Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Help Groups for Snitz Forums 2000 Users
 Help: General / Classic ASP versions(v3.4.XX)
 Emails going into junk folder
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nick Feakes

99 Posts

Posted - 21 July 2017 :  08:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the last couple of years, e-mails generated from within the forum either do not get delivered at all or end up in the receiver's junk mail folder, this seems particularly bad with hotmail and btconnect. I opened a case with Microsoft and got nowhere (the same as several hundred other complainants), all they would say is "your emails are not formatted properly, check the internet for a solution", not very helpful! I set up a new email address with the replies forwarded to my personal email address and inserted that into the email server configuration form and that worked for about 6 months, now we are back to the same problem as before. The website has been white listed but due to all the emails generated automatically by the forum, subscriptions etc that appear to come from me (as the administrator) I suspect we are being labelled as spammers.
Anyone have any ideas how to improve things?
Nick

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 21 July 2017 :  08:29:39  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
firstly you can check if you are being blacklisted by doing a blacklist check.

Re: the spam problem, there are a huge number of reasons why this might be a problem, most of which can be resolved, although don't hold out too much hope with Hotmail, they are frankly a***holes and junk stuff for no really valid reason.

Some things to check for, does your forums domain have an spf text record in it's DNS, if not then create one, if it has one, make sure that the address of the email server is allowed to send email on behalf of your server (this should be all that is required for most mail servers to accept your emails.

If email gets put in a spam folder then the issue is not to do with whether it can be accepted for delivery, but is entirely down to what their server deems is spam or not, basically the only way to circumnavigate that is to get users to add your address to their whitelist. (being put in someone's spam folder is not what gets you labelled as a spammer)

Also checkout MXToolbox online, it offers many tools with which you can test emailing/blacklists/spf records etc

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 21 July 2017 :  09:03:59  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
You could also try sending an email to check-auth@verifier.port25.com from the forum it should send you a reply with the an analysis of the message’s authentication status. The report will perform the following checks: SPF, SenderID, DomainKeys, DKIM and SpamAssassin

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07