Setup say OK... but....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

lexar
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2002 :  14:18:15  Show Profile  Visit lexar's Homepage
With the use of the whereami.asp I got the right path.
Setup.asp runs fine and congratulates for the success... but... I get the following message "INSIDE" the Board:

------- QUOTE ---------
Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
Operation must use an updateable query.
/Poseidon/snitz/inc_functions.asp, line 1926
------- UNQUOTE -------
I can enter the ADMIN setup but any changes I make, are not registered... and the above message appears again...

Any idea?
Thanks for help.

Lexar

<

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2002 :  14:56:06  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
It is like the error-message says:
Operation must use an updateable query.

You need to put the database in a read/write enabled directory on the server.
Often that is a special directory allready created for you by the host, something like /db (on brinkster) or /fpdb (when they use Frontpage).

Pierre
Join a Snitz Mailinglist<
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2002 :  21:46:31  Show Profile
More info is here

http://www.dougscode.com/faq/default.asp?id=q1020

======
Doug G
======<
Go to Top of Page

lexar
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2002 :  02:59:38  Show Profile  Visit lexar's Homepage
Thanks Gor & Doug.

what is strange is that it seems that something has been written into the database.
For example look at the members link http://www.poseidone.org/Poseidon/snitz/members.asp you can see that the Admin is there.... MOMENT!, I just realized that the Admin is members since 25th July 2001... I just installed the board yesterday, so it must be a registration already included in the database provided by Snitz... sorry.

I guess I've gotta try again to find out a good place where to put the database...

Thanks in any case
Ciao!
Enrico (Lexar)

<
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2002 :  03:03:48  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
If you dont have a folder titled db, database, fpdb, or cgi-bin, you can ask your host to set permissions on a folder for you.

Nathan Bales - Romans 15:13
---------------------------------

Snitz Exchange | Mod Resource
<
Go to Top of Page

Barry Ferguson
Starting Member

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 19 January 2002 :  20:55:50  Show Profile
I don't know, this is frustrating. I opened Windows Explorer and navigated through to the folder etc, I don't have a "security tab" and I can't find anything which relates to "Modify permissions". I have cleared the "archive,readonly and hide" of the fpdb folder and the .mdb file on my local server then uploaded to the server, no luck! I have Frontpage 2000 and W982E
quote:

More info is here

http://www.dougscode.com/faq/default.asp?id=q1020

======
Doug G
======

<
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 19 January 2002 :  21:16:48  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Perhaps your webserver (I'm assuming its PWS) has the proper tool to change the setting.

The "security tab" only exists in NT based Windows (as far as I know)

Nathan Bales - Romans 15:13
---------------------------------

Snitz Exchange | Mod Resource
<
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2002 :  01:30:24  Show Profile
quote:
The "security tab" only exists in NT based Windows (as far as I know)

That's correct, NTFS gives you the additional security settings. Usually there are not write problems on W9x machines because as long as the file isn't marked read only, it can be written to by anyone that can reach the folder it's in.

I'm not sure what else would cause the updateable query error in this configuration. You could try setting up a DSN to the database and edit the connection string to use the DSN & see what happens.

======
Doug G
======<
Go to Top of Page

Austin
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2002 :  02:13:09  Show Profile
note: this is if you have local access to the machine, and the problem is on an XP Pro machine. if the problem is on an NT machine, you can skip the first step (about unchecking the box for "simple sharing" or w/e)

I have been having the same problem with every single ASP application i have downloaded (including 2eNetworx dev proj and Snitz). XP Pro DOES NOT have a security tab, by default. I feel sorry for all the poor XP Pro users who weren't able to find the appropriate information (this moderator doug [my regards] keeps telling them to go to their security tab, ect...) I don't think doug has XP. I had the same error and it was down to read/write on the DB and the directory it is in. Took me three fcking hours to find this little option in XP's file explorer, but it resolved everything.
--------------------------
On WinXP you might struggle finding how to set the folder/file permissions as it isn't easy, out-of-the-box. Any XP user will need to open up file explorer, then proceed through the menu's: tools >> folder options. Then click the "view" tab, and at the bottom of the listbox, be sure to uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing (recommended)". This will allow XP users to see the "security" tab when they right click on a directory (<<thats what solved the whole issue for me). Next, they will need to go to the directory their database(s) are in, and right click the directory, and select "properties" from the pop-up menu. Then, the XP user must click on the "security" tab. Next, one should click the "Add..." button in the middle of the pane, then click the "advanced" button, then click "find now". A list of all of the available users on the machine will be created in the listbox. One should scroll down to and select the username "IUSR_******" where the ****** would be the local computer name. one should then click "ok", then "ok" again. the "Internet Guest Account" should now be selected in the security tab's list box. now the user should look toward the listbox below the add and remove buttons. here there will be an option "full control". the user should make the box in the "Allow" column checked. then the XP (XP Professional, i might add) user should click "ok". now, the directory should have the appropriate read/write settings. try snitz forums now. those more familiar with administrative settings should recognize where there might be security holes in the given set up and check / uncheck the appropriate boxes.

- Austin B
ASP/SQL/Javascript Consultant

<
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07