Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

grantw
Starting Member

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2009 :  02:37:10  Show Profile
Hi all,

Been mucking around with Snitz today and have set up a working forum on our AD2003 / IIS6 / SQL05 infrastructure.

All working well except for one issue. Administration.

I want to make a user a forum administrator, so I have edited their account, and set the type to Administrator. When this user tries to access the administration pages though, they are prompted to a username and login.

No known username and password works here.

Am I missing a fundamental step in the setup, or does this just not work?

Cheers,
Grant

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4206 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2009 :  05:25:42  Show Profile
If you want TWO OR MORE people to act as forum administrators, follow these steps: You'll need to replace several lines of code in a lot of the "admin_*.asp" files.
Look for the following lines (almost always near the top) in each admin_*.asp file:

if Session(strCookieURL & "Approval") <> "15916941253" then
	scriptname = split(request.servervariables("SCRIPT_NAME"),"/")
	Response.Redirect "admin_login.asp?target=" & scriptname(ubound(scriptname))
end if

Change them to say:

if mLev < 4 then
	scriptname = split(request.servervariables("SCRIPT_NAME"),"/")
	Response.Redirect "admin_login.asp?target=" & scriptname(ubound(scriptname))
end if

Note: This degrades security a bit, it allows all members with administrator-level access to modify your forum.

If you simply want to CHANGE the administrator to someone else, follow these steps instead:

In "config.asp", there's a place to set a user number for the Forum Administrator (there is only one position). In Snitz 3.4.07 within "config.asp":

Look for the following (appx line 88):

Const intAdminMemberID = 1

Change the numeral 1 to the member ID of the person who is going to be the forum administrator

Save "config.asp". Have the member sign in and try again. Should fix it.
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2009 :  13:05:00  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
Carefree, that's great for the Super Admin account... though I suspect that isn't related to this problem.

quote:
When this user tries to access the administration pages though, they are prompted to a username and login.
Is it the server prompting or the forum? Also, are you using the NT Authentication or DB Authentication?

Since I've been working with this particular bit of code recently I suspect its a server configuration issue. What is the Authentication level on the server? (Integrated, Basic, Digest, etc. - and is "Allow Anonymous Access" checked?)

You mention using AD, did you change the NT Authentication code or are you using Snitz "out of the box"?
Go to Top of Page

grantw
Starting Member

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 16 June 2009 :  20:42:39  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice guys, will try your solution Carefree and post back with results.

AnonJr, the Snitz forum is presenting a login box at this occasion, not the server.

Authentication type is NT.

As for server config, anonymous access is disabled. Authentication level is integrated.

Also, Snitz has only been unzipped and configured. I haven't begun any code hacking yet, but I am sure this will follow.

Cheers.
Grant
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 16 June 2009 :  22:05:06  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
If Authentication is set to NT, then it (the Snitz forum) shouldn't be prompting for a password at all... it may show a button to submit credentials, but it shouldn't be asking for a password.

First thing I would check is if the configuration changes were saved. If you look in the FORUM_CONFIG_NEW table, check and see what strAuthType is set to.

Not knowing how long you've been a server admin, or what your skill level is, please don't take this wrong - I've seen some people confused by the server's credential prompt and taking it for the forum prompting - if possible, a screen-shot of what you're looking at might help too. It could be that the browser isn't configured properly and its not automatically sending the credentials (which, now that I think about it, only works with IE... are you using a different browser?).

And yes, sooner or later we all succumb to the need to tweak.
Go to Top of Page

grantw
Starting Member

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 16 June 2009 :  23:41:05  Show Profile
Hi AnonJr,

No offense taken, but it was definitely a Snitz prompt for password.

strAuthType is set to NT

Pass through authentication is definitely working, Snitz identifies the user automatically at the top right of the screen, it just prompts for a password when you click on the Admin Options link.

Edit:
Carefree, your solution seems to let the user into the Admin Options pages, but they still can't edit administrator accounts.

Edited by - grantw on 16 June 2009 23:52:39
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2009 :  08:26:10  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
The screen-shot keeps timing out here at work, so I'll check in again when I get home tonight. Its still odd that its prompting for a password with NT Authentication... I'm using it here at work and I've not seen that behaviour except as a server issue.

I'm sure the screen-shot will clarify.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07