Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

monarocv8
Starting Member

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2010 :  06:11:19  Show Profile
Hi All,

I'm looking to migrate a couple of sites to a new host who doesn't have MS SQL installed. Looking around, MS SQL seems to be rare, and when I do see it, vastly overpriced.

Is there a way (preferably an easy way) for me to convert from MS SQL to MySQL - this would appear to give me a wide choice of hosts, and and for me it would be easier to troubleshoot.

I see lots of threads going from Access to MySQL, but not MS SQL to MySQL...

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2010 :  21:13:03  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
The rarity and cost of SQL Server support really depends on the host. There are plenty hosts that won't charge you more for SQL Server.

That upgrade path is not that easy. I had to do it for a couple forums a few months ago and this is what I did:

1. I used SQL Server Management Studio to generate the SQL for the table creation (these were modded forums or I would have just used Sniz to create the tables on MySQL).
2. Manually edited that script to convert it to MySQL syntax
3. Used the changed script to create the MySQL tables
4. Created an ODBC entry for the SQL Server database, to be able to import its data to an Access DBs
5. Imported the SQL Server data to an Access DB
6. Used the Ultimate version of SQLYog to import the data from the Access DB to a MySQL DB (not the one created with the script in 2, as the import cannot import only the data, so it creates tables and imports the data).
7. Used SQLYog to export just the data from the database created in step 6.
8. Used SQLYog to import the data exported in 7. to the table created in 3.

It's not an easy process and all the steps are required for the proper creation of the MySQL database. I performed two conversions, both forums are working flawlessly. Takes time, tools (SQL Server Management Studio, paid version of SQLYog, Access), but can be done.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 22 October 2010 :  22:08:28  Show Profile
Also don't forget that many of those cheaper mysql hosts will be running apache on a *nix server, which won't run Snitz code. In fact, with windows server hosts it's probably mysql that is rare and sql server common. I know it took my windows-based hosting company about 3 years to get mysql vetted as an available product on their servers.

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07