Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

mios

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2005 :  15:13:32  Show Profile  Send mios an ICQ Message
quote:
Mios, you have tried to make this point once before /forum/topic.asp?topic_id=24862, and were then given the answer, if you still have a problem with the answer you were given, I suggest you contact the author of ASP-Dev who will put you straight.

I have contacted him (john penfold) an he confirmed the origional asp-dev forum was released under the GPL, so this forum is violating his license!

One interesting point to note on http://www.asp-dev.com/main.asp?page=1 there is a coment:
quote:

A number of other groups took the code (would of been nice if they would have asked!)

Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2005 :  15:21:09  Show Profile
I might be naive, but does the GPL say you have to ask first ?

I thought it just meant you could use it, but had to provide full source code.
Go to Top of Page

mios

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2005 :  15:31:04  Show Profile  Send mios an ICQ Message
quote:
Originally posted by laser

I might be naive, but does the GPL say you have to ask first ?

I thought it just meant you could use it, but had to provide full source code.

Yes that is the case, but you also have to respect the origional license... So the fact that snitz has additional requirements (link back) means that at the minimum the link back is not required and it's even possible that snitz it's self is in violation of the GPL as it didn't respect the GPL of the origional code.
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2005 :  15:32:06  Show Profile
mios, in what way are we violating his license? He released under the GPL. We are releasing it under the GPL. Apart from the accusations xyzzy is making, what else are you saying we are violating?

His comment is not reffering to Snitz. John Penfold was a developer here when Snitz was started. He helped us out with the code. So he had every knowledge what we were doing and was part of it. He also told us that he didn't want any reference back to him, but we insisted.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2005 :  15:40:52  Show Profile
quote:
So the fact that snitz has additional requirements (link back)

SO what ?? If it's not covered by the GPL then under the rules of common decency and acknowledgement of the investment of time I keep the link there.

Hyptothetically, let's say you can remove the link. Personally I don't help anyone who has removed the link and I think most other people here are the same. You are going to want help one day I guess
Go to Top of Page

mios

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2005 :  15:41:07  Show Profile  Send mios an ICQ Message
quote:
Originally posted by Davio

mios, in what way are we violating his license? He released under the GPL. We are releasing it under the GPL. Apart from the accusations xyzzy is making, what else are you saying we are violating?

His comment is not reffering to Snitz. John Penfold was a developer here when Snitz was started. He helped us out with the code. So he had every knowledge what we were doing and was part of it. He also told us that he didn't want any reference back to him, but we insisted.

But snitz isn't technicly GPL (as the link back requirement isn't part of the GPL). Unless this forum complies to the GPL which xyzzy is saying it isn't then snitzis in violation.

John Penfold wrote the origional asp-dev forum which snitz is derived from, saying that he helped out with the code is a bit of an understatement as the asp-dev forum was a complete forum which snitz took and modified.

My email from him (as well as his website) indicated there was not much in the way of permission given, in fact the reason he stopped dveoping thr forum was that he was miffed of the number of groups that took his code and made it there own.
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2005 :  16:20:33  Show Profile
quote:
My email from him (as well as his website) indicated there was not much in the way of permission given, in fact the reason he stopped dveoping thr forum was that he was miffed of the number of groups that took his code and made it there own.
"Miffed at the number of groups". Why do you think Snitz is in that group he is reffering to?

When I say he helped put with the code, I meant he actually helped us continue with the development after we started Snitz from his code.

I would suggest you email him back and ask him his thoughts on Snitz, instead of assuming he is reffering to Snitz in the groups that took his code. I know for a fact that John and Mike were in good standing at the time Mike decided to create Snitz based off of his work. Not to mention that permission was asked from John.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2005 :  19:45:15  Show Profile
In fact, I think this topic has been exhausted. xyzzy has made his point and intentions known. The admins have made thier point. If the Snitz copyright holders plan to do anything about what has been discussed, the Snitz community will know about it.

So I move to close the topic. All in favour say I. All against say nothing.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2005 :  19:51:19  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
I.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2005 :  19:52:36  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message
I agree. In fact I was hoping one of the admins would lock it and move it to a private area.

Podge.

The Hunger Site - Click to donate free food | My Blog | Snitz 3.4.05 AutoInstall (Beta!)

My Mods: CAPTCHA Mod | GateKeeper Mod
Tutorial: Enable subscriptions on your board

Warning: The post above or below may contain nuts.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07