Different Search Options
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

semifamous
Starting Member

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  16:32:53  Show Profile  Visit semifamous's Homepage  Send semifamous an ICQ Message
As I was about to search for something else before asking a question, I had a thought... What if you could select what you wanted to search by check-boxes instead of a drop-down list?

I don't need it for myself, because my own board is small, but for the board here, what if one could searh through a category for something? Or *two* categories?

Basically a check-list of options Kinda like this:

• A Testing Area
  • Announcements
  • Community Forums
  • FAQ
  • [list]
  • section 1
  • section 2
  • section 3
  • [list]
  • Etc

You get the idea? Then you could search a category (Mods, or FAQ or whatever) and/or a forum.

Just another thought again. I don't need it, but it would be cool if it were available here... =)

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  16:44:50  Show Profile
Right now the drop down lists all forums, so for larger boards that could get quite large.

Were you thinking of staying at the category level vs. the forum level?

Instead of checkboxes, maybe a select list showing 3+ forums at a time and allowed multiple selections would work?

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

semifamous
Starting Member

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  17:31:19  Show Profile  Visit semifamous's Homepage  Send semifamous an ICQ Message
I guess the board won't let you make a list within a list.

This board has collapsible categories, and under each category are forums. Each forum is searchable now via the drop-down list on the search page. To be able to search an entire category would be cool.

Basically, show a checklist showing the structure of the board (categories and forums). If you check a category, the forums under that category are checked.

Long version:

I was looking for how to add the Adtive Users: and Visits Today: thing that's at the top of this forum. I know that the answer I want is going to be in the "Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group" Category. If it's not there, it might also be in the "Help: MOD Implementation" forum, which is under the category "Help Groups for Snitz Forums 2000 Users." But I don't need to search through any of the other "Help:" stuff.

I don't need to search through "Announcements" or "Community Forums", and I don't need those results to show up on the results page.

Did I explain it right that time?
Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  17:44:30  Show Profile
I know what you're saying. Sometimes the thing your searching on could be under two forums or two categories.

In ASP, it's simple enough to do this, but the trick is making this look good on the search page - the html.

--The Writer Community

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

semifamous
Starting Member

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  18:15:45  Show Profile  Visit semifamous's Homepage  Send semifamous an ICQ Message
Well, the output HTML doesn't really have to change. The only thing is that you're adding functionality to search through more than one section, without have to search "All Forums."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07