Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Help Groups for Snitz Forums 2000 Users
 Help: General / Classic ASP versions(v3.4.XX)
 E-mail not sending: one possible solution
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TestMagic

USA
1568 Posts

Posted - 10 September 2002 :  19:48:05  Show Profile  Visit TestMagic's Homepage
First, I'm not sure whether this post belongs in the Help: General / Current Version section or here

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=89

in the Mail Configuration section. It seems a lot of email posts are in the general help section, so I'll post there first. Move if you feel it necessary.

I hope my experience getting my email up and running helps other people.

I was having a problem with all email functions of my forum, and was trying to get them sorted out. I read all the posts I could find related to 'email not working,' 'members not receiving email' etc., and was able to get some stuff figured out all by myself.

On my forum, after seeing dozens of members stacking up because they hadn't validated their registrations, I did a test registration using my own domain name. I received the email in seconds and was able to register. I therefore believed that all other members were receiving their messages as well.

However, after reading a couple other posts here about people not receiving emails only at Hotmail or Yahoo accounts (or something like that), I thought perhaps I had the opposite problem. I did a test registration for one of those accounts, and sure enough, I didn't receive any mail.

To make a short story shorter, I came to discover that my server would send email only to email addresses at my domain if I used the mail.mydomain.com standard for the mail server. So, I called my web host, and they gave me the proper server info. In my case, I had to use something like: win2000relay.securemailsystem.com instead of mail.mydomain.com to be able to send mail to everybody. I had to call them two times because the first rep didn't know what I was talking about and the senior rep later closed the trouble ticket because he could not "replicate the problem." So I called back again in a few days, re-explained, and found out what I needed to know. (Interestingly, this company, Interland, made a point of letting me know that they wouldn't help me beyond telling me that info. They basically said it wasn't their problem since I was using, as they said, "an advanced discussion group application." Made me remember how good support here is. )

I've done two test registrations and sent a couple test messages from the forum, and it's now working like a dream!! Snitz (and life) is wonderful!

Snitz rocks! · Search 2

Edited by - TestMagic on 11 September 2002 18:42:07

sji2671

United Kingdom
185 Posts

Posted - 10 September 2002 :  20:40:45  Show Profile  Visit sji2671's Homepage
<takes hat off 2 Snitz>

A valid story worth telling..
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 10 September 2002 :  20:45:11  Show Profile
thank you for sharing your experience.
Go to Top of Page

TestMagic

USA
1568 Posts

Posted - 10 September 2002 :  20:50:37  Show Profile  Visit TestMagic's Homepage
It's the least I can do, IMO.

Snitz rocks! · Search 2
Go to Top of Page

schef

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 13 September 2002 :  01:09:42  Show Profile  Visit schef's Homepage  Send schef an AOL message
thanks for the info... i did several tests on mine, and didnt have the same issue... so that is a good thing

ATV Outdoors
Go to Top of Page

bigpaul
Starting Member

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2002 :  01:08:29  Show Profile  Visit bigpaul's Homepage
Thanks. Same for me. From my forum, all mail only reaches those on the same domain, in this case, Telus. My web server does not do smtp. All my outgoing mail is handled by Telus, my isp, and a diferent company than my web host. So I can't call my web host to get a better address, because they do not handle outgoing mail. I have tried the various email components including CDOSYS and the ones that work all behave the same way. Any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2002 :  05:49:18  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
I'm closing this thread, because in this forum it's possible that you won't get the proper help. Bigpaul, please post again at the Help: Mail Configuration forum.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.4 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07