New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

tom_vian
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2010 :  07:47:18  Show Profile
I'm trying to migrate the current forum (http://www.dwsc.commrich.co.uk) (which has just crashed but that doesn't matter at the mo) to another web host (forum.draycotewater.co.uk).

I took a copy a couple of months ago of all files and moved it to the new host.

I randomly get "The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred." errors. Some times I can log in, some times I can't.

My new web host says that the problem is with the pages as basic .asp pages work.

I've reached a dead-end...

can anyone suggest anything?

thanks

bobdsw

United States
62 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2010 :  08:16:54  Show Profile  Visit bobdsw's Homepage
The first thing you can try is disabling friendly errors for IE (if that's what you're using). It's under tools->Internet options on the advanced tab.

Then, hopefully, the errors you're getting should be more descriptive. It should tell you the file and the line generating the error and make troubleshooting a little easier by giving you someplace to start looking. If you're still stuck even after you get that info you can post the more descriptive error message and someone here is can ususally point you in the right direction.

I was able to get the site to show the error, but my phone only shows friendly errors so I can't see for myself just yet. When I get to a PC I can give it another try.

Phoenix! - Ful site integration, CSS driven & XHTML compliant, MooTools, TinyMCE editor for posts & custom content management, , Visual Theme Designer, custom menus & pages, member galleries with ASP JPeg and ASPResize, ASP WordPress style Blog, web friends, FaceBook, Twitter & other social-sharing integration, ReCaptcha & Anti-Spam Registration...and much more.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2010 :  08:38:46  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
It's showing perfectly ok to me.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

tom_vian
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2010 :  08:42:18  Show Profile
It is intermittent. it works sometimes and not others..

I'm thinking I'm going to install a completely new forum and see if i have the same problems...

Edited by - tom_vian on 18 October 2010 08:45:22
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2010 :  09:13:04  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Clearly intermitent points to a server side issue. Does your host have a good explanation for the intermitance?

Go to Top of Page

tom_vian
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2010 :  09:17:59  Show Profile
No their response is that its the code. A basic asp page works every time.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2010 :  10:10:29  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Really? So how do they explain that part of the time the code works without issues?

I hate when hosts provide no explanations like that - because that is a no explanation. Yes, likely the issue results from having code that connects to the database, but that should lead them to find out the causes for this, not the other way around. Our code is used on thousands of websites, maybe they can explain how is that possible then?

Also, you have a current host, did you experience any issues?

Go to Top of Page

tom_vian
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2010 :  11:02:06  Show Profile
No problems with my current host hence why I went to my host before coming to you guys...

Perhaps I try Dataflame again.

Thanks for your advice.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2010 :  12:27:46  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
It's clearly a server issue, no matter what your new host says. I wouldn't really be able to trust them, with such behavior.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07