snitz LDAP module
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dylan.math
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2008 :  03:48:03  Show Profile
Does anyone know how to interface snitz with LDAP, or if it's already been done before?

Cheers<

Edited by - AnonJr on 24 July 2008 06:53:31

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2008 :  04:33:44  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
What would you want to do with that?<

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2008 :  06:59:32  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
Have you looked at the NT Authentication routine in inc_func_common.asp?<
Go to Top of Page

dylan.math
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2008 :  23:30:29  Show Profile
I just had a look at the NTauth functions and was wondering where exactly they're used within snitz. what i was planning on doing, was creating a seperate asp login page that would query an ldap schema, make sure the user exists, then if the user exists store the username and pass into session vars and insert them directly into the existing user table, basically so users don't have to create a new password. have you encountered anything similar to this or done this before. I'm having trouble finding the asp code to query the ldap so any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
thanks<
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2008 :  06:53:16  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
I use the forum on an intranet at work. I'm assuming that this is not a public site you're talking about.

In the Main Forum Configuration, set the Authentication Type from DB to NT and it will use those NT Authentication functions instead of the DB Username/password.

(I'm also moving this to the appropriate forum.)<
Go to Top of Page

dylan.math
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 25 July 2008 :  00:42:34  Show Profile
thankyou for your help, using NT auth makes everything much simpler. There is one thing I've noticed using NT auth though. When a new user registers, the email link that they're sent doesn't activate the account immediately, I have to log in as admin and activate the account manually. Is there a way to change this as there will be many users registering and I may not always be around to make sure they are activated and thus able to post to the forum.

thanks again<
Go to Top of Page

dylan.math
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 25 July 2008 :  03:18:32  Show Profile
I've also been experiencing a few bugs in relation to NT auth. When I attempt to amend profile details in NT auth, it throws the invalid username or password error. I'm not too sure why this is happening as I'm already logged in as Admin through NT, why would it say I don't have access to my own account?

thanks<
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 25 July 2008 :  05:51:13  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
Last I checked, there shouldn't be any e-mails sent out when you use NT Authentication... have you made any changes to the code? (other than editing config.asp as per the readme.htm)

As to the user name issue, if your user name isn't the same as your Windows logon, you may run into some issues. A quick fix is to go into the database and change it.<
Go to Top of Page

dylan.math
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 27 July 2008 :  20:56:47  Show Profile
AnonJr,
when a new user using nt auth directs to my forum, it prompts "please register to post in these forums". With a "forgot your admin password" link below that. when the register link is followed, it directs to the registration page with the account name field already locked as the NT username. Upon entering an email address a confirmation email is sent to that address saying the user can now post in the forums, however even after logging in and out of NT the newly registered user still cannot post until the admin account has activated the account manually. is there a workaround for this so admin doesn't have to manually activate the accounts - as it's an intranet everyone using nt auth is legitimate. i've looked through the readme.htm and didn't see anything about editing config.asp when changing to nt auth. where/which readme.html file is this found in? also a bit unrelated, is it possible to copy/paste images into a post? i have noticed in the forumcode there is an insert img option but i'm a bit unsure of how to use it.

thanks<
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 27 July 2008 :  21:51:23  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
Hmmm. That is odd, though I have to admit that I'm using a modified version of the code and I use the "Auto Login" feature. (found under "NT Features on the Admin page)

I'll have to look through the base code and see how the NT registration process works with Auto Login set to "off". It still shouldn't be sending the conformation e-mails though... Just for reference, are you using a "vanilla" install? (no MODs, and no code changes other than those specified in the readme) and which version are you using?

As a side note, since its an intranet, you can set "E-mail Validation" to off in "E-mail Server Configuration". That may be the real culprit. I would think that NT Authentication would ignore it, but who knows.

As for the images, you can't just cut n' paste the image. It has to be hosted somewhere or you will have to write/use some upload capability to your forum. There are a couple of MODs out there (check www.snitzbitz.com ) - however, they are getting a little long in the tooth. They work, and others are using them now on their 3.4.06 forums. It just takes a little extra work. One of these days I'd like to see (or more likely build myself) a better MOD. But, work has kept me from investing the time I'd need to do something like that.<
Go to Top of Page

dylan.math
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 27 July 2008 :  23:11:35  Show Profile
AnonJr,

you were correct - I had experimented with the auto login feature and found that it was attempting to set up the user 50 times each time the page was refreshed, this was because of the email validation being set to on. once I turned this off, the autologin worked perfectly and users was logged in straight away. In regard to the images, I figured another mod would have to be added to upload and add attachments (pics). I'm running the newest version but already have quite a few mods in place and was hoping to keep it as simple as possible as the more changes I make to code the more chance of things going wrong.

The only thing left that isn't working is the ability to edit members. When logged in as forum admin in nt auth, when I click on the pencil next to a member in the members page, I get a "No permissions to modify a member" error with two links below it asking to go back to re-authenticate and go back to forum. Because it's in nt auth, there isn't an authencation process. Shouldn't the code simply check whether or not the user is admin? The only way to do it is to change back to db auth, edit the member, then change back to nt auth. I want to be able to edit members in nt auth and set certain people as moderators/administrators. Do you have any ideas of a setting conflict that would cause this?
thanks again for all your help<
Go to Top of Page

dylan.math
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 28 July 2008 :  00:43:41  Show Profile
also, since making the change the new users that are added automatically using nt auth can't actually post new topics, with an error saying "Invalid username or password". There seem to be so many conflicting settings that keep giving me errors, if I set one thing it effects another type thing. What other important features have you turned on/off in your forum setup and does yours use email notification?<
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 28 July 2008 :  06:37:04  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
I'd build a test forum using a clean Snitz install and start from there as I suspect one or more of the MODs may not have been added correctly.

Also, go into the database and make sure that M_USERNAME has your Windows user name in it. If its not right, change it and that should fix at least one of your problems. M_USERNAME should be populated with the NT usernames of all your members. If its not being properly populated, that gives us a place to start looking.

As for the e-mail, I went in and removed all e-mail functionality since when I'd first set it up our IST department foolishly didn't give everyone an internal e-mail account... don't ask.<
Go to Top of Page

dylan.math
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12 August 2008 :  02:02:43  Show Profile
hi AnonJr,

i hadn't looked at the forum for a while as i was very close to scrapping the whole thing, but i spent some time searching on the net for a fix and found one. for nt auth to work in the newest version of snitz, the below line must be commented out in the file inc_func_common.asp

MemberID = rsCheck("MEMBER_ID")
strDBNTUserName = rsCheck("M_NAME")
if (rsCheck("MEMBER_ID") & "" = fAuthor & "") and (cLng(rsCheck("M_LEVEL")) <> 3) then

check this link out: http://forum.snitz.com/Forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=63181

i can't believe all the problems stemmed from one line that was apparently introduced in the version upgrade, actually i sort of can believe it, as it's always the case.

thanks again for all your help and will make sure i post again if there are any more problems (which there shouldn't be).

cheers

dylan<
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 12 August 2008 :  11:18:24  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
I'll have to look into that one a little more. Glad you got everything working. <
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07