Posted - 23 April 2001 :  17:40:10  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
DETAILS
MOD: "Subscribe to Forum via Email", version 1, 23 April 2001
Snitz version: 3.1sr4
Tested on environment: ChiliAsp/MySql/Linux
Download location: http://www.paddla.space2u.com/subscription_mod_1.zip
Author: Anders M

BRIEF DESCRIPTION
On the start page (default.asp) I have added an extra column that contains checkboxes. When you check a checkbox, you subscribe to the corresponding forum. To unsubscribe, simply uncheck the checkbox. When someone replies to a topic or posts a new topic, the subscribers of the forum get an email which contains the text and an URL to the topic.

NEW FILES
pop_subscribe.asp
setup_subscription.asp

MODIFIED FILES
default.asp
post_info.asp

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
1) Put the four ASP files in your forum directory.
2) Create new database table by directing your web browser to setup_subscription.asp
3) That's it!

I have marked the changes in the modified pages (default.asp and post_info.asp), so there should be no problem if you want to add the changes yourself.

LIMITATIONS
If you delete a person or a forum, the new database table that I have introduced is not updated. Be careful about that!! I might add functionality for dealing with this problem (if there is a demand for it)

Have fun!
-Anders M

Edited by - Anders M on 23 April 2001 17:42:36

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 23 April 2001 :  18:37:36  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

LIMITATIONS
If you delete a person or a forum, the new database table that I have introduced is not updated. Be careful about that!! I might add functionality for dealing with this problem (if there is a demand for it)

All most certainly.

Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  02:42:13  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
Since I'm new with Snitz, I would be very glad if I could get some help from experienced Snitz developers/users

Some points I've been thinking about:

• I want to update my subscription table in the database when a member/forum is deleted. Which files do I need to modify? Only pop_delete.asp

• Wouldn't it be neat to have the subscription function admin configurable from a web interface (switch subscription on/off)? In which files do I start looking

• Smilies and forum code doesn't look very good in the email text. Any ideas of how to improve it

Cheers,
-Anders M

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  03:52:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by: Anders M

• I want to update my subscription table in the database when a member/forum is deleted. Which files do I need to modify? Only pop_delete.asp

Yes, you will only need to modify pop_delete.asp
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  04:45:09  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by: Anders M

Your biggest problem will be if someone deletes a category, you should maybe stare the CAT_ID in your table, you can then delete a whole category without having to do an iteration.

Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  09:59:02  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
quote:

Ok.

quote:
Your biggest problem will be if someone deletes a category, you should maybe stare the CAT_ID in your table, you can then delete a whole category without having to do an iteration.

Good idea. I will consider this.

I thought of adding "admin config" in the page admin_config_features.asp. This means that I must add a field to the config table. I see that the fields in this table have names containg "STR", e.g. "C_STREMAIL". What does "STR" stand for?

-Anders M

Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  13:11:14  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Has anyone got this to work with Message Icons? It seems to mess with it.. also my statistics.asp is seperate from the defaut is this normal or just because I'm using HuwR's forum?

Has anyone got this to work with HuwR's forum and Message Icons? if so let me know or if anyone can help me set this up.

Thanks,
Rick

BTW... Very Cool mod! something like yahoo using in their clubs.

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
HuwR's SR4 release. Colors and Graphic scheme done by Richard Kinser.
Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  15:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
quote:
Has anyone got this to work with HuwR's forum and Message Icons? if so let me know or if anyone can help me set this up.

What is "HuwR's forum" and "Message Icons"? If you tell me where I can read about it, maybe I can help you. Is it something my MOD must deal with?

quote:
BTW... Very Cool mod! something like yahoo using in their clubs.

I'm glad you like it. I will add admin stuff as soon I get some time on my hands.

-Anders M

Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  17:45:42  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
I emailed you the files so you can see what it looks like.

Thanks,
Rick

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
Go to Top of Page

Martha2Mary

New Zealand
250 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  18:32:24  Show Profile  Visit Martha2Mary's Homepage  Send Martha2Mary an AOL message  Send Martha2Mary an ICQ Message  Send Martha2Mary a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for this long-awaited Mod!!

Other than the already mentioned issues, I was wanting to find out how I could go about configuring it so that the checkbox to Subscribe only appears beside actual Forums in a Category, and NOT Web Links, as obviously you cannot Subscribe to a Web Link. Anyone know where I would need to edit to fix this?

Thanks!

*If Knowledge is Power, and Power Corrupts, what hope is there for Mankind *
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  19:29:49  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I have it working on my home test site, will be uploading it to my web test site later tonight, did not come across any probs installing it.

Can't think of any reason why message icons should affect this, since they are not forum related.

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  19:31:20  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

quote:

Ok.

quote:

Good idea. I will consider this.

I thought of adding "admin config" in the page admin_config_features.asp. This means that I must add a field to the config table. I see that the fields in this table have names containg "STR", e.g. "C_STREMAIL". What does "STR" stand for?

-Anders M

STR stands for string, it would be better if you placed your required variable in the FORUM_MODS table, the cnfig table is gettin very long, and has been causing some people problems when upsizing.

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  20:08:57  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
having a problem when someone creates a topic, no notify received, although replies work ok, will investigate

Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  21:25:10  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
HuwR... When you get it working can you send me the 3 files so I can see where to put the code because the Message Icon mod changed my code to see where to put in the code for this mod.

Thanks,
Rick

quote:

having a problem when someone creates a topic, no notify received, although replies work ok, will investigate

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  21:37:00  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
will do, fixed the notify on creation of topics, it was missed out

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  22:13:05  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
you can test it here
http://www.magicmushroom.org.uk

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07