Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Snitz .Net on linux
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 22 June 2020 :  16:37:06  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some of you mat know if you frequent the MVC dev site that I am also into Raspberry Pi. With the recent release of the Pi 4 *Gb version I decided to install the 64bit Raspberry OS and see if I could get the Snitz MVC.Net version to compile and run using Mono.

Installing Mono and the monodevelop IDE was fairly painless, and to my surprise so was porting over the code. so easy that it only took a couple of days of tweaking and here it is running using a Raspberry Pi as the backend server.

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 27 June 2020 :  18:57:52  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2020 :  06:46:11  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got it working through nginx now so can be accessed externally https://mono.themediawizards.co.uk/

The main Forum works apart from email (forum uses a third party Postal library to allow templated emails but that isn't working, so am fixing that currently)

you can log in as testuser/password if you want a poke around

Unfortunately the way it currently loads the addins does not work, so may have to rework/think how that works (it may just need a few tweaks but not had chance to dig into it yet)

Having said all that, considering it is running on a Raspberry Pi it performs reasonably well.

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2020 :  05:26:38  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
plugins now all work OK, the only thing currently not working are subscription emails which I should have sorted out in the next day or so.

For anyone who thinks I'm pulling your leg, here is the code in monodevelop on the Pi

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2020 :  07:30:11  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So far so good, everything appears to be working

Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2020 :  04:00:26  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to see you working on this, Huw, as well as sharing with the community!
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2020 :  06:52:29  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had to do something during lockdown

Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2020 :  06:01:23  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For sure!

I'm converting a Snitz forum over into an inventory management program. It's easier for my needs rather than starting from scratch. I'm getting my oldest son into Snitz. He cut his teeth on .NET ... I'm trying to help him be retro. Never know when he might need it. It's like playing PacMan, Asteroids, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2020 :  06:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What ever happened to Ruirib?
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2020 :  15:50:53  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not heard from ruirib in a long time. I think I'm the only one that frequents here regularly. very little traffic these days.

Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 19 July 2020 :  06:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK. Thanks!

Well, I still enjoy Snitz. I am working on two classic forums. I'm not up to learning .NET ... haven't been yet, though my oldest son is into .NET stuff.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 19 July 2020 :  08:28:06  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You really should, classic asp is well beyond it's sell by date

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2020 :  04:54:58  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I now have the same MVC code base compiling on both platforms without any code changes required. I had to change a few things to get everything working on Mono, but the same changes worked in windows too, I still need to do some more testing but will hopefully be releasing it soon.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07