Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 29 January 2002 :  21:03:03  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
quote:

I haven't look at v4r3 requirements and not sure what are additional items. (Am still brand new - 4 days with Snitz...) - can you advise where I can get the file or know additional requirements.

Will post it when done....

Hi LeoRat,

You have to make the v4b2 to v4b3 changes to the lang1041.asp file by hand. They are relatively minor, but need to be done nevertheless. I was working on the changes, but I think it would be better to update your revised/proofread version of the file. Let me know when you post your revisions. I'll add the v4b3 changes then.

Ken

===============
The greatest tragedy is a child without a loving parent.<
Go to Top of Page

Dixon
Starting Member

Australia
15 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2002 :  02:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Dixon's Homepage
Hi LeoRat and seahorse,

I have saved the lang1041.asp (you used NCR Unicode format for it) that is posted in this forum then opened it in FrontPage. With just a few clicks, I now changed it into UTF-8 format. See if it is what you want:

Lang1041_utf8.html

Please open it in IE 4/5/6 or Netscape 4/6 and use View Source to see the original layout. I have not touched anything in the layout of the original lang1041.asp file. If you use Windows 2000 or XP then you can read the Japanese in NotePad after applying View Source .

WebTranslator

Edited by - Dixon on 30 January 2002 03:14:51<
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

593 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2002 :  07:16:32  Show Profile
Hi Dixon and Seahorse,

Thanks, Dixon. Tremendous. I now finished my first round - back in Notepad, setting Font to MS Mincho and using Global IME input (mine is Win XP Home, not XP Pro). Worked beautifully. Saved the edits txt files into UTP-8 unicode, EUC, Shift-JIS, and also converted them into HTM. So, it works.

Seahorse - please go to the below link to get my revision. There are some expressions not clear...and some like "can of worms" is tough to translate. Hopefully I didn't miss any of corruped chars for "a" and "ken" which appear repeatedly...

http://www.geocities.com/tosakko2001/lang1041/

You will see Shift-JIS version and UTP8 (unicode) version in there.

LeoRat

<
Go to Top of Page

Dixon
Starting Member

Australia
15 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2002 :  09:40:57  Show Profile  Visit Dixon's Homepage
Hi LeoRat,

Please don't take it offensive. We are looking for an optimised way to display Japanese in Unicode right? So here are just a few notes on the file:

The lang1041-UTF8.htm looks all right but not all right.
1. The file size is clutched with Office/ Word tags which made the size of the file expands to 736 kb and that is over 3 times more than what it should be. If FrontPage or NotePad 2000 is used to create or edit the file, the size of it would be around 225 kb.
2. Wrong meta tag used: charset=windows-1252 as this CodePage will override all the Japanese text used in this html page. It may corrupt data in IE 5 and earlier version. It will tell the browser to use Western European (Windows) codepage to display Japanese instead of the Ja.
3. It is not UTF-8 is used in the page. It is NCR (Numeric Character Reference) which bares this form:
is used. This is the default Unicode form used in most Microsoft programs and will be fine if you expect all visitors to your forums to use IE as Netscape 4.x users will not be able to read the text.
4. Fonts are not needed to apply in this stage as long as the file is saved in UTF-8 format and Japanese could be read in NotePad 2000. Meta tag using charset=utf-8 will be needed to display Japanese on this page and hence on every page that require Japanese.
5. One thing that I don't understand is the use of Times New Roman for some Japanese text as that font is not a hanzi font?
Hope that these notes may help.

WebTranslator

Edited by - Dixon on 30 January 2002 09:44:28<
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

593 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2002 :  16:52:59  Show Profile
Hi Dixon,

Thanks again for your help..(Am learning). Will clean up my acts a little. Will re-work.

LeoRat

<
Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2002 :  02:02:35  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
quote:

1. The file size is clutched with Office/ Word tags which made the size of the file expands to 736 kb and that is over 3 times more than what it should be. If FrontPage or NotePad 2000 is used to create or edit the file, the size of it would be around 225 kb.
2. Wrong meta tag used: charset=windows-1252 as this CodePage will override all the Japanese text used in this html page. It may corrupt data in IE 5 and earlier version. It will tell the browser to use Western European (Windows) codepage to display Japanese instead of the Ja.
3. It is not UTF-8 is used in the page. It is NCR (Numeric Character Reference) which bares this form:
$BNO(B
is used. This is the default Unicode form used in most Microsoft programs and will be fine if you expect all visitors to your forums to use IE as Netscape 4.x users will not be able to read the text.
4. Fonts are not needed to apply in this stage as long as the file is saved in UTF-8 format and Japanese could be read in NotePad 2000. Meta tag using charset=utf-8 will be needed to display Japanese on this page and hence on every page that require Japanese.
5. One thing that I don't understand is the use of Times New Roman for some Japanese text as that font is not a hanzi font?

