Weird IP Address vs. Domain Name Problem
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  09:35:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
I posted this question on Help: General a few days ago but did not get any bites on it. This forum is probably a more appropriate place for it so I'm posting it again to see if I can get this problem resolved.

I'm using the Content Display Mod on my main page (not default.asp). There are a few instances where I'm pulling forum information using the content.asp page. Everything is working fine but...

Until today (Friday, June 1), I was using the IP address because our domain name wasn't available. Now that it is, I updated the forum configuration with the correct forum url instead of the IP address. But, those places where I'm pulling data using the content.asp page, the links displayed contain the IP address rather than the domain name.

Any ideas?

Bookie

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your home."
- George Carlin

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  15:24:19  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi Bookie,

Sorry I hadn't gotten to this earlier. To be honest, I usually look for Mod Implementation questions in the main mod-release thread. When I post a mod, I ask to be notified of all replies on that thread. I guess the thing to do when a new mod is issued, is to automatically come to this forum and start an implementation topic in this forum and then ask for notifications to it.

Anyway...I digress...

Your problem is a little strange. If you changed the forum configuration to reflect the change from IP address to domain name, and the rest of the forum works (ie: your config.asp is working with the data source, etc.), then there should be no problems. I can't imagine what it is, since the connection is relying on the config.asp file. As a matter of fact, looking into your problem I've realized that I was opening an extra connection in the content.asp file, that shouldn't be there. (I was using this for my original test and forgot to remove it. I'll make sure I post something in the other thread and update the zip file.)

Could you send me the file that so I could look at it? Hmmm... come to think of it, try commenting out this section in the content.asp file and see what happens -- before you send me the file (it's around line 92):

' //////// CONNECTION /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
'set my_Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
'my_Conn.Open strConnString

If that doesn't work then send the file to me and I'll have a look...

Cheers,

Rob Poretti
Sascom Marketing Group ~ Toronto
vox.905.825.5373 fax.905.825.5960

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 04 June 2001 15:24:55
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  16:13:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
Rob,
I commented the two lines and it resulted in an ADODB Recordset error. Earlier today, I inserted the following line which resolved the problem.

strforumurl = "http://(internal url)/forum/"

For this page, I do not have the inc_top.asp page included. Do you think that will make a difference?

Since I'm unable to send you any emails, the content.asp page is located as a text file at http://www.bbc.edu/content.txt. Thanks for the assistance!

Bookie

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your home."
- George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07