RE: HuwR's mod for Keeping Topics at Top
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2001 :  12:01:35  Show Profile
I just installed this mod and I have a couple observations/questions about it.

The description of the mod is:
This Mod allows you to lock topics so they stay at the top of the forum list.
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=6217

This will keep the locked topic at the top, but whether or not it is actually displayed depends on the days filter set by the user.

Show all topics
Show all open topics
Show topics from last day
Show topics from last 2 days
Show topics from last 5 days
Show topics from last 7 days
..etc

If the user selected only all open topics, then it will not display. If the filter is set to something like last 5 days and the topic is 10 days old, it will not display. Not that this is a problem, I am just curious if everyone understands this.

The other thing is that to keep the topic at top, it also locks the topic. This is good for announcements and other types of topics posted by admins and moderators.

One thing I've seen in another forum product is a something referred to as sticky topics. These topics are always displayed at the top of the topics list and are open topics that can be replied to. I wonder if there's a need/want for this type of functionality.

With having seen the "sticky topic" functionality, when I read the description for this mod, I had different expectations. This isn't in any way meant to be negative criticism about this mod, it does serve a need. What I would like to find out is if there's a need for the "sticky topic" functionality mentioned above.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2001 :  21:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
You can lock a message in place without locking the Thread, its a bit convaluted, but if you Lock Thread and select Lock in place, then go and Unlock it but leave the Locked in place option ticked you can achieve this

Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2001 :  22:30:52  Show Profile
LOL! Was this a bug or a feature or a bug now turned into a feature.

Ah, whichever it is, it doesn't matter. It works.

Thanks Gremlin! This solves it then. This is the way one can force an open topic to be displayed at the top.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.37 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07