Help Groups for Snitz Forums 2000 Users
 Help: Database: MS SQL Server
 Backing up MS SQL Database - how?
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Southern Girl

78 Posts

Posted - 29 January 2011 :  07:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK - So I've had a MS SQL attached to my snitz forum for years but it appears that the hosting company changed server and inadvertantly re-copied the database from the old server over again 6 months later, meaning I've lost 6 months of posts and undermined my reputation amongst forum users.
They claim not to have a backup so I guess it is up to me to backup the database file myself so this doesn't happen again in the future - the question is how?
I don't even know how to access the database (I've just found it on my hosting manager interface but other than seeing the name I appear to be able to do nothing else)
Any advice gratefully received.

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 29 January 2011 :  07:46:53  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
That is just incredible! Is that an actual professional hosting company? They changed servers without telling you and then copied an old database?!!

Anyway, SQL Server backups cannot be made but to the computer where SQL Server is installed. Copying the database data to another computer is possible through the use of some SQL Server tools, so the question is whether you are up to a small technical change to do that (including installing a local copy of the free SQL Server version)?

Another option would be to just use a local Access database just to keep the data, that then someone else could use if a problem occurred with your data.

A different type of option would be to change to a decent provider.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

Southern Girl

78 Posts

Posted - 29 January 2011 :  08:15:13  Show Profile
I know.
They say that all their backups have the same database (less the 6 months). I did notify them within 3 days of the data disappearing.

Unfortunately I can't change hosting as I don't know how to move the database so would have to say good bye to all previous posts....
It looks incredibly bad as I'm trying to build a web design business and I can hardly use my own website as an example now...
Go to Top of Page

Southern Girl

78 Posts

Posted - 29 January 2011 :  08:20:00  Show Profile
Oh - I did know they were changing servers - I was offered the chance to do it myself but thought it was a job I should leave to the professionals. :\
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 29 January 2011 :  08:27:48  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Something must have gone bad with the move, that's all I can say. That's pretty disturbing, that a pro hosting company would commit such a mistake!

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

Mr Pink

United Kingdom
387 Posts

Posted - 29 January 2011 :  17:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Mr Pink's Homepage  Send Mr Pink an AOL message
I use MS SQL and I keep copies of all the forum tables on my computer. Even though I don't know much about SQL I managed to get it working so that I could set up my forum with a different host, so it is possible.

I use SQL server Import and Export Wizard to copy the tables.

Martin
Leyland Forum Leyland Lancashire UK
Go to Top of Page

Southern Girl

78 Posts

Posted - 29 January 2011 :  17:53:45  Show Profile
Oh! How did you do that?

Edited by - Southern Girl on 29 January 2011 17:54:39
Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2011 :  00:01:12  Show Profile
Sent you an e-mail SG if you want a hand.

Cheers,

David Greening
Go to Top of Page

Mr Pink

United Kingdom
387 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2011 :  09:09:08  Show Profile  Visit Mr Pink's Homepage  Send Mr Pink an AOL message
If you are really stuck the I'll tell you how I do it, but you're better off talking to someone who knows what they are doing first

Martin
Go to Top of Page

Panhandler
Average Member

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02 February 2011 :  10:20:57  Show Profile  Visit Panhandler's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Pink

I use MS SQL and I keep copies of all the forum tables on my computer. Even though I don't know much about SQL I managed to get it working so that I could set up my forum with a different host, so it is possible.

I use SQL server Import and Export Wizard to copy the tables.

"Managed to get it working" is my technique as well. I'm totally lost when it comes to MSsql but with help from my hosting company I was able to locate the DTS application on my desktop machine and implement it to transfer MSsql database files from the old server to the a new server.
Doing it was easy. Learning how to do it was a hassle.

Go to Top of Page

Southern Girl

78 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2011 :  16:55:03  Show Profile
Thanks everyone

Sorry - I've basically put my head in the sand over this and hoped some fairy would sort everything out but alas this is not to be.
I have to make a grown up decision

Very disappointed in the hosting company who backs up for 8 days but - despite me advising them in within 3 days - didn't investigate until 20 days later. This provider has given me a flawless service up until now but I am a bit shaken over whether this is a one off or may happen again...

But I have to get the forum up and running again.

Thanks again for all the help and all the messages - I'll endeavor to get back to people in the next day or two.
Go to Top of Page

Mr Pink

United Kingdom
387 Posts

Posted - 14 February 2011 :  08:30:58  Show Profile  Visit Mr Pink's Homepage  Send Mr Pink an AOL message
Southern Girl, setting up a test site is the best way to get it right. you can play around with it until you're confident enough, then choose your new host.

Martin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07