Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Google AdSense | What I've learned recently.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 14 April 2008 :  11:27:22  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage

It wasn't highly publicized so I'm guessing that most of you know nothing of what I'm about to tell you.

Google has implemented what they call "Smart Pricing". We all know how secretive Google is about their algorithms and this is no different. I could go into detail about what Google and others have said about it but I won't. Basically if you put together everything you could read, it boils doing to this....

The quality of your little corner of the AdSense Network, affects how much you get paid. This is at the account level, not the site level.

So if you perform like garbage, you will likely get paid garbage. If you have one site with a very low click-through, overall poor performance, you may make more money if you remove ads from it.

The first step I performed was removing all useless impressions. I've found that if a member is going to a page for a specific reason they will not click on an ad.

1. Post.asp, they go straight to the post box and start typing.

2. Members.asp, they're looking for a member.

3. Search.asp, they're looking for info.

You get the idea. Through testing I have found that ads on these pages are almost never clicked. These dead impressions are dragging you down. Right now the only pages that get impressions for me are default.asp, forum.asp, and topic.asp. Yes, I've removed them from active.asp. I've found that 90% of active.asp impressions are dead. We have a ton of members that set it to refresh every minute or two. How many of those refreshes actually get looked at? My guess is not many. CTR is extremely low on active.asp.

I did this and my revenue almost instantly improved, fairly significantly. Your mileage may vary.

Switch the order of your title tags

weeweeslap

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 21 April 2008 :  20:06:26  Show Profile  Visit weeweeslap's Homepage  Send weeweeslap an AOL message  Send weeweeslap a Yahoo! Message
I've been doing some testing as well with a new website I am developing and it uses a forum as well. I stripped the forum of all adsense code and only placed the code in the submitted articles where people go to read. I get very little ad impressions now and clicks remain the same as before but the payout is nice when they click. I am going to test this on my major website and remove all useless ads scattered around the site.

coaster crazy
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 22 April 2008 :  05:58:31  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
Good tips, and in fact it sounds pretty logical when thinking of it.....I'll start the cleanup on oxle.com

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 22 April 2008 :  06:12:33  Show Profile
A general rule I use for advertising is to never place any ads on a page which the visitor will access looking for a specific piece of information or to perform a specific action as that's all they will be focusing on on that particular page.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07