Help Groups for Snitz Forums 2000 Users
 Help: Database: MS SQL Server
 MS SQL to MySQL
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Southern Girl

78 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2013 :  02:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK - I've converted to a Wordpress bunny with MySQL databases.
My Snitz forum is still a MS SQL but I'd like to change to MySQL to ease of stuff like creating backups etc.
Anyone with any tips to convert?

Also, How do I find out the password to my MS SQL database? Can I do it through Snitz Admin?
(It was a very long time ago when I set it)

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2013 :  02:30:43  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
your password will be in the forums config.asp file, there isn't anyway of seeing it through the forum

ruirib is probably the best person to advise you on transferring your database to MySQL.

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2013 :  09:09:17  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
This is always a case by case procedure and it really depends on the tools you have to do it. Probably the first questions is: is your forum a standard one or do you have customizations that required changes to the database structure?

The first step in a migration is always to create a clean table structure. If your forum has no changes to the snitz table structure, you can create the clean structure simply by running our setup.asp file against a clean MySQL database. If you have customizations, well, how you proceed depends on how the changes were added. If the changes are mod related, then you can execute the dbs files againts the same database, after creating the base tables. This may require a clean, unmodded version of the forum code.

If you have changes and they are not mod related and / or you do not have the dbs files, well, you may as well have to recreate the changes by hand. If you have MS SQL Server Management Studio, you can use it to script the table structure and change it, for example.

Once you deal with the table structure, you will have to import the SQL Server data. I confess I never migrated SQL Server to MySQL. The other way around, I have done it many times. With SQL Server 2012 (even with SQL Server 2008 R2), Management Studio can create a SQL 'dump', that is export all the data with multiple statements, usually one for each database record. In most cases, the syntax will be usable against MySQL with a few changes. If you have SSMS 2008 R2 or 2012, this can be an option.

I always import the data not to real database, but to a temporary one. Like this you can deal with errors and repeat the import process until it proceeds without issues. Once it is done, I use my favorite MySQL tool, SQLYog, to dump just the data and add it to the final, real database.

If you have a decent MySQL tool, things can be a lot easier. SQLYog can import data from several sources. With SQL Server, I use Access as a waypoint often, since SQLYog imports without issues from Access and Access imports without issues from SQL Server...

So, there are quiet a few variables. If you tell me how you are, tool wise, I can maybe provide more up to date guidance.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07