Hi Dixon, LeoRat

Is the file you posted "clean"? By that I mean free of the issues you mentioned above? Thanks to both of you for all of your help. There was no way I was going to do the Japanese translation my myself.

LeoRat, I've looked at the link you provided above, but there isn't anything available on the site. Have you taken down the files?

Ken

===============
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

593 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2002 :  18:47:44  Show Profile
Hi Seahorse,

I took the files off the site. Unicode file Dixon posted is very clean (i.e. all char corruptions I mentioned is more due to my enviornment problem....gee, I was obviously using wrong encoding scheme in a mix and match environment...). Will upload a newly revised version as soon as it is done.

I started editing Dixon's Japanese Unicode source in a copy with some additional changes (or fine tuning context) but realized that it wasn't fully downloaded...the file was missing a portion after strLangProp_Moderate00020.... So now, I downloaded it again so that I can do re-work.... Will be patching up both the copy and the newly downloaded one, but should be clean - consistent in unicode format that Dixon provided. I will include some additional comments just under Dixon's which you can remove.

There are some questions you can help clarifying:

1. What exactly does Dropping Table or Table Dropping? I am not clear as to this feature and not quite sure what exactly it means...does it mean you can drop a table in the message or something like that? like "Drop in" the mail in a mail box type?

2. Also explain what exactly Topic NOWRAP Right/left does...I kind of know word wrapping features and similar items and assume tis is something similar. Does this mean no wrap on the right (at the end of sentences??? for right? NOWRAP Right and NOWRAP Left is to define no wrapping on either on the right side or on the left side?????

3. What is Alpha - is this for Alphabet?

4. What basically inolved for Subscribe/unsubscribe - it appears more like joining/not joining (like to be a member of a Forum, Topic, etc. rather than "subscribe" to a magazine, which is more of an usual "subscribe" usage... can you clarify this?

Also, there is some inconsistency in using ? and B- some uses them and some don't...this is up to your judgement and I am not going to touch them, unless it is very obviously better to have them at the end.

Yeah, ganbara nakku cha...

And, Dixon - thanks for your help. Obviously, I had some encoding issues on my side.

LeoRat

<
Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2002 :  21:44:21  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
quote:

1. What exactly does Dropping Table or Table Dropping? I am not clear as to this feature and not quite sure what exactly it means...does it mean you can drop a table in the message or something like that? like "Drop in" the mail in a mail box type?

This refers to dropping tables from the database.

quote:

3. What is Alpha - is this for Alphabet?

Where does this appear? It has been a while since I went through the complete file.

quote:

4. What basically inolved for Subscribe/unsubscribe - it appears more like joining/not joining (like to be a member of a Forum, Topic, etc. rather than "subscribe" to a magazine, which is more of an usual "subscribe" usage... can you clarify this?

Subscribe and unsubscribe is the feature which sends you email update messages when new messages are posted to a category, forum, or topic.

quote:

Also, there is some inconsistency in using ? and B- some uses them and some don't...this is up to your judgement and I am not going to touch them, unless it is very obviously better to have them at the end.

Please feel free to change the areas you think need changing. There was no real clear policy when I used punctuation. I just included it when I felt like it.

Thanks for your help.

Ken

===============
Go to Top of Page

aldebaran
Starting Member

Spain
30 Posts

Posted - 02 February 2002 :  17:32:17  Show Profile
quote:

Hi LeoRat,

Please don't take it offensive. We are looking for an optimised way to display Japanese in Unicode right? So here are just a few notes on the file:

—Í

WebTranslator

Edited by - Dixon on 30 January 2002 09:44:28

Sorry, but I can't load your page in the global.asa. I have the same problems that I had with the Sehorse's page. When I try to load the page in the global.asa I have problems with unfinished strings.

<
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2002 :  17:39:48  Show Profile
I'll archive this older topic although it has nice info in it. Please continue the topic in WORKGROUP: Japanese link...
<

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07