New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mfindlay

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2001 :  14:21:42  Show Profile  Visit mfindlay's Homepage
Attention MOD Developers:

I have created a MOD documentation template as a htm page to use instead of the typical (when used at all) readme.txt file. (see link to file below).

I am relatively new to Snitz and installing MODs and of the ones I have installed they all had pretty cheezy documentation. (I'm not knocking MOD devs, I love their mods and how they improve my site!!, just knocking the docs )

The mod is a basic htm page but it organizes everything in sections that the reader can jump to from any point in the doc. All you need to do is download it, and replace the sample text with your MOD documentation text.

It might even provide you with some additional ideas on the types of sections you want to include in your documentation.

All the sections are there for you already and all the jump links already established. All you do is replace the sample text with your own. In my opinion it beats the NOTEPAD based readme.txt files hands-down.

It has the following sections: (of course you can alter it to suit your needs, add sections, remove sections (why remove?)

Mod Title:
Version:
Author:
Copyright:
Snitz version tested with:
Download latest version from:
View latest docs at:
Databases supported:
Author email:
Author website:
Report bugs to:
Mod support forum:
Working example:
Change History:
Warning/Disclaimer:
Overview:
File locations:
To upgrade:
To remove:
First time installation:
Reminders:
How Do I...
Known Issues:
FAQ:

It is written in very simple HTML that can be viewed in any browser. You can include the htm page in your MOD zipfile and also place a copy of it on your website (there is a place in the htm where you can link to that version) so users can always view the most up-to-date copy of the docs, including newer FAQs, and other important info!

Since it is simple HTML you can just load it into your favorite html editor and customize to taste.

You can download it by simply visiting the htm document template at http://www.sagecomputerservices.com/forum/docs/mod_documentation.htm and saving the viewed source to your hard drive.

I hope all MOD developers will take a moment to browse this and update their documentation in their MOD packages. Your users (and I!) will thank you and thank you ...

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2001 :  14:57:30  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
Please only post a topic once.
Continue here: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=10243

Pierre
Join the Snitz WebRing
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07