Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Memory Lane
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jezmeister

United Kingdom
1141 Posts

Posted - 01 December 2018 :  20:12:56  Show Profile  Visit Jezmeister's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well hello, strangers! I see Huw's still kicking around but are there any other of you old folks from the dialup days lurking? I'm both amazed and impressed that this is still going all things considered. The age of the forum, socially, has been crucified by twitter and facebook and companies are happy to pay so a free forum... it was the best back then though.

Anyway, I stumbled upon a game I started developing about 15 years ago and thought I'd try it out again, do a bit more work... it took me a while figure out that I couldn't launch it because I was calling the old config and inc_header from a now non-existant forum as I'd built the game out of the forum. I suppose developers these days will never start from the same point of having a community and building from it the way we used to, or if they do it'll be a team of slapped heads instead of just one!

As a slight aside I'm particularly interested if anyone's kept in touch with Marcel(G), in a leavers sort of way. I used to moderate on his site back in the day and he on mine, but I've not heard from him in a long time and this was before our new facebook overlords so I'm at a loss.

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2018 :  08:28:52  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not many people around these days, not seen MarcelG for a long while

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2018 :  23:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still drop by occasionally, but it's usually pretty quiet. I fondly remember the early days with Mike/John/Gor and a couple three pages of new posts on every visit to the forum. I don't do facebook/twitter/etc either.

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2019 :  21:46:37  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still look in occassionally from a nostalgic view

Go to Top of Page

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4207 Posts

Posted - 04 February 2019 :  00:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pop in occasionally, also. I still write code almost daily, but I'm isolated. I tend to avoid the dumbing down sites, also. I prefer having sufficient space/characters in which to express myself meaningfully, and I'm not fond of Facebook and the pervasive collection/dissemination of private data. Although President Trump seems to enjoy "Twitter", it isn't always the best idea to say whatever comes to mind when you have access to those levels of classified information. Similar to Hillary's "What difference does it make?" comment regarding the murder of the Benghazi embassy staff, sometimes it's better to just keep your mouth shut/"tweet" off.
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 17 February 2019 :  16:09:28  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't been around in ages... just popped in on a whim today.

My role at the hospital had changed, and coupled with burnout I'd been doing less and less programming.

I quit the hospital about a year ago and went on sabbatical. Haven't done much programming until recently. Even then, I've been doing more with static site generators than anything else. Hopefully I'll be launching some podcasts in the next few months, and starting a few other things... once I can manage the energy. Burnout sucks. [:~]
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2019 :  18:57:52  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey there, welcome back

Go to Top of Page

Cliff
Average Member

United States
501 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2019 :  15:36:51  Show Profile  Visit Cliff's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I visit a bunch, but as a non-programmer, rarely post.
This was the first forum software I ever used, it makes me happy it's still here.

https://squarewheelscycling.com/

https://www.pathlabtalk.com/
Go to Top of Page

philsbbs

United Kingdom
397 Posts

Posted - 06 March 2019 :  03:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like many dont use facebook in fact dont even have an account. But I do agree facebook and twitter has killed forums to much. It reminds me of when I have my own bulletin board along come the internet and that put a stop to bulletin board.

Who remembers the old days of CB Radio ? Wonder how many HAM radio users around now days.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 06 March 2019 :  15:27:28  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Who remembers the old days of CB Radio ? Wonder how many HAM radio users around now days.[/quote] I still have my old CB radio in the shed

Go to Top of Page

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4207 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2019 :  23:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a CB, a base station, etc.; once upon a time. Most of that stuff was melted when Mount Pinatubo erupted in 91 (our house was close to the volcano).
Go to Top of Page

Zuel
Average Member

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 21 March 2019 :  16:09:01  Show Profile  Visit Zuel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still pop in from time to time because this forum is where my roots as a developer took off. 15 years later, I still stop by to see how things have progressed.

My Completed Mods: News Mod | Zuel's Avatar Add-on
In Development: World of Warcraft Member Roster | [C# Based Forum]

Note - I may take a few days to recieve your email. Hotmail filters all new emails as junk. Would be best to post all questions, concerns in a forum topic to catch my immediate attention. This way others can assist and also correct any similar mistakes.

MSN / E-Mail: ucyimDa_Ruler@Hotmail.com

Personal Bookmarks: How to work a DBS File
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2019 :  16:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote][quote]Who remembers the old days of CB Radio ? Wonder how many HAM radio users around now days.[/quote] I still have my old CB radio in the shed [/quote=Originally posted by HuwR]Long ago I could say WA0DTF checking in :) I still have my Hammerlund HX-140 receiver sitting proudly on top of a file cabinet in my office.

======
Doug G
======
Go to Top of Page

Doughnut
Starting Member

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2019 :  17:51:53  Show Profile  Visit Doughnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote

A real shame to that just about everyone's forum has taken a good facetwitter battering, don't understand it myself because forums are far better...maybe a central list of snitz forums is needed or something like that so that people can jump from one to another that they might have an interest in? don't know the answer if there is one but it's just a thought.

I had a cb too it was a lot of fun at the time, very social at times..
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2019 :  23:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Who remembers the old days of CB Radio ? Wonder how many HAM radio users around now days. [/quote]
Years ago I was wa0dtf. I still have my old Hammerlund HX-140 sitting proudly on a file cabinet in my office. :)

======
Doug G
======
Go to Top of Page

Jezmeister

United Kingdom
1141 Posts

Posted - 04 April 2019 :  17:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Jezmeister's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I get an inappropriately warm feeling from these responses. Most of you I remember for reasons I don't. I do remember that as a kid - as I was - learning how to code I cut my teeth on Snitz and certainly learnt a lot from Huw and Doug, if I remember correctly I also learnt a lot simply by following threads by AnonJr and everyones advice in those threads. I learnt a lot then ended up in a dead end job in customer service anyway.............. ah well. I'm glad you guys still appear from time to time :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07