Help Groups for Snitz Forums 2000 Users
 Help: Database: MS Access
 Search causes database to lock up
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nick Feakes

98 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2016 :  09:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When using the search function the database sometimes gets stuck in a loop until the script times out. The database is not very large and it doesn't seem to matter what the search criteria are. I have created a log file and the script gets as far as creating the recordset on the line below "else 'end mySql specific code" (my line numbers are all off due to the log file entries).
This is the generated sql: SELECT DISTINCT C.CAT_STATUS, C.CAT_SUBSCRIPTION, C.CAT_NAME, C.CAT_ORDER, F.F_ORDER, F.FORUM_ID, F.F_SUBJECT, F.CAT_ID, F.F_SUBSCRIPTION, F.F_STATUS, T.TOPIC_ID, T.T_AUTHOR, T.T_SUBJECT, T.T_STATUS, T.T_LAST_POST, T.T_LAST_POST_AUTHOR, T.T_LAST_POST_REPLY_ID, T.T_REPLIES, T.T_UREPLIES, T.T_VIEW_COUNT, M.MEMBER_ID, M.M_NAME, MEMBERS_1.M_NAME AS LAST_POST_AUTHOR_NAME, F.F_PRIVATEFORUMS, F.F_PASSWORD_NEW

Sometimes the search works fine, today it locks up every time (the ldb file is generated). I did find a couple of errors in the database (F.T_REPLIES did not match the actual number of replies in FORUM_REPLY) which I have corrected.

All help / suggestions gratefully received.
Nick

Nick Feakes

98 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2016 :  10:59:45  Show Profile
Thank you for moving this, I did wonder if it was in the correct forum. However, I use an Access database not MySql (just to save any confusion). Perhaps I could trouble you to move it again?
Nick
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2016 :  11:32:42  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
If your database is not huge you could try doing a compact/repair which may help, although you would probably need to download the database to do that.

The lockups may not even be a result of your database/search as it could be the server itself that is low on resources and therefore causing the issues.

Best advice would be to move to a more robust database backend rather than access.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

98 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2016 :  15:10:31  Show Profile
Thank you Huw, I will get in contact with the server provider as I do not understand how a search can work perfectly one day, returning the result in under a second but lock up the system for several minutes another day with the same search word.
Is it possible to migrate the records to a different database?
Nick
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2016 :  16:05:57  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
It is possible to migrate from Access to MySQL or SQL Server. There are a few guides floating around here which I would recommend looking over as it's not quite a simple click-n-move type operation.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

98 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2016 :  21:45:38  Show Profile
Thank you, I will search for a guide
Nick
Go to Top of Page

golfmann

United States
450 Posts

Posted - 07 January 2016 :  16:38:57  Show Profile  Visit golfmann's Homepage
I found this mod helpful as well:

http://www.snitzbitz.com/mods/details.asp?Version=All&mid=65
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07