Strange happenings?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alfred

USA
1527 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2010 :  01:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Alfred's Homepage
I have been using a very old version of this forum for almost 10 years now, and long forgotten how I managed to write all the code for the modifications I made then. A couple of days ago all icons suddenly had broken links, and did not show. Since I had not made any changes to any files for a long time I naturally blamed the server and entered a support ticket. As is typical, they denied any wrongdoing, and referred me to the forum developer.
Can anyone guess what happened here, and possibly help me fix it?
http://www.ggholiday.com/bg/FORUMS/default.asp

Alfred
The Battle Group
CREDO

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2010 :  02:06:28  Show Profile
Might want to check the image settings, in the admin options. The urls for the image is incorrect.

For example, the new folder icon url is here: http://www.ggholiday.com/bg/FORUMS/images/icon_folder_new.gif
But the forum is looking for it here: http://www.ggholiday.com/bg/FORUMS/images/,%20images/icon_folder_new.gif

As you can see, the ,20%images/ seem to be the culprit here.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

Alfred

USA
1527 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2010 :  10:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Alfred's Homepage
Yes, I noticed that as well, but how can this happen all by itself, without me doing anything to change files or codes? What I mean is how did the ",%20images" get into the code, after many years of not being there?

Alfred
The Battle Group
CREDO

Edited by - Alfred on 06 February 2010 11:12:29
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2010 :  16:08:04  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I wonder if you could also explain why the Snitz copyright notices have been removed from your site
Go to Top of Page

Alfred

USA
1527 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2010 :  17:12:21  Show Profile  Visit Alfred's Homepage
Yes, I tried to find how and when those links got lost, but couldn't. I suspect that that happened years ago during all the modifications we went through, but was never intended.
I even had trouble making a new one on the bottom of the default page.
If I can put that link in the inc_footer.asp file it should show up on most pages, shouldn't it?

Alfred
The Battle Group
CREDO
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2010 :  19:42:12  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
it is also the copyright metatags which should be in the inc_header file that are missing
Go to Top of Page

Alfred

USA
1527 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2010 :  20:19:58  Show Profile  Visit Alfred's Homepage
I found a text file of it in the backup folder: http://www.ggholiday.com/bg/FORUMS/inc_header.txt
So, if I copy the below code and paste it into my inc_header.asp file, it will make things right?

'## START - REMOVAL, MODIFICATION OR CIRCUMVENTING THIS CODE WILL VIOLATE THE SNITZ FORUMS 2000 LICENSE AGREEMENT
Response.Write "<meta name=""copyright"" content=""This Forum code is Copyright (C) 2000-02 Michael Anderson, Pierre Gorissen, Huw Reddick and Richard Kinser, Non-Forum Related code is Copyright (C) " & strCopyright & """>" & vbNewline
'## END - REMOVAL, MODIFICATION OR CIRCUMVENTING THIS CODE WILL VIOLATE THE SNITZ FORUMS 2000 LICENSE AGREEMENT

Alfred
The Battle Group
CREDO
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2010 :  04:57:39  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
yes, thankyou
Go to Top of Page

Alfred

USA
1527 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2010 :  11:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Alfred's Homepage
Okay, Huw, I shall proceed with that as soon as my server has restored my files. This is the last response I got on my trouble ticket:

"Thanks for this update but this is what we have already discovered, your links to images were broken. As the permanent solution in this case, we may try to restore your domain from the server back. If you want to proceed with restoration then let us know the preferable date of the backup copy that should be used for this.
As the alternative way, please ask your developer to correct links to images in your source code directly."

I have the suspicion that they moved some folders around (possibly between different servers), and one of the installed extensions (Frontpage?) automatically changed my links. Then it was moved in a different way without changing them back to what they were before. Does that sound feasible?
I will take them up on their offer to do a backup restoration to a date just before this error showed up.

Alfred
The Battle Group
CREDO
Go to Top of Page

Alfred

USA
1527 Posts

Posted - 08 February 2010 :  01:14:31  Show Profile  Visit Alfred's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Davio

Might want to check the image settings, in the admin options. The urls for the image is incorrect.

It is set to "images/.images".
It has been unchanged by me for close to ten years.

Alfred
The Battle Group
CREDO
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 08 February 2010 :  01:44:37  Show Profile
Then change it to "images/" and we can worry about how it got change afterwards.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

Alfred

USA
1527 Posts

Posted - 08 February 2010 :  11:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Alfred's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Davio

Then change it to "images/" and we can worry about how it got change afterwards.

Dang it all - it worked!
It must be close to ten years ago when I looked at these settings last, and it always worked fine before last week.
How on earth did that second ".images" get in there?
I just hate mysteries!
Thank you, Dario, for hanging with me.

Alfred
The Battle Group
CREDO
Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2010 :  02:11:51  Show Profile
Hello Alfred,

Are you going to put this back now that your site is working again?:
quote:
Originally posted by Alfred

'## START - REMOVAL, MODIFICATION OR CIRCUMVENTING THIS CODE WILL VIOLATE THE SNITZ FORUMS 2000 LICENSE AGREEMENT
Response.Write "<meta name=""copyright"" content=""This Forum code is Copyright (C) 2000-02 Michael Anderson, Pierre Gorissen, Huw Reddick and Richard Kinser, Non-Forum Related code is Copyright (C) " & strCopyright & """>" & vbNewline
'## END - REMOVAL, MODIFICATION OR CIRCUMVENTING THIS CODE WILL VIOLATE THE SNITZ FORUMS 2000 LICENSE AGREEMENT

It is a breach of the copyright not having it in.

Cheers,

David Greening
Go to Top of Page

Alfred

USA
1527 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2010 :  11:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Alfred's Homepage
I did already, plus the link to http://forum.snitz.com/ in the footer.

Alfred
The Battle Group
CREDO
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2010 :  12:02:00  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
you must have added it wrong, the copyright should be visible when you do a view source on your pages but it currently is not.
Go to Top of Page

Alfred

USA
1527 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2010 :  17:08:45  Show Profile  Visit Alfred's Homepage
Could you please check the inc_header file, which should be included in the default page:
http://www.ggholiday.com/bg/FORUMS/inc_header.txt

Alfred
The Battle Group
CREDO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07