that that will help with the need to put a users name in there instead of the user wishing to do the search. I haven't tried it yet, but will give it a shot and let you know.

be better if you used [code]
quote:

It should read:

Note the removal of the closing quote. Also, replace <your name here> with your username of course.

Regards,

Webmaster @ Classic Motor Cycling
Classic Motor Cycling

Edited by - Classicmotorcycling on 08 June 2001 22:17:21
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 08 June 2001 :  22:16:10  Show Profile
shouldn't the download link be?:

http://www.sagecomputerservices.com/downloads/supersearch_v1.zip

clicking on the link you gave for download above gets this:

quote:
error 'ASP 0115'
Unexpected error

/downloads/supersearch.asp

A trappable error occurred in an external object. The script cannot continue running.

Go to Top of Page

mfindlay

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 08 June 2001 :  22:50:55  Show Profile  Visit mfindlay's Homepage
quote:

quote:
error 'ASP 0115'
Unexpected error

A trappable error occurred in an external object. The script cannot continue running.

I prefer users access the supersearch.asp since I can then always place the most recent version of it within that page and folks don't have to worry about knowing what filename to use etc. The problem I've seen for some strange reason is that this page responds with that error every couple of days and only rebooting the server seems to clear it up.

Also within that page is a signup for users to register their email address to receive email notifications when I release a new version. I use a simple mailer that sends out a braodcast to everyone's email in the database with the update notification. (Note to all, I don't use the email for any other reason and don't distribute it at all).

The page is back up now: http://www.sagecomputerservices.com/downloads/supersearch.asp

Thanks for the note.

Mark

Edited by - mfindlay on 09 June 2001 20:48:05
Go to Top of Page

mfindlay

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 08 June 2001 :  22:55:08  Show Profile  Visit mfindlay's Homepage
quote:

mfindlay,

wouldn't the <your name here> in;

be better off with;

if lcase(strDBNTUserName) = "<% =ChkString(rs('M_NAME'),'display') %>" then

rather than just one name listed in the search?

Just thought that that will help with the need to put a users name in there instead of the user wishing to do the search. I haven't tried it yet, but will give it a shot and let you know.

be better if you used [code]
quote:

It should read:

Regards,

Classic Motor Cycling

Edited by - Classicmotorcycling on 08 June 2001 22:17:21

Only the Admin's name should go in the placeholder I set there. Remember that that particular link was placed there for the admin to test the new search before making it avialable to any of the members.

By using the Admin's name in that one location, the Admin will see an additional menu item called "Test SuperSearch" which links to test_search.asp. Only the admin would then see that option (in addition to the normal search option) on the top menu.

Once the admin confirmed the transfer of code to the new search, the admin could remove that item altogether and make the normal search link directly to search.asp for all users.

Hope this clears things up.

Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 08 June 2001 :  23:26:57  Show Profile
Does this mod support multi selection in querying? I mean, if I want to find keywords in forum A or B, posted by User C or D.

Edited by - bjlt on 08 June 2001 23:30:53
Go to Top of Page

mfindlay

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2001 :  00:29:22  Show Profile  Visit mfindlay's Homepage
quote:

Does this mod support multi selection in querying? I mean, if I want to find keywords in forum A or B, posted by User C or D.

Edited by - bjlt on 08 June 2001 23:30:53

The search form allows you to specify either all forums, or a single forum to perform the search on. The search will only display results for hits found in forums for which your member ID has authority. For example, if there is a private forum for which your member ID does not have access, yet it has messages that contain your search words, you will not see the message in the search results.

As for multiple words, yes you can specify as many words as you like.

As for multiple members, the current search mechanism only allows the "ALL members" or a single member filter.

Go to Top of Page

Freeman II

232 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2001 :  01:13:56  Show Profile
can you post a demo for this mod?

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2001 :  01:16:56  Show Profile
Freeman II,

Mark has it installed on his forum: http://www.sagecomputerservices.com/search.asp
Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2001 :  01:23:48  Show Profile
So am I using the new search functions now at Classic Motor Cycling Forums, which is working great.

quote:

Freeman II,

Mark has it installed on his forum: http://www.sagecomputerservices.com/search.asp

Regards,

Classic Motor Cycling

Edited by - Classicmotorcycling on 09 June 2001 01:25:00
Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2001 :  02:39:13  Show Profile
quote:

The search form allows you to specify either all forums, or a single forum to perform the search on. The search will only display results for hits found in forums for which your member ID has authority

As for multiple members, the current search mechanism only allows the "ALL members" or a single member filter.

Is it possible to change it to support multi forum/user search?

e.g. I remember a topic i need is either in w/code or w/o code forum, buy either Alan or Richard. It's more user friendly if this is supported and ease database activity, and traffic a little bit.

Go to Top of Page

mfindlay

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2001 :  20:43:49  Show Profile  Visit mfindlay's Homepage
quote:

quote:
error 'ASP 0115'
Unexpected error

Richard,
A new version of SuperSearch is now available and the file you list is no longer available. I prefer that users access the download via the download page for reasons listed above. Could you please delete your posting with supersearch_v1.zip reference to avoid confusion?

Thank you.
Mark

Edited by - mfindlay on 09 June 2001 20:46:42
Go to Top of Page

mfindlay

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2001 :  20:45:55  Show Profile  Visit mfindlay's Homepage
quote:

quote:

The search form allows you to specify either all forums, or a single forum to perform the search on. The search will only display results for hits found in forums for which your member ID has authority

Is it possible to change it to support multi forum/user search?

e.g. I remember a topic i need is either in w/code or w/o code forum, buy either Alan or Richard. It's more user friendly if this is supported and ease database activity, and traffic a little bit.

Ask and you shall receive. The new version 1.1 is now available for download from the link provided in the original topic.

Mark

Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2001 :  16:58:13  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
I just have to say that this is an amazing MOD that addresses all the problems I had with the Snitz search page.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07