134 Posts

Posted - 26 February 2010 :  07:21:10  Show Profile
Okay, thanks, that solved the problem.
Go to Top of Page

marckmcgill

Italy
134 Posts

Posted - 26 February 2010 :  08:35:11  Show Profile
Okay, so I have replaced the "new" forum files with the "old" ones containing all the mods etc.

I have on the dirve all the dbs_ files that, if I understand, should create the tables for the mods in the database, putting the appropriate defaults etc.

However, I can't understand how to use them as I can't logon as administrator, and if I remember well those files were launched from the admin panel. Is there something I can do? I actually don't even understand if these dbs_ are Access-specific or they do the job in mySQL as well.

Thanks for helping, have a nice weekend.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 26 February 2010 :  08:45:09  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Actually, migration should occur in two phases. You need to use the dbs files with the UNMODDED forum files, so that you can access admin options. Once you have used the unmodded files, just replace the unmodded files by the modded ones.

Let me ask you, though, these modded files are new forum version modded files, or are they files from a previous version?

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

marckmcgill

Italy
134 Posts

Posted - 26 February 2010 :  09:14:00  Show Profile
They are old-forum modded files, as suggested by HuwR.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 26 February 2010 :  09:20:50  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
So you're actually just upgrading the database?

Go to Top of Page

marckmcgill

Italy
134 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2010 :  02:59:10  Show Profile
Yes, as discussed above. Frankly speaking, I would have stick to the older version of mySQL as well if only it was still available. I'm upgrading the database only because there's nothing else I can do, and god only knows how many issues that would bring. It gives me a headache only to think about it.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2010 :  16:25:56  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Just changing the database won't do much, but you could compare your files with the latest version and update, at least for the most relevant new features.

Go to Top of Page

marckmcgill

Italy
134 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2010 :  03:32:30  Show Profile
Many thanks for your reply. I might try to upgrade the asp files as well in the future with the file compare software you suggested, although this operation looks diffcult to be managed on a modded forum.

Can someone please address my previous question? I have now an unmodded new forum installed and working on mySQL. How do I create into the database the tables that are still missing for the mods? Shall I upload the "old" modded forum with all of its files and try to create the new tables via the admin panel? Will I have to specify somewhere that I want them to be created in mySQL or will that be understood by the software?

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2010 :  07:08:52  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
the mods you installed should have come with scripts to create the relevant tables etc, you just need to reaply those db scripts
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2010 :  07:08:55  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
The only sure way would be to run the all dbs files for the mods you have. Do you still have them?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07