USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2001 :  06:07:27  Show Profile
Work Mule's Delphi Look-a-Like Frame

DEMO
http://www.scalemodelernetwork.com/demo/sf2000_v3sr4_paging/frame.asp

DOWNLOAD
http://www.scalemodelernetwork.com/downloads/snitz/delphimod.zip

I did this mod in reply to this topic. It needs some tuning up...but just wanted to show it could be done. I've provided the code over here in the small chance that someone really wants to use it.

Nothing really has to be done to the existing code. The mod isn't perfect, there are a couple of things that should be tweaked such as checking for type of forum, status, and member access. Also when you click on the new post link and add a post, the page loads the left frame into the right frame. (minor issue)

The Writer Community

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ally
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2001 :  08:25:00  Show Profile
quote:

Work Mule's Delphi Look-a-Like Frame

DEMO
http://www.scalemodelernetwork.com/demo/sf2000_v3sr4_paging/frame.asp

DOWNLOAD
http://www.scalemodelernetwork.com/downloads/snitz/delphimod.zip

I did this mod in reply to this topic. It needs some tuning up...but just wanted to show it could be done. I've provided the code over here in the small chance that someone really wants to use it.

Cheers! I'll be off to work on this now - I'll show those Future Forums people how its done! Bwah ha ha. Or something :)

Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2001 :  20:25:51  Show Profile
Nothing has changed in regards to the files for this mod, but check out the modification to the topics page.

I modified the topics page by opening up the message area, moved around some icons, duplicated the folder/thread at the bottom, etc...

Click on a topic on the left frame so a topic loads at the right.

The Writer Community

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2001 :  21:08:32  Show Profile
Oops...just noticed I had hardcoded the path of http://localhost// into a couple links and the icons for the topics list page.

Didn't recognize it from the demo until I looked again with my PWS turned off.

The Writer Community

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2001 :  21:45:52  Show Profile
Workmule, I have to say that this is impressive. Never used or seen a Delphi forum, but that looks impressive. Nothing short of impressive. Oh, and did I mention that it was impressive?

Go to Top of Page

suhern

186 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2001 :  22:07:53  Show Profile
I must say that I really like this mod. But I get the following error on the left frame:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: 'CheckSelected'

/forum2/frame_topiclist.asp, line 193

Please help. Did I miss out something somewhere.

Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2001 :  22:18:46  Show Profile
quote:

I must say that I really like this mod. But I get the following error on the left frame:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: 'CheckSelected'

/forum2/frame_topiclist.asp, line 193

Please help. Did I miss out something somewhere.

Doh! Sorry 'bout that. CheckSelected is a function I added to inc_functions.asp. Forgot all about including it this morning when i zipped everything up. It was only 4am when I did it.

'------------------------------------------
' Function: Check Selected - drv
'------------------------------------------
Function CheckSelected(ByVal chkval1, chkval2)
if IsNumeric(chkval1) Then chkval1 = CInt(chkval1)
if IsNumeric(chkval2) Then chkval2 = CInt(chkval2)
if (chkval1 = chkval2) then
CheckSelected = " selected"
else
CheckSelected = ""
end if
end Function

You can either place this function in frame_topiclist.asp or in your inc_functions.asp. I'd probably put it in the frame page since it's not standard to the base code.

I'll get the zip file updated.

The Writer Community

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - work mule on 03 June 2001 22:24:02
Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2001 :  22:40:41  Show Profile
quote:

Workmule, I have to say that this is impressive. Never used or seen a Delphi forum, but that looks impressive. Nothing short of impressive. Oh, and did I mention that it was impressive?

Thank you!

Delphi Forums are now merged and are under the Prospero brand:
quote:

At Prospero, we're taking the idea of on-line community farther than ever before. The result of a merger between the two leading providers of Internet community applications and infrastructure, Delphi Forums and Well Engaged, Prospero has all of the tools and expertise your business needs to create a more personalized, more "humanized" Web experience for your users.

Their client list is pretty impressive!
http://www.prospero.com/clients.htm

Hasbro - Mechwarrior
About.com's forums

They host the community sites for all these people. So the cool thing is that when you sign up with one site, you're actually able to enter other communities hosted by them without registering.

The Writer Community

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

e3stone
Average Member

USA
885 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2001 :  23:21:04  Show Profile  Send e3stone an AOL message
I like the "ignore author" and "report violation" features that I saw on CBS Sportsline's forum. Definitely could have used that "ignore author" feature the other day in thread about the 'copy cat'

<-- Eric -->

http://insidewaco.com/forum/home.asp
Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2001 :  23:35:48  Show Profile
LOL!! Ignore authors could be useful.

Report violations, I think someone attempted a mod for this within the past month. I'm not sure as to the scope. This is another one of those I should do, but I have no ambition.

The Writer Community

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

e3stone
Average Member

USA
885 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  06:22:29  Show Profile  Send e3stone an AOL message
I noticed that you have "68.41 in reply to 68.1 " or a version of that on each message. Are you setting an anchor on each message so people can click a link (perhaps in a window like bookmarks) and jump directly to that message?

<-- Eric -->

Go to Top of Page

e3stone
Average Member

USA
885 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  07:14:00  Show Profile  Send e3stone an AOL message
Right, I've been trying to figure out a way to have the 68.44 in reply to 68.1, but haven't had any luck. Have you actually made changes to your database to keep track of those numbers? If so, gimme a little hint on how you did that

<-- Eric -->

Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  10:25:15  Show Profile
No database changes. Just working with what's already there (well sort of). It has to do with my paging mod.

The links will be coming soon.

The Writer Community

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Morten

Denmark
251 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  13:42:41  Show Profile
This Delphi-look is really cool - excelent. I wish it would be completed by someone. I did run a forum by Delphi for serval years before I got my own site - its like seeing an old frind again

Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  14:08:08  Show Profile
quote:

I wish it would be completed by someone.

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was the Snitz Forums, give it some time!

I wonder how many people would use it? How far do people want this mod to go towards looking like Delphi's forums? Going from the traditional Snitz format to the Delphi look w/ the frame is a big jump for some people. It's a hard sell to people who have never used it and don't understand how it works. I must say that at first I didn't like it, but taking the time to understand how it works (and an open mind), I must say that I really like it.

The trick is going to be making it integrate somewhat seamlessly with Snitz and giving the member the option of which format to use. Like if you go into "Delphi mode" vs. "Snitz mode" some things would get shifted around. The challenge would be to make this an easy mod to install - LOL!! Boy that was funny!!

The following is just me thinking out loud, but if someone wants to comment, I would appreciate it!

I'm going to be ambitious and say that there could be three modes for a discussion board:
1) Threaded view
2) Flat view (like Snitz)
3) Framed view (like Delphi - but Snitzy)

Or is two modes (Threaded | Flat) both possibly having a framed vs. no frames format?

The Writer Community

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